how come richlands is afraid of salem?

zack

Why is the penalty for knowingly using something illegal only 15?

Wouldnt' that qualify as trying to gain an unfair advantage on something not relating to the actual playing of the game?

And if the cleats were to be discover prior to or during the game, would the team committing the infraction be forced to change cleats to those that conform?

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[ QUOTE ]

Why is the penalty for knowingly using something illegal only 15?

Wouldnt' that qualify as trying to gain an unfair advantage on something not relating to the actual playing of the game?

And if the cleats were to be discover prior to or during the game, would the team committing the infraction be forced to change cleats to those that conform?

[/ QUOTE ]

I do not know. I read that post on page 5 of this thread (for me) as well. A citation seems a prerequisite when making such a statement, I'll agree with that.

All I know is what is already common knowledge -- (we wore them against the Spartans and did not against the Hornets). You might want to specify the question in PM to certain individuals if you don't get a response here. Some people are more "capable" of responding via personal message than others. Either way, I'd like to hear how it plays out. You know, either way you break it down ... Richlands was the better team.

[ QUOTE ]

put this to rest

[/ QUOTE ]

It'll never be put to rest. Damn I wish it would. I think the best that can be done is put the facts straight as best we can.

Edit: I think the wish on our part to put this to bed, so to speak, is what many feed on. I think we need to lay all we know out there, relate it to the haters, and then ask everyone to forgive us.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

put this to rest

[/ QUOTE ]

It'll never be put to rest. Damn I wish it would. I think the best that can be done is put the facts straight as best we can.

Edit: I think the wish on our part to put this to bed, so to speak, is what many feed on. I think we need to lay all we know out there, relate it to the haters, and then ask everyone to forgive us.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not hating on Richlands, nor have I ever. They are a solid football program.

I am just trying to learn the truth about what happened and what penalties may have occured.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

put this to rest

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not hating on Richlands, nor have I ever. They are a solid football program.

I am just trying to learn the truth about what happened and what penalties may have occured.

[/ QUOTE ]

They could not strip them of there tittle, but they were bared from the playoffs the following year. This will never be put to rest no matter how many more state tittles they win from this year on!!! Its something the fans and players will have to deal with because of the stupid choices of a few people. (coaches)

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

put this to rest

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

They could not strip them of there tittle, but they were bared from the playoffs the following year. This will never be put to rest no matter how many more state tittles they win from this year on!!! Its something the fans and players will have to deal with because of the stupid choices of a few people. (coaches)

[/ QUOTE ]

I do not think that players should be burdened with it. I think players, such as the ones that were CHAMPIONS this year, write their own history.

This issue should be isolated, so to speak. It bears nothing on this year's players, for example.

Edit: And in response to your statement, the town, the school, and the team did serve a punishment for the transgression. I hope we are a people who forgive (even if we do not forget).

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

However, the one win for Richlands was a little tainted. LOL

[/ QUOTE ]

Only by those who continue to beat a horse that has now been dead for 14 years...

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, I didnt beat the dead horse....YOu bought it up about the series being tied 1-1,and I merely stated the obvious fact. Dont be so touchy...I hate Salem too and if richlands played them 100 times I would pull for richlands in all 100 of them!

[/ QUOTE ]

Not being touchy. Just sick of hearing about something that happened 14 years ago.

[/ QUOTE ]

SO I guess your tired of hearing about RHS beating Salem in 92 and going on to win their first state championship?

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

put this to rest

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Richlands did change cleats at halftime. I'm not sure if the officials told them to or if the coaches made the decision themselves. Salem apparently made a similar decision when they chose not to wear the same cleats. They had them in the locker room though from what I understand.

I wasn't there. I was living in Richmond and all I got were the scores in the Saturday morning paper. I didn't hear about this issue until I moved back in 1998.

It's kept alive by the media and by opposing fans on message boards who think they're being cute when they bring it up.

nobody will know whether richlands would have won without the cheating. but here are the circumstances.

NUMBER 1- everybody recognizes that vaught was good coach and he was excellent at game plans.

NUMBER 2- he took the time to drive to roanoke to get the cleats specifically for the playoffs - they were bought from cmt in roanoke.

number 3 - richlands won 17-7 with illegal cleats used.

[ QUOTE ]

SO I guess your tired of hearing about RHS beating Salem in 92 and going on to win their first state championship?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes I am. This is 2006 and our boys just gave us an asterisk free State Championship. That's what we should be talking about.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

put this to rest

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Richlands did change cleats at halftime. I'm not sure if the officials told them to or if the coaches made the decision themselves. Salem apparently made a similar decision when they chose not to wear the same cleats. They had them in the locker room though from what I understand.

I wasn't there. I was living in Richmond and all I got were the scores in the Saturday morning paper. I didn't hear about this issue until I moved back in 1998.

It's kept alive by the media and by opposing fans on message boards who think they're being cute when they bring it up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Big D This is all from memory 14-15 years go but the way I recall it is that Vaught used to coach in the Roanoke Valley and knew all the coaches in the area and someone told him that Salem had ordered the 5/8" cleats from CMT and he went up there and bought them from underneath them because he had a friend @ CMT then his friend rolled on him to Salem. That is the way I heard it. I was @ the game that day it had rained and snowed for a solid 2 weeks the Earnie looked like a sewer leaking into a yard (all black no grass it was a mess) I they both wore 1 1/2" cleats it still would not have helped. As far a the field being watered down I highly doub that fact seeing as it rained all week. The field was covered but there is so much runoff from surraounding areas that it just puddled up @ the Ernie. I also know for a fact that a heliocopter hovered over that field for 2-2 1/2 hours before they played to try and dry it up. So all I have to say is We have 2 State championship teams Everyone Hold your head High Because I witnessed possibly 2 of the greatest Football moments in Richlands history 12-92 and 12-06. WAY TO GO BIG BLUE!!!!!!

[ QUOTE ]

they keep talking about us like their afraid? is it because deep down they know what would happen!

[/ QUOTE ]

Not afraid we are in different divisions plain and simple. Oh and by the way we went to STATE and WON!!

Just reading this post, I wonder is any football team really "afraid" of another? I can't imagine that any team would be "afraid" to play Richlands, nor would Richlands be "afriad" to play anyone. I know there will always be talk about Salem-Richlands but the "afraid" thing just sounds funny haha.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes I am. This is 2006 and our boys just gave us an asterisk free State Championship. That's what we should be talking about.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well then why did you bring up the fact that RHS is 1-1 against Salem, if you didnt want to hear about cleatgate?

[ QUOTE ]

Here's some more legit wins....Tazewell holds the all-time series advantage over RHS. Think about that for a while.

[/ QUOTE ]

Completely out of curiosity, what is the all-time series record?

I know that Blues of my vintage didn't contribute much to it. My class was part of a 6 year drought against the Doggies.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Here's some more legit wins....Tazewell holds the all-time series advantage over RHS. Think about that for a while.

[/ QUOTE ]

Completely out of curiosity, what is the all-time series record?

I know that Blues of my vintage didn't contribute much to it. My class was part of a 6 year drought against the Doggies.

[/ QUOTE ]

Where is Dave Cox when you need him!!! He would have all that info I am sure. I will email him, not I am interested.

[ QUOTE ]

The "use of posting" is to talk about football. Not to constantly trash other teams and fans.

[/ QUOTE ]did i just read that from a richlands fan?? all you richlands fans do is point fingers and laugh just because every team didnt go to state.. you all talked trash about abingdon so much! so now some people talk about richlands and u get offended! well welcome to the club now you kno how it feels! heres one for u that u richlands fans burned out this season "want some cheese with that whine?"