Just wondering......

MavsRock

It's that boring time of year when you really have to think to stur up conversation. I was just wondering what other HS team around here ran the single wing offense besides James Monroe and Giles. Oh yeah, if anyone knows when any schedules are going to be out, please let me know.

I know Craig County runs a very similar set of the single wing to James Monroe. But to be honest, I don't really consider the Craig and JM version the single wing. If it is, it is a VERY stripped down set. No where near as smooth or deadly as Giles' set or Narrows' set back in the 60's, which is pretty much the exact same thing.

Giles runs a set of the single wing that basically is perfectly planned choas. Steve runs Harry's old plays to this day and they still work like a charm, with deception being the name of the game. A lot of cross-bucks in there and vertually every passing play comes out looking like a trick play. Very few plays are direct snaps and straight point of attack runs. But with this deception, if you don't have a smart MLB and a strong d-line able to hold their own, you can out talent them all you want and you're still gonna give up yards from not knowing exactly what your reads are. JM and Craig Co. though, the oppisite end of the spectrum. Direct snap back to TB, and usually follow the pulling guard. Throw in a hand off to the FB and playaction to the FB to keep the defense on their toes. If there's fakes, with JM especially, it was usually a bootleg right. I feel like I just described WVU's offense. And basically, that's what JM appears to run. A shotgun - 1 back set with a Blocking Back rather than a split reciever. Very simplistic compared to the Giles way, but it still works when you have the hogs up front to block and the boys in the backfield to hit the holes. Usually though, when you're outmanned as far as talent, this simple style will get you in trouble. EX: JM and Bluefield.

Another point completely different: I found out Giles has added Grundy to their schedule. They dropped Twin Valley to pick them up. And from what I can tell, Grundy will come to Pearisburg first unless someother team on Giles' schedule agreed to come to Pearisburg for the second year in a row. That should be very interesting to see. Hopefully, Narrows will have a off-week that week and I can go check that out.

lance it is false. grundy picked up aaa sheldon clark. they will play in a bowl game at east ridge the first game of the season. the giles story is false. i think tv tried to do grundy's schedule for them, so they would not have to play both grundy and giles.

sweet! Any idea when the schedules will be made public?

I think it's a wise move picking up the AAA teams..even if you drop one along the way it will make the team stronger playing better teams...that TV game has becaome a joke, maybe in a perfect world when they get the program back together it might be worth watching someday...but with this points stuff now, gotta play up.

Sorry guys, but Sheldon Clark is AA, even in KY.

Sheldon Clark from the KHSAA website.

Even if they will be moved up to AAA in KY, with their enrollment they will still be considered Class AA, Division 3 for the VHSL rating system.

Scroll down to page 17 of 26...you will see Sheldon Clark, KY 3...Class AA, Division 3

But at least its better than playing a Class A school.

yes they have been a pretty good team the last decade. grundy played them four or five years ago. 12-6 at half. 32-12 final sheldon clark. they are graham like of old, double tight wishbone and power football. also a very strong wrestling program.

It could be that with this being the first year, Witt didn't want to throw in the highly complex plays until later on, like maybe 2004. I hate to say it, but the Bluefield game was a good example. They were a much better team, but the injury to Robertson played a big role in it being 49-8, just like it played a role in the Princeton and Poca games as well.

Oh yeah, when you say that Giles runs alot of crossbucks, am I right in assuming that an end comes around on every play, either as a runner or a decoy?

I played outside linebacker against Giles, they moved me up on the defensive line for this game just off of our defensive end. They thought this would be a good idea, I remember the coaches brought up Coach Mance to tell us about Giles since he went there. NO HELP !!! To watch their offense from the line of scrimmage standing up instead of down on the line !!!!! CONFUSING....I didn't know where they were going with the ball.

If you have good LB's it's best just to key them up and hit every play....kinda like a zone blitz sort of thing...basically you only have 4 positions that will handle the ball most of the time. I hate single wing based o's for that reason alone.

Giles always has good position players...so with them being single A and Single Wing...nothing good could come out of Grundy playing them...best to leave that one alone if you are a AA team.

Just my .02...so hate me...lol.