Week 1: Honaker at Lebanon (8/24)

Rev833

34 minutes ago, SwvaOG said:

IMHO, Honaker is that good.  Looks like they have embraced and practiced some Air Raid concepts in the passing game.  If you go in on that it can be hard to stop, especially in an area that isn't known for high caliber DBs.  If I were 1D, I'd spend some extra time watching film and adding some wrinkles to my defensive coverages.  Now, it will be interesting to see what happens when the Tigers go up against a ball-control grind-it-down-your throat offense like a Grundy or Patrick Henry.  I don't think Lebanon is that good.  They were always a bottom two team in the SWD. 

Rumor has it Grundy is terrible Honaker may beat them worse than Lebanon.

27 minutes ago, KW23 said:

Rumor has it Grundy is terrible Honaker may beat them worse than Lebanon.

Yeah, they lost alot.  I should have mentioned it as a hypothetical matchup against a team like last year's Grundy team.

1 hour ago, SwvaOG said:

IMHO, Honaker is that good.  Looks like they have embraced and practiced some Air Raid concepts in the passing game.  If you go in on that it can be hard to stop, especially in an area that isn't known for high caliber DBs.  If I were 1D, I'd spend some extra time watching film and adding some wrinkles to my defensive coverages.  Now, it will be interesting to see what happens when the Tigers go up against a ball-control grind-it-down-your throat offense like a Grundy or Patrick Henry.  I don't think Lebanon is that good.  They were always a bottom two team in the SWD. 

Grundy will pose no resistence to Honaker. That Rye Cove matchup in week 3 will be a really good litmus test for both teams. Outside of that, maybe Narrows or PH can hang, and I think RR will be a sleeper team. But by and large, there's no reason this Honaker team doesn't go 8-2 at worst.

I think many of us have a skewed understanding of what is good when compared to other Class 1 or Class 2 teams. 
Honaker, rightfully playing Class 1 teams, is very good comparatively. I see them 9-1 or 10-0. Compared to the usual Class 2 suspects in our area of SWVA without regard to enrollment, my best guess is far behind Graham, but good matchups with Union, Tazewell, and Ridgeview (who I’m used to comparing due to Richlands schedule). Frankly, Gate City, Central, and Virginia High are a mystery to me, so I’m basing the trend on recent season results.

Great win for the Tigers nonetheless! Good luck the rest of the season!

2 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

Grundy will pose no resistence to Honaker. That Rye Cove matchup in week 3 will be a really good litmus test for both teams. Outside of that, maybe Narrows or PH can hang, and I think RR will be a sleeper team. But by and large, there's no reason this Honaker team doesn't go 8-2 at worst.

grundy won't win a game from a team outside of Buchanan county this year