Bluefield title game

buzzsawBeaver

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was surprised that on Bluefield's last possesion of the 1st quarter that they didn't attempt a field goal on the 4th and 3 play where Martin threw an incomplete pass in the endzone. I know the conditions were sloppy, but with Stone's leg it surprised me they didn't give him the shot at the field goal. Bluefield had a good season, but I know to the players and fans of Bluefield it's a big disappointment. I wouldn't be surprised to see Bluefield back in Wheeling next year, but I would be surprised to see the dots there.

They had been good about going for 3 throughout the season and '02 as well. I would have attempted it myself, bluefield's fgk was exceptional, no reason to asssume something bad was going to happen because of the weather.

In some ways though it didn't matter, the real key of the game was in the 4th quarter with that turnover. They were up 7 mid 4th quarter, had the ball on their 30, and had a turnover, which itself wasn't the big problem, it was the fact that their player returned it to around the bluefield 5 and basically resulted in poca scoring to make it 14 - 14. As I wrote to someone else, poca has simply been the oh st buckeyes of wv high school football in recent seasons.

That said, I guess I should tone my critical post down, the players will feel bad enough. The coaches could read it for all I care, they have the real say so about the probelm in the long run, but this is about the youths.

But I do have no option but to honestly feel that if they couldn't earn the title with this team in this situation it could be a long while before they have such an opportunity again.

Yeah Poca is the Ohio State Buckeyes of West Virginia High School football, because they always seem to get the the lucky breaks. I mean last week in the game with MV they were up 7-0 at the half, and as luck would have it we had 3 of our best players injured and not be able to return for the 2nd half. I know they won 24-2, but I still have to think if the Vineyard brothers and Michael Helm had been able to play the 2nd half the game would've been close enough for either team to win. I know right now it seems like this may have been Bluefield's best shot at a title for a while, but I still think Bluefield will be good next year. I know Bluefield will be losing some really good football players, but Bluefield normally doesn't have alot of trouble replacing talent.

So many things you could say. I guess it was simply meant to be for the dots.

The thing about bluefield on '04 is the seniors graduating were very key players. In my opinion they should have a good, competitive playoff caliber team in '04, but I don't know about them being real contenders.

That said, while venting, this has been a hard season to reasonably voice constructive critism, afterall, when a team is successful, it's really hard to complain. Or for others to feel constructive cristism is warranted.

But I saw a number of things, some of them common to other seasons, that bluefield could have done to be even better on o.

As with every season, it's very frustrating watching bluefield continously never have the bootleg in the playbook. With their traps and so many plays to the outside, they are always in such a good positon for it to work and work easily. Although cobern isn't the fastest qb, he's still way out there by himself in the flats on the opposite side after most outside plays, but what's more marriotti is commonly about 10 yards downfield from cobern by himself for a potential easy play action score. How many times have I written this though?

The big thing about this team in my opinion was that there o was never close to being the best it could have been because aside from the graham game, marriotti, who in my opinion was the best athlete bluefield had, simply wasn't in bluefield's overall o scheme.

Bluefield had a lot of options on the ground and again who could complain with the results, but even so it looked early on in the season as if they were going to use the pass a lot, which really made their o tenfold better.

Point being, they had an exceptional o, and had a lot of success, but if you can do something better, never be satisfied with less, as in this case for example, you never know when 1 point, 1 drive, 1 1st down ect., makes the difference in a team earning a title or not..

this game was a heartbreaker, Beavs had it in the bag and let it slip away, im devastated so i can only imagine how the players are feeling, i feeel for them but this loss is squarely on the shoulders of the coaching staff...why is it that with the dominant team they cant pull it together for the BIG win??..ive seen POCA play 2 games this season and you will NEVER convince me that the Dots are a better team, they made the plays they needed to tonite but they were not the better team , the best team in the state lost tonite..Hats off to Poca for doing the unheard of and 3-peating, and if last yrs mud bowl in AAA and A and tonites sludge pit game and lord knows what tomorrows field is gonna be like but if these past 2 yrs arent argument enuff to bring the title games back to Charleston, on TURF and milder climate this team of year, then there isnt an argument for it..all in all it comes down to makign the plays and the Dots made em when they needed em but as a monday morning coach, i have serious questions and reservations bout the way tonites gameplan and play callign unfolded...it was pitiful, but thanks to the Beaver players for an exciting season, all of the Bluefield alumni everywhere is still proud of the Beavers

I'll likely have thoughts and words about this title game for some time. After watching the game on tv, I agree, I'll never be convinced this is a close game in good conditions.

I agree with the spectacle's opinions that poca was a team that knew how to come out on top in big games though, and that was the reason I wrote earlier in the week that they did have a chance. Considering that I think at best they would be no closer than 2 scores to bluefield in a game in good conditions. But I do credit them with having that attitude.

The field did away with bluefield's advantage in speed on d though, and seemed to be the cause of numerous fumbles, for each team, and bad hikes for bluefield, which eventually did bluefield in in overtime. Poca benefitted more from bluefield's big turnover by returning it almost to the goal line.

That said, it was equally bad for each team, but I'm more convinced after this game that playoffs and especially the title game should not be a circus or a juggling match.

It will be interesting to read if anyone from the graham gretna game has more of an opinion on these conditions after that game.

As I've written, I don't agree with turf either, teams play on grass for 12 or 13 games so they should have the title game on grass also. And turf would be equally as slick. As was the case in this game, it was the condition of the footballs themselves that resulted in most of the fumbles and bad hikes.

So what's the answer, although I'm certain it would never really be considered because of to much change for the entire state when only 6 or 12 schools benefit, a potential answer would be to start the season 2 weeks earlier. It's hard to blame playing playoffs and title games in snowy, inclimate weather on anyone but yourselves when the games are scheduled in dec., in the north not to mention.

Damn people! It's FOOTBALL! It's supposed to be played in the late fall/early winter, outdoors, on grass, in whatever weather the good Lord happens to decide is best for that day. Both teams have the same advantages and disadvantages. Saying "the best team lost" or "it would have been a different game had this or that happened" sounds a little like sour grapes. This coming from a G-Man fan who is looking forward to "wallering in the mud" with Gretna Saturday (or Sunday).

Incliment weather yes, circus like winter weather, no. Big difference in fall weather and this weather. If this weather is for football then play the seasons dec. through feb.

Write what you will about being poor sports, but the game should be determined by the teams on the field, not the weather and conditions.

Simple question, with all due respect to graham, would be do you like graham's chances against this gretna team more in the mud rather than good conditions where gretna would be at full speed?

Sure it's all football, but easier to not be concerned if it's not your team at a disadvantage.

I hear alot of Graham fans were hoping for this weather against Gretna, but I'm sure how much it help it will be. Maybe it slows Gretna's offense, but on the other hand it doesn't help Graham's offense either. Plus Gretna's defense has been dominating this year, and the field conditions aren't conducive to Bradshaw judging from other games I've seen him play when the conditions were bad. I expect Gretna to come out and throw the ball anyway, despite conditions. I'm concerned about Graham's pass defense. They have not faced anybody who can throw like Hall. I just don't know if Graham can cover that well.

Quote from Coach Carlock from BDT echos that:

"Unless we can slow Hall down a little and get some people on his receivers, we won't have much of a chance"

I know I sound negative, but I hope Graham can step up and get the job done.

I can't beleive some of you are just blaming this on the coaching staff.... Other than the numerous delay of game penalties and a few bad moves. But the fact is..Bluefield's coaches put them in position to win. In a field-battle possession type game...Simon had his team up 14-7 on Poca's side of the field with 9 minutes when Bluefield fumbled. Did Coach Simon fumble that ball?!? If Blufield executes the drive, then this is all a moot point. Yes the coaching staff has thier problems, but most do and you have to take the good with the bad sometimes. The pass-happy playcalling in OT was a bit erratic and scary considering we hadnt passed well all game, but indeed..it got the job done and a TD (thanks to a PI call) but once again it was the team who couldn't get the long snap down for the kick. I'm not saying that some of the blame doesnt belong to coaches but to put it all on the coaches is ludacris. The players themselves were in position to win and Simon told his team to hold on to the ball in the 4th and they would be champions and I believe if they do hold on to the ball, no one is questioning the coachs' ability.

One other thing to note.....I too wondered about kicking a field goal. Poca also got the ball within the 5 yard zone and went out on downs also despite having a decent kicker. I wonder if the conditions were worse than I could imagine for kicking or what?!? I don't think one shot at a FG would have hurt anything and even if you miss then you know for certain you wouldnt be able to kick and besides...it could have been an extra rep of snapping-putting the ball down-and kicking that may have led to not busting up that XP try.

theres some of everything as the reason. The weather in my opinion was the main culprit, and there's no way to explain it but poca just gets these close games exactly the way oh. st has in most of their close games in '02 and '03.

I agree the coaches didn't fumble the ball, but that said, my disagreements with the coaching were that they played not to be defeated through most of the game, not attempting the fg when you have such an exceptional fgk, and more than anything bluefield was punting on 4th and 2 in the 2nd quarter from "poca's" 40 yardline when poca had their best player #1 out of the game and you should be able to get 2 yards in a title game. Poca's coach was going for 4 and 5s from "their" 30 and 40 yardlines without hesitation. Yes it almost cost them at times, but they were obviously going all out, and who has the title?.

How could you blame Rusty Coeburn on the delays,he wasnt getting the play until the play clock was already down to nine to ten seconds,sure he could have looked up,but this kid is not used to playing with play clocks,bottom line the offencive cor.,or who ever were calling the plays were not getting the plays in fast enough,for Rusty to get the team out of the huddle and go though his whole snap count..

There is really nothing that Buzzsaw or GMENFOOTBALL posted that I can disagree with. The delay of games were indeed the coaches fault...that has always been a problem with Bluefield for years. I played for 4 years there and still don't understand how we get the delay of game penalties. Sometimes the coach gets it in late..sometimes the QB reads the signals wrong or can't read them at all...a new system is definitely needed or at least a coach who can get the signals in or a QB who can read them...

Your one of a kind then because a million times its been stated on this site that teams from Bluefield would have won if there wasn't snow or rain or mud. Both teams have to play in it so theres no excuses like you said. Also this wont change because football is played into the later months when the bad elements are always in the forecast. Football is a game and when the elements are involved it should be an even more fun game. Gretna vs. Graham will be a great one no matter what element. The loser will be done for the season no matter what is lying on the ground, no excuses. The best team will win.

I find it really disturbing that I return from Wheeling and everyone has decided to heave the blame on the coaches. Bluefield got the bad end of the draw this time, on that fumble in the 4th and even more so on the bad snap/mishandle on the PAT in OT. It just goes to show that the best team doesn't always win. I am as disappointed as anyone, but is it really necessary to find a scape goat? Instead of finding someone to blame, we should be be praising the hell out of these kids because they played their hearts out and the coaching staff deserves a pat on the back for coaching them there as well.

I'm really disappointed in some of you who are basically questioning Bluefield's ability to ever win a title again because of two losses? It's pure idiocracy. The fact that it's coming from "Bluefield fans" is even more disheartening.

The program is bigger than this and we shall overcome...

People who have been reading these message boards throughout this season would recall I also wrote about bluefield getting the play into the game and how cobern having to go over close to the sideline after every play wasn't wise. That was a key point of constructive critism I wrote about ater the graham game. That said the delay of game penalties, not being ready, ect., have been problems for bluefield for years, but I honestly thought that aside from this game, this team had overall done well with not making mistakes like so. Overall I thought bluefield played well this season as a team.

I agree the play clocks might have made this game different for the qb, but I didn't think these penalties made much a difference, just contributed.

jmarcum, I know what you're saying about each team having equal conditions, and that I agree with and acknowledged, but my main point was that it's a shame for each team, for any team, to have their game effected to such a degree by something out of their control. It's not that it's muddy or cold, or that football shouldn't be a rough game.

Case and point, in the aaa game on tv here, martinsburg scored on their 1st drive but had already had 2 fumbled hikes, 1 of them on their extra point which was no good as a result. So far 2 scores in the game, no extra points.

And point simply being if they could make it better, they should. Lot's of other states start their seasons earlier, not that wv ever would or will make any changes though.

That said, 3rd score of the wv aaa game, this time parkersburg south, still no extra points made, they can't do even simple tasks in that sloppy mess.

Martinsburg 12, parkersburg south 6, after 1 quarter.

im sorry for all the BLFD fans that think im bad mouthing the players, im not at all by any stretch of the word but i am however, upset with the coaching staff for many reasons, alot of them as stated on here already so no need to rehash em at this point, but instead of giving them a big pat on the back for getting there, how bout giving them a big pat on the back for them WINNING the big game??..right, they didnt win,they were flat out 'outcoached'..a lesser talented team won the title this year, ill never be convinced any differently and as for sour grapes??? you better beleive it..Blfd's tradition is winnign, not finishing second...i support our Beavers regardless if they are 2-8,0-10 or 14-0 so i feel like i can express my opinion and throw in a lil criticism when needed

Sources, you seem to be awfully happy with Blfd finishing a 'runner up', the bad snap wasnt part of being outcoached, that was a play that happens sometimes in football, the players tried their very best and i commend them but if you cant see mistakes the coaching staff made bumbling playcalls or wasting timeouts at the end of a qtr, then maybe you will always be satisfied with the honor of 'being there', i have my opinion and you have yours and as for your post on TSP bout the chips not falling OUR way "one time"?..try not falling our way for 4 outta the 5 times..the point is with superior talent, you shouldnt lose the big games consistently..unless you are being OUTCOACHED..example enough??

At some point, yes you do have to be happy with "runner up" There are many schools who would have died for the trip to Wheeling alone. For now it hurts us fans, especially since this seemed to be thier year, but it didn't work out and yes we are still hurting from this loss, but most of all the players are hurting.

I am just tired of these excuses...coaching, weather, etc....when these kids get home they should be told "good job" and not "what happened?" And they should be told that the ball didn't bounce thier way and not "it was the coaches fault!" We don't need excuses anymore and I am sure the players aren't using any at this moment, but if people keep planting these things in thier head then they are going to start pointing fingers and we don't need that. These young boys will be men one day and they need to learn not to make excuses for themselves, but if people keep making excuses for them..it may be a lost cause.

And the person who may be hurting the worst is Coach Simon....I know for a fact he worked his tail off preparing for this game and I don't believe he was outcoached this year, it was more of an example of different coaching styles..he had his team in postion to win..they execute and nobody is questioning him.

These coaches and players do indeed deserve a pat on the back..there is no reason for anyone to make them feel any worse. The game was there and Poca rose to the occasion and not Bluefield, NUFF SAID.