VHS Basketball

VHSFan999

Well so far things arent going to well for the VHS Basketball team. They started out 2-0 after barely beating Battle and Sullivan North. But the past 4 games have been blowouts and people are just handling them. So far the new coach has made no difference. They still run the same offense that Coach Lee ran for years. They sit at the top of the 3 pt line and pass the ball around until someone is able to get a shot off. Also new coach, Doug Mitchell, doesnt allow his players to drive to the basket just like Coach Lee didnt. You cant win if all you do is pass the ball around and waste the clock. The other night vs THS, they were down by over 20 points and they were still running time off the clock. It just doesnt make any sense to me.

Virginia High has had probably the worst football and basketball programs of any AA school in SWVA. Both sports programs have only had 1 or 2 good seasons in the past 10 years and I dont get why. Do you all think that each year that our talent is just that much worse than everyone elses or is it poor coaching?

Having went to school there for only one year and a fan for a few years, I still have sort of a outsiders point of view of VA High athletics. And it strikes me that they seem to have the same attitude as Grayson Co. Basically, as long as baseball does well then it's a good year. Anything else is just extra gravy for the taters so to speak. I know they have the talent year in and year out. The football team is finally starting to show some of that. The whole attitude of the community and majority of the fan base still holds everything back from progressing. I've got a firm believe that Coach Adams is turning things around in football slowly but surely. Football is just not something you can turn around for good in a year or two anyways. But I think the problems for the down sports all have different reasons. Basketball, yes I'll go with coaching, only because of the system. A fast paced, up and down the court style would suit them a whole lot better I think because of their continual lack of size. Now, with track, simply the facilities. It's a health hazard to runners to run on their own track.

I think in the first two ballgames that they played as a team and that is why they won. After that, they have been playing selfish and wanting the headlines for themselves. They had a kid, the McClanahan boy, that made the all tournament team for the Pepsi tournament, and he has been getting alot of write ups in the paper. He does not care how many points he scores as long as they win. But several kids on they team have stated that they will not throw him the ball anymore and they have been throwing up junk just so that they can get their points and get there names in the paper. Consequently, they have lost and unfortunately they do not care. The McClanahan boy was averaging 14 points per game, 6 assists, 6 rebounds, and did not even start until the coach finally woke up after the 4th game. Now tell me, someone that is helping your team that much, do you exclude him from your offense or create opportunities for him? Coach Mitchell needs to wake up or he will not be there long. Several players are already disgusted and ready to quit. Players at Virginia High do not want to win. All they care about is self gratitude. Just look at the football team. Enough said.