alot of complaints...then where should super 6 be

boy_blu

Alot of ppl are complaining about wheeling. The field conditions were terrible and it limited EVERY team that played. I am from bluefield and i feel that wheeling is just as good as it is going to get. The only thing that i dont like is the drive. I played there in 97 and 99 and the drive does make it seem like it is just not another game. But i do feel, after being a fan the past 2 years and driving up and back, that the drive is too long. And i think it is too long for most of the teams that year in and out hvae the shot of going up there. Wheeling does a great job, but i do think they could have done better this year. The field itself was not even covered at all the week before the game. It rained alot there thursday and snowed friday. If the field would have been covered right up to when the AA teams came out to warm up, the conditions may have been better.

I dont think that the game should be held at a venue that has turf. To the teams that get to play on turf any in the season, it is an unfair advantage if they make it to the state game. Turf is different to play on than grass and would benefit a team if they have played on it to one that hasnt. It puts alot more stress on teh ankles and knees of the players and feels like concrete to land on. And how would some of the teams get their turf shoes. Not every team id loaded with money to spend. And a week is not enough time to make the orders and have them sen to the schools. I think if it is moved to a turf field the wvssac should pay for the shoes. And regualr tennis shoes are not the same as turf, so teams could not just wear them.

As far as mountaineer field is concerned, i dont think it should be there. It seats 67,000 ppl and if u would look up in the stands at a highschool game it would look like about 10 ppl there. I like the small up close and personal feel for a game. I guess that could go for huntington as well, eventhough it holds only 30 some thousand.

The only other highschool field i have personally seen that would due would be mitchell stadium in bluefield. The one thing htat wheeling has on mitchell is the locker rooms. In wheeling they look like pro style rooms and are set up real nice. At mitchell they dont even have lockers and are really small. I think if a AAA team would bring down everyone, which they would, they may not even be able to fit, not comfortably at least.

If wheeling wins the bid again, they should just do a better job of covering the field. And another thing, another state should not benefit from the WV STATE CHAMPIONSHIP.

Guest MagicMan

Is there a venue in WV that has any of the "new" turf products? I've walked on AstroPlay, and though it seems a little slicker than grass with regular shoes on, seems to play like really good grass. After Ole Miss played at the Independance Bowl last year, the players and coaches asked about it, and we had it installed over the summer.

I agree about the locker rooms at mitchell stadium, could be bigger, and would have to be for a big aaa team. That said, if they ever were going to change the dressing rooms at mitchell stadium they could be extended backwards.

They would also have to level the field. I don't know if anyone else has noticed this with concern, but there's a considerable dip in the field in the southeast side around the 10 - 15 yardline, and a few other places. Not certain what event they had their in recent years that's caused that, but it doesn't matter, those places are there. But I've actually seen fields that "appeared" to be more level at much smaller aa stadiums bluefield played at this season. Liberty raleigh for 1.