Ancestory??

WaveFan09

Go to www.rootsweb.com or www.ancestry.com (pay site but some stuff is free) and type in the name of your oldest known Votley ancestor, such as your grandfather or great grandfather. Chances are one of your distant cousins has already researched the line (or at least part of it) and posted it to one the the websites mentioned above. The further back you can go for a starting point the better chance you will have.

Warning... genealogy information submitted to the web is notoriously unreliable. People are impatient and lazy so when something doesn't quite fit... they try to make it fit. The best place to research your ancestry is at the courthouse. Start with your grandparents marriage records. It will tell you where they were born and who their parents were... which will lead you to your great grandparents, then 2nd great and so on. That will take you out of Buchanan County to wherever your ancestors came from but the Library in Grundy should be able to order microfilm through inter-library loan.

Celebrities, especially from a family like hers, are usually well researched and documented. It wouldn't be hard to find out if you are related to her.

Myself, I'm a direct descendant of Sarah Boone. She was my 6th great grandmother and the oldest sister of Col. Daniel Boone.

[ QUOTE ]

I think BigD is correct on the reliability of that on the net. Every name you put in there show the majority of the families from NY.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have to remember that America was confined to the North East and Mid Atlantic in those days. Pretty much everyone in the present United States can trace their roots to someplace between Massachusetts and South Carolina depending on when their ancestors immigrated. New York's Ellis Island was the point of entry for the largest immigration in American history. My ancestors were all here before Ellis Island so my roots lead to Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, Virginia and North Carolina.

Takes a lot of research to find out your ancestory, espcially hard since records back in the day weren't that accurate.

Mine is really not that hard, Thomas Witten is my 7-great grandfather and he built Fort Witten at Crap Orchard.

He was the first permanent white settler in what is now Tazewell County. Records from that period are scarce mostly because we were part of Fincastle County {which no longer exists) but also because we were once part of Montgomery, Russell, Washington and Augusta counties. Record keeping also wasn't very thorough or consistent prior to the early/mid 19th century. I can say that you can easily trace your Tazewell roots as far back as 1800 when the county was formed. Unlike most counties Tazewell has never lost a record.

Recordkeeping was always a challenge. A lot of our eastern counties saw records destroyed in the Civil War. Also lots of counties throughout the country had courthouse fires over the years that destroyed lots of useful data.

That's very true. Buchanan County has lost records to flooding. Russell's entire marriage register #1 is missing. I'm not sure if it was lost to fire or something else. Record keeping started to get better (at least for marriages) in the mid/late 1800's but reporting of births and deaths wasn't required in Virginia until 1910.

[ QUOTE ]

Takes a lot of research to find out your ancestory, espcially hard since records back in the day weren't that accurate.

Mine is really not that hard, Thomas Witten is my 7-great grandfather and he built Fort Witten at Crap Orchard.

[/ QUOTE ]

HOLY CRAP DUDE! We are distant relatives!!! My aunt has our family tree researched back several hundred years...Thomas Witten is right there in the thick of it...I'm not exactly sure what relation I am to him but definitely related and there are lots of stories of "Granny Witten" (my mother's, aunts', and uncles' grandmother) in my family (she was a direct decendant of Thomas).

Haha, that's pretty hardcore.

My Dad's entire side of the family is all Witten's.

I know the family tree is mapped out somewhere, my Great-aunt Mildred Witten is hardcore devoted to the Tazewell County Historical Society.

I will see if I can find it.

Here are some of the earliest settlers. Most of us can trace our roots to at least a few of them.

Early County Settlements and Settlers

1769 -1773

Abb's Valley

Iaaac BLANGY Absalom LOONEY Capt. James MOORE, Robert POAGUE

Baptist Valley

John DESKINS, Thomas MARTIN, Richard PEMBERTON, Charles and James SCAGGS

Bluestone

Samuel FERGUSON, John HARMAN, Benjamin JOSLIN, Thomas MAXWELL, James OGLETON

Burke's Garden

Thomas INGLES

Clear Fork of Wolf Creek

John RIDGEL

The Cove

John CRAVEN, David WARD

Crab Apple Orchard

Samuel CECIL, John GREENUP, Thonas WITTEN

Deskins Valley

Richard ONEY, Obadiah PAYNE

Head of the Clinch River

Henry, Mathias and Jacob HARMAN

Jeffersonville Area (Tazewell)

John BRADSHAW, Elisha CARY, Benjamin, Chrisley and Thomas HOUSLEY, John, Thomas and William PEERY

Locust Hill

William WYNN

Morris Knob

William GARRISON

North Fork of the Clinch

William BUTLER, Jesse EVANS, John TAYLOR

Thompson Valley

John HENRY, James KING, Samuel MARRS, Joseph MARTIN, John and Archibald THOMPSON

The best thing to do is start with yourself, then your parents, then grandparents, go as far as you already know then start asking your parents and grandparents what they know. After you have all of that you can go to the courthouse of the county/counties where those people were married and search for the records. It will tell you where they were born and who their parents were. That will lead you to two more marriage records.

I'm not familiar with Mercer but McDowell has a good archives room. Those counties have only been around since 1860 though and you will probably end up doing some research in Tazewell.

The library is good for published resources (that won't help you much until you get really far back) as well as census transcriptions, obituaries, cemetery indexes, newspapers etc. They can get microfilm of records from other counties through inter-library loan. The Craft Memorial Library in Bluefield has the Daily Telegraph on microfilm back to the late 1800's. Tazewell has the Clinch Valley News.

You can also search the name of your oldest known ancestor at rootsweb.com. If anyone has researched him/her it will open the floodgates. Just be cautious because like I said, it's not all reliable. It's a good starting point though.

Wouldn't be hard at all. My most common line is Mitchell, and there were at least 3 separate lines of them in the area, but I have them documented 6 generations back. All you have to do is what I said above with the marriage records. You can fill in the blanks with birth, death, census, probate etc. records but the marriage certificates are the way to trace your direct lineage. At least until they dry up around 1800.