Computer Projections for VA and NC State Finals

Liam McPoyle

VIRGINIA

CLASS 1 CHAMPIONSHIP
Riverheads 35 George Wythe-W 21;    Riverheads with an 81% chance of winning

CLASS 2 CHAMPIONSHIP
Graham 31 Central (Woodstock) 26;   Graham with a 61% chance of winning

CLASS 3 CHAMPIONSHIP
Phoebus (Hampton) 31 Heritage (Lynchburg) 21;   Phoebus with a 74% chance of winning 

CLASS 4 CHAMPIONSHIP
Dinwiddie 42  Kettle Run (Nokesville) 26;   Dinwiddie with an 86% chance of winning 

CLASS 5 CHAMPIONSHIP
Highland Springs 28 Maury (Norfolk) 20;  Highland Springs with a 72% chance of winning

CLASS 6 CHAMPIONSHIP
Freedom (Woodbridge) 44  James Madison (Vienna) 21;   Freedom-W with a 93% chance of winning

NORTH CAROLINA

1A CHAMPIONSHIP
 Mount Airy 34 Tarboro 21 ;  Mt Airy with an 80% chance of winning 

2A CHAMPIONSHIP
Reidsville 31  East Duplin (Beulaville) 22;   Reidsville with a 73% chance of winning 

3A CHAMPIONSHIP
East Lincoln (Denver) 20  Northern Nash (Rocky Mount) 17;   East Lincoln with a 58% chance of winning 

4A CHAMPIONSHIP
New Bern 38 Grimsley (Greensboro) 35;    New Bern with a 58% chance of winning 

Source: CalPreps

Interesting facts about some of the North Carolina schools playing in the state finals.

• New Bern is the childhood home of the AOL "You've Got Mail" voice. His name is Elwood Edwards. He is still doing voiceover work.
  • Grimsley produced nationally syndicated radio DJ Rick Dees, current NFL player DJ Reader, current NBA player Aaron Wiggins, and former Raycom ACC broadcaster Mike Hogewood. 
  • East Lincoln produced current NFL player Chazz Surratt and current MLB player Alec Burleson.
  • Northern Nash hired head coach Andrew Farriss after a 1-10 season in 2017. Farriss was a math teacher at the high school. To that point, they hadn't had a winning season since 2001. He went 3-7 his first year and hasn't had a losing season since. They are currently 15-0. 
  • East Duplin coach Battle Holley is a 3rd generation football coach in Duplin County. His dad coached Wallace-Rose Hill and complied a 233-83-1 career record. 
  • Reidsville is vying for their 24th state championship in football!!!
  • Tarboro produced NFL players Todd Gurley, Tyquan Lewis, and Shaun Draughn. Head coach Mike Craddock has lost 20 games since 2008. He has a 193-43 record (24-23 after 4 seasons, 169-20 since) and 8 state championships.
  • Mount Airy is the childhood home and alma-mater of Andy Griffith. Current Wake Forest star WR Donavon Greene played for Mount Airy the last time they reached the state finals in 2017. 

For whatever its worth to Hokie fans out there, Mount Airy star Tyler Mason was wearing VT gloves during the game Friday night. https://journalnow.com/sports/photos-mount-airy-35-6-over-draughn-in-nchsaa-1-a-west-region-finals/collection_6ddcfa04-728c-11ed-9ece-8767aae19533.html#2

2 stand outs to me in those computer picks.  I'm surprised Graham and Central is that close and I'm surprised Phoebus and Heritage are that close.  As for Phoebus, the all world QB is still not a definate to play Saturday as he got injured, but the computer can't account for this, so this one really surprises me that they have Heritage and Phoebus this close.  Graham and Central is a surprise because the Valley area hasn't been very well liked by the computers over the last few years.  I think Central closed the gap with Graham in the computers because of the way they beat Poquoson.  The computers have liked Poquoson all year, and I will even admit that Central beating Poquoson that bad surprised me also.  Guys, King William was not the football team of last year, but they were still a very, very good football team this year.  Poquoson beat them at King William, then Poquoson got completely taken apart at Woodstock.  

I think the computers get the Phoebus game and the Graham game very wrong.  I think both are significantly wider than the margin's of victory predicted.