Upcoming Scimmages/Benefit Games

Wade_1

I watched Galax scrimmage Glenvar last week and play the first regular season game against Alleghany (NC) last night. Galax is still missing three players who are on the football team. Two of those will likely start on the basketball team. Still, Galax more than held their own against Glenvar and beat the brakes off of Alleghany last night 61-34. It's hard to tell how good Galax will actually be but I think it's a marked improvement over what's been on the court the past several years. I'm sure Glenvar was missing a few still playing football and Alleghany didn't look very good. Galax will play Christiansburg next week. 

1 hour ago, Wade_1 said:

Any standouts? Who led each team?

Only watched it on nfhs and these are not official. Pretty sure that Reece and Boyd for at least 30-35. And the big guy for abingdon (does anyone know how tall he is? I would guess 6’8) was an absolute demon in the paint -probably had at least 15 just from the paint. The left handed shooter from abingdon had 3 or 4 threes. Should be interesting bc Lebanon and abingdons are each others first official games since eastside had to postpone due to sickness

1 hour ago, Stelley said:

Only watched it on nfhs and these are not official. Pretty sure that Reece and Boyd for at least 30-35. And the big guy for abingdon (does anyone know how tall he is? I would guess 6’8) was an absolute demon in the paint -probably had at least 15 just from the paint. The left handed shooter from abingdon had 3 or 4 threes. Should be interesting bc Lebanon and abingdons are each others first official games since eastside had to postpone due to sickness

he is actually 6'11"   

4 hours ago, Stelley said:

Crazy. In warmups, on the nfhs camera it looked like he was standing on his tip toes and throwing it down 

his jumping ability isn't that impressive so that could have been his actual vertical!!!  I spoke with him back in the summer,  he could be over 7' now!!!

15 minutes ago, stan.the.man said:

his jumping ability isn't that impressive so that could have been his actual vertical!!!  I spoke with him back in the summer,  he could be over 7' now!!!

And do you know if abingdon usually subs all 5 at the same time or was that just bc it was a benefit game

5 hours ago, IRISH-FAN18 said:

Grundy beat Richlands 67-25 in the season opener. If Grundy can put it all together, they'll be dangerous.

That's about as bad as Tazewell got beat last night. Looks like Tazewell/Richlands game will be a low scoring barn burner. 

4 hours ago, Stelley said:

And do you know if abingdon usually subs all 5 at the same time or was that just bc it was a benefit game

I don't know,  I haven't seen them play in a couple years now!!  not sure who is coaching this year,  my guess is the same coach as last year!!  Their talent level is down!!