Baseball questions

jmarcum

I was wondering who the state champions in AA baseball were in the last few years and all state players etc. I am not familiar with them and my brother is playing now I so I wanna know who the good teams and players are. I am hearing richlands, who else?

Thanks.

Along with Richlands...Tazewell, Virginia High, and Abingdon are always good on this end of the state...Patrick Co. is usually pretty good out of the Piedmont. V-High has won 5 AA titles since 1981 and have finished 2nd three more times in that same period...they are probably the closest thing to a perennial power in baseball.

Here are the results over the last 20+ seasons in the AA Championship game:

2003 - Amherst Co. 6 Stuarts Draft 0

2002 - Turner Ashby 11 John Handley 8

2001 - Poquoson 3 Heritage-Lynch. 1

2000 - Courtland 7 William Byrd 5

1999 - John Handley 5 Rustburg 1

1998 - Dan River 5 Virginia 4

1997 - William Byrd 4 Tabb 1

1996 - Virginia 7 Nansemond River 2

1995 - Courtland 3 Brookville 0

1994 - Tunstall 3 Tabb 2

1993 - Virginia 1 Turner Ashby 0

1992 - Virginia 4 Harrisonburg 3

1991 - Broad Run 5 Rustburg 0

1990 - Louisa Co. 4 Broad Run 1

1989 - York 4 Jefferson Forest 1

1988 - Jefferson Forest 5 York 0

1987 - Brookville 10 York 0

1986 - Waynesboro 2 Virginia 0

1985 - Midlothian 10 Virginia 7

1984 - Park View-Sterling 6 Abingdon 4

1983 - Virginia 1 Mills Goodwin 0

1982 - Fort Defiance 7 Nelson Co. 2

1981 - Virginia 4 Colonial Heights 0

I played for Graham '82-'85...back when the SWD had 11 teams...the SWD had a team playing for the State Championship 3 of those 4 years...no wonder we always got our butts kicked! LOL

Yea those 4 teams and John Battle in single A are always great. Virginia High has been pretty dominant in SWVA the past few years. They were one of the favorites to win state each of the past 3 years but choked once the playoffs rolled around. The 2002 team should have won state and might have won if two of the team's better players wouldnt have gotten arrested. I think this is the last year that VHS has a chance to win state for awhile. They just dont have very good pitchers among their freshmen, sophomores and juniors.

This years VHS team will be lead by senior left handed pitcher Andrew Hicks. Hicks has been amazing the past two years only losing 2 games and having 3 or 4 no hitters. He has a huge curveball and throws a fastball in the high 80s and low 90s.