evan hankins

Going to play for Billy Wagner

I understand the desire to play for a higher-level program, but he's already got his college choice sewn up & I wish he would have stayed local (even though he plays for our arch rivals)

Personal choices are unique to every individual. I understand wanting this kid to stay local but is that realistically the best thing for him?

Miller School plays a 40 game schedule all over the eastern seaboard. They will play a dozen (or more) games every year against kids that will be drafted in the opening rounds of the MLB draft. And he will still have time to continue playing travel ball. Miller School isn't limited to the practice requirements of VHSL, which hurt athletes that play one sport year-round. JSB can't compete with that. 

8 hours ago, V-Cats said:

Going to play for Billy Wagner

I understand the desire to play for a higher-level program, but he's already got his college choice sewn up & I wish he would have stayed local (even though he plays for our arch rivals)

He has a commitment to where he wants to go to college, but he has a better chance of that staying a committable offer by playing well against higher levels of competition as well.  Whether that be in HS or travel.

6 hours ago, sixcat said:

Personal choices are unique to every individual. I understand wanting this kid to stay local but is that realistically the best thing for him?

Miller School plays a 40 game schedule all over the eastern seaboard. They will play a dozen (or more) games every year against kids that will be drafted in the opening rounds of the MLB draft. And he will still have time to continue playing travel ball. Miller School isn't limited to the practice requirements of VHSL, which hurt athletes that play one sport year-round. JSB can't compete with that. 

This is a no-brainer decision: Hankins should absolutely go to Miller School.  Baseball's its own animal when it comes to seeking opportunity for elite players.  I know that there's been a hullabaloo over his commitment to Tennessee...but let's not kid ourselves.  Hankins is well within the Top 10 rounds of the 2025 MLB Draft, and virtually no player that falls in that range attends college.  The slot contract values are much too high to justify it.  Baseball America (the preeminent baseball publication in America) listed its Top 50 high school draft prospects for 2025, and Hankins came in at #39.  The difference in Hankins staying at Battle and improving his draft stock at Miller School is literally hundreds of thousands of dollars.  Even if he doesn't raise his stock, he'll still have a choice to make between taking a slot value of $150K or going to Tennessee for 3 years.  The floor is exactly the same, and the ceiling is WAY higher.

A good friend of mine coaches baseball at one of the schools in Albemarle County/Charlottesville.  He's had multiple players essentially "poached" from his program by Miller School over the years.  That's neither here nor there, but Miller School does its fair share of 'cruitin'.

Good move for the kid and his family. You have to follow opportunities for your kids, they don’t get do-overs and no one is as vested in their success as their parents.  There are a lot of coaches that just aren’t going to look out for the kids interests beyond high school, although I do believe he was in the best position he could be in the region with John Battle (or Abingdon). But, it doesn’t compare to Miller and playing for Wagner.

On 7/6/2023 at 10:43 AM, Stelley said:

So my guess is that battle will not repeat as region champs. They are still a very talented squad but losing that big of a bat and arm is very crucial.

Battle still has a lot of talent returning for next year. Would not sell them short. Strong arms and up and comers