Thoughts on the 2003 James Monroe Mavericks

MavsRock

Entering the season with 1 returning starter, a new coach, and an offense foreign to everyone on the team, many people expected JM to be simply horrible, others knew better of it. The problem with the Mavs this year was the defense, because of being somewhat undersized, and very inexperiened. The problems on that side of the ball were often offset by the explosiveness of Andrew Roberston and Tanre Franklin.

When Robertson was injured after the Narrows game, JM lost both one of it's top top 2 threats, and possibly it's best cornerback. They missed him badly in the last three games. Good season, all things considered, we'll be back next year as one of the top powers in the state again. cool.gif

overall i , even though i am a Green Wave, was impressed with the way the boys handled the new offense and a new coach...i am under the impression that most of the boys had played the single wing offense in peewee and midget league though...i do think JM will be a powerful football team next year (even though i hope narrows beats you guys).

I also thought they did a fine job with the single wing the first year. I also think the defense will need to get better next year. No other teams in Monroe County run the wing. Good luck to The Green Wave next year.....

wv_helmet.jpg

James Monroe had an exceptional season for a team that had so much going against them. As many mentioned above, a new coach, only 1 returning player, and a new, complex offensive scheme. Going 7-4 (Final record I believe) was very good for such an undermaned team, and this will only give JM good ground to build upon next year. I congratulate them on a wonderful season and wish them the best of luck in the offseason and 2004.

Bluefield has more speed. Poca has a pretty good passing game. They also run the ball well also. If Poca can shut down Bluefield's run, they win. If not, Bluefield wins. If I was betting money on this game ( you know I wouldn't do that )I would go with Bluefield........

wv_helmet.jpg

yea that pass always worries me. That's how they beat Blfd. last year. Matter of fact every game Bluefield has lost the last two years has come from the pass. Are you going to try to make any of the local playoff games the next two weeks?

Willie

What sort of passing game does Poca go with? I'm assuming they still hit Sotelo on the short TE hits, but other than that were most of their passes screens, etc or more deep patterns. Does Poca have the speed on the outside to contain Bluefield's sweep/toss plays or the size to plug the holes against Jose up the middle?

<font color="purple"> Congrats to the mavs on an exceptional season. As mentioned, not much was expected with the youth of the team and yet they did earn and enjoy a playoff game. And as always, theyplayed hard and represented monroe county well.

Congrats and good fortune to them. Go mavs! </font>

the way i understand it is that there is an agreement between the green wave and the mavs that they will play each other for 4 years (including this one). i do know, unless things have changed since a week ago, that the mavs will be hosting the wave next year. i think it is great that the cross state boundary rivalry has re-surfaced.