All State AP poll

Cola

All-Group AA List

Associated Press Dec 19, 2006

RICHMOND, Va. - The 2006 All-Group AA scholastic football team of The Associated Press as selected by a panel of sports writers from around the state:

FIRST TEAM

Offense

Wide receivers _ Austin Fuller, Richlands, 6-3, 200, junior; Jeff Early, Rockbridge County, 6-2, 180, junior

Tight End _ Javon Lockett, Prince Edward County, 6-5, 230, senior

Tackles _ Davell Smith, Louisa, 5-11, 264, senior; Ben Ballard, Lord Botetourt, 6-3, 295, senior

Guards _ Joey Christine, Sherando, 6-2, 295, junior; Daniel Turk, Salem, 5-11, 250, senior

Center _ Pat Lilly, Courtland, 5-11, 274, senior

Quarterback _ Justin McCracken, Richlands, 6-4, 210, senior

Running backs _ Alonzo Poe, Amherst, 5-8, 170, senior; Todd Shelton, Louisa, 5-10, 205, senior; Phillip Thaxton, Grafton, 5-10, 175, senior

Placekicker _ Caleb Violette, Blacksburg, 6-0, 184, junior

Kick returner _ Jamel Jackson, Charlottesville, 6-1, 160, junior

Utility _ Eric Church, Louisa, 6-2, 225, senior

Defense

Line _ Blake Campbell, Powhatan, 5-10, 209, senior; Thomas Mulabah, Park View-Sterling, 6-3, 280, junior; Carl McIntyre, Turner-Ashby, 6-2, 285, senior; Roane Babington, Robert E. Lee-Staunton, 6-3, 255, senior

Linebackers _ Adam Sheets, Courtland, 5-10, 182, senior; Patrick Bannon, Rockbridge County, 6-5, 248, senior; Brett Clayburne, Richlands, 6-2, 196, senior; Nick Spradlin, Salem, 5-11, 168, senior

Backs _ Derek Dudinski, Park View-Sterling, 5-9, 185, senior; Brandan Moyler, Lafayette, 5-10, 180, senior; D.J. Simmons, Richlands, 6-0, 180, senior; Jonathan Williams, Magna Vista, 6-3, 185, senior

Punter _ Brooks Crawford, Smithfield, 6-1, 185, senior

SECOND TEAM

Offense

Wide receivers _ Raymond Grenke, Powhatan, 6-2, 170, senior; Derrick McCoy, Amherst, 6-3, 205, junior

Tight End _ Daniel Bryant, Jefferson Forest, 6-5, 230, senior

Tackles _ Nathan Mullins, Powhatan, 6-7, 300, junior; Stephen Jackson, Amherst, 6-3, 265, senior

Guards _ Allen Burkett, Broadway, 5-10, 255, senior; Iain Cobb, Christiansburg, 6-0, 215

Center _ Andrew McCulloch, Harrisonburg, 5-11, 233, senior

Quarterback _ J.J. Dorsey, Handley, 6-0, 180, junior

Running backs _ Caleb Jennings, Richlands, 5-8, 165, senior; Tayron Hampton, Powhatan, 5-9, 185, junior; Takeem Hedgman, Monticello, 5-10, 185, senior

Placekicker _ Tyler Weiss, Courtland, 5-9, 151, senior

Kick returner _ Josiah Goins, Hidden Valley, 5-10, 165, senior

Utility _ Marcus Mayo, Rockbridge County, 6-0, 195, senior

Defense

Line _ Devaughn Parson, Liberty-Bealton, 6-2, 255, senior; Marcel Gallon, Courtland, 6-3, 221, senior; Ryan Jackson, Brookeville, junior; Xavier Callaway, William Fleming, 6-0, 190, senior

Linebackers _ Stephen Meadows, James Monroe, 6-3, 215, junior; James Wallace, Lafayette, 5-8, 180, senior; Demetreus Long, Greensville County, 6-2, 190, senior; Jake Wade, Rustburg, senior

Backs _ Dyrell Roberts, Smithfield, 6-2, 190, junior; Terrell Wells, Louisa, 5-11, 177, senior; Terrell Corley, Handley, 5-10, 170, senior; Peter Rose, Amherst, 6-1, 185, junior

Punter _ Andy Smith, Liberty-Bealton, 6-2, 185, senior

PLAYER OF THE YEAR

Alonzo Poe, Amherst

COACH OF THE YEAR

Mark Fischer, Louisa

[ QUOTE ]

Congrats to Justin, Austin, Brett and D.J. on first team and Caleb on 2nd team All State.

You guys deserve it

[/ QUOTE ]

congratulations to all 5......did they not have any honorable mentions???

It surprised me too McKnight isnt on this either but it isnt the one that counts...he may be on the Coaches State team and thats the one that gets u to Hampton and means anything anyways.Pruett too but he has a year to get there.

[ QUOTE ]

.he may be on the Coaches State team and thats the one that gets u to Hampton and means anything anyways

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't know that either all state team is preferable to the other...they both have some bias.....i think the AP may lean more toward individuals on higher profile teams and the eastern va. areas......and the coaches team, well, all you have to do is look at the all region 4 team and see it stocked with va. high players to realize its very political....with all that being said, its a great honor to make either team, as you have to be an exceptional player to make either team.......

[ QUOTE ]

thats bull that brett clayburne got 1st team lb and jarod riddle didnt when riddle had more tackles in 3 less games

[/ QUOTE ]

Riddle was way better and he also wasnt afraid of contact but in the end, clayburn's team went deeper into the playoffs.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

thats bull that brett clayburne got 1st team lb and jarod riddle didnt when riddle had more tackles in 3 less games

[/ QUOTE ]

Riddle was way better and he also wasnt afraid of contact but in the end, clayburn's team went deeper into the playoffs.

[/ QUOTE ]

And CLayburne WAS afraid of contact?????

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

clayburne played only 2 quarters a game 9 out of the 10 regular season games played this year.....last year i think he had over 160 tackles......

i can't help myself........i have more to say.....i am sure that riddle is a great linebacker and my post is not in any way meant to demean his performance.........BUT.......clayburne's numbers are a little down for a number of reasons......first, he had more defensive talent around him...for instance, zach pruett getting 10 tackles in a game from a defensive tackle position.....the defensive line for richlands did more than occupy blockers, they made tackles.....2nd, clayburne and all the other richlands starters rarely played deep into the 3rd quarter this year........if they had played 4 quarters, mccrackin would have thrown for 4,000 yards, caleb jennings would have rushed for close to 2,500 yards, austin fuller would have close to 1,800 yards receiving, clayburne would have close to 180 tackles, and dj simmons would have near 13 or 14 interceptions.....everyone in richlands knows the starters did not get a whole lot of playing time because most games were well out reach by halftime........

as for clayburne being afraid of contact........i do not have a clue what you are talking about.....if you are talking about engaging blockers, his job was to avoid them....in regard to him taking on anyone carrying the ball, he killed them.....thats a fact.....i have heard numerous people fron richlands say he is the best linebacker that richlands has ever had......and thats a strong statement considering richlands has had all state linebackers like chris harrison and jeremy mccommons.....

obviously riddle is a great linebacker but the tazewell defense was nowhere near the quality of richlands.....they gave up 27 points to lebanon........41 points to graham......61 points to richlands......you t-well fans are barking up the wrong tree...