Lets discuss a college playoff system........

Guest JJBrickface

Guest JJBrickface

Who is for and who is against? Please state the pros if you are for and the cons if you are against.

I think a 4 team system would be a waste of time and would render the bowl games a meaningless consolation prize. The BCS is already broken. The top-4 teams in in the BCS formula aren't necessarily the best 4 teams. If they're going to do it, do it with at least 16, preferably 32, and throw out the polls and the computers. Use conference champions and wild cards.

Guest JJBrickface

[ QUOTE ]

I think a 4 team system would be a waste of time and would render the bowl games a meaningless consolation prize. The BCS is already broken. The top-4 teams in in the BCS formula aren't necessarily the best 4 teams. If they're going to do it, do it with at least 16, preferably 32, and throw out the polls and the computers. Use conference champions and wild cards.

[/ QUOTE ]

Personally I am against a playoff but if they did do it then I agree that they would have to use each conference champion and some at large teams.

One reason I am against it is because a football season doesn't need to be carried on that long. Usually by the 11th and 12th game that they have now a lot of these kids get beat up pretty good. I don't think it would be good on their bodies to extend the season that much longer. Its also a drain mentally.

[ QUOTE ]

What's the main reason that the system is not already into a playoff? Money?

[/ QUOTE ]

ding ding ding we got a winner!!! we need to boycott the bowls next year and they will consider a playoff system!!!

1.) ACC Champion

2.) SEC Champion

3.) Big 10 Champion

4.) Big East Champion

5.) Big 12 Champion

6.) PAC 10 Champion

7.) At large team determided by current BCS formula (LSU)

8.) At large team determided by AP voting body. (Boise State)

Notre Dame gets NO SPECIAL TREATMENT!!! No nine win excemptions, no side deals of any type!!!

Conference Chamionship games 12-01-07

First ROund 12-08-07

Second Round 12-15-07

Consolation and Championship games Tuesday 12-25-07 at 2:00 and 6:00 P.M.

If you want to have a bowl season for non championship field participants, that's fine by me.

I want more exciting football, not a lot fluff and no substance.

[ QUOTE ]

I like that idea alot!, but the issue is, were will these games be played and will they (fans)travel this many times ? in other words will the colleges, TV stations - sponsers be getting paid $$$ ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Predetermined neutral sites, decided by the NCAA. The seeding done by the BCS formula 1v8, 2v7, 3v6, 4v5. I don't give a damn if Fed Ex, Nokia or any other "sponser" gets one red dime. Make it sponsered by the NCAA like the men's/women's basketball tournaments and let the winning bid network charge outrageous advertising rates.

So there is the chance that two teams form one of these Conferences could plat each other in the title 1.) ACC Champion

2.) SEC Champion

3.) Big 10 Champion

4.) Big East Champion

5.) Big 12 Champion

6.) PAC 10 Champion

Thats interesting, and fair. .. But the "small" conferences i.e. WAC would have to go undefeated to be seen

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

I like that idea alot!, but the issue is, were will these games be played and will they (fans)travel this many times ? in other words will the colleges, TV stations - sponsers be getting paid $$$ ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Predetermined neutral sites, decided by the NCAA. The seeding done by the BCS formula 1v8, 2v7, 3v6, 4v5. I don't give a damn if Fed Ex, Nokia or any other "sponser" gets one red dime. Make it sponsered by the NCAA like the men's/women's basketball tournaments and let the winning bid network charge outrageous advertising rates.

[/ QUOTE ]

At one time I thought it would be a good idea to let the current bowls host the playoffs, that way they would still make their money, but now I'm not sure the fans would be able to travel to so many neutral site playoff games. So now I think it would be better to have the highest seeded teams serve as hosts until the championship game.

[ QUOTE ]

So there is the chance that two teams form one of these Conferences could plat each other in the title 1.) ACC Champion

2.) SEC Champion

3.) Big 10 Champion

4.) Big East Champion

5.) Big 12 Champion

6.) PAC 10 Champion

Thats interesting, and fair. .. But the "small" conferences i.e. WAC would have to go undefeated to be seen

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with BLU on this one. All D-1 conferences should be included. If they don't measure up they will be eliminated early and it won't be a problem.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

2.) SEC Champion

3.) Big 10 Champion

4.) Big East Champion

5.) Big 12 Champion

6.) PAC 10 Champion

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with BLU on this one. All D-1 conferences should be included. If they don't measure up they will be eliminated early and it won't be a problem.

[/ QUOTE ]

The last thing we need is one more game for USC to "warm up" on the Sun Belt champion in the first round. Take 8 teams and go.

I would take 8 teams over what we have now but I still think you need at least 16 to really determine a clear champion. My preference is 32 which will give you a 4 week playoff and leave no doubt.

that I agree. although Boise St. did shake things up a bit, as far as sunbelt, WAC etc can compete every once in a while. I would hate to see for ex. flordia playing new mexico state in the first round and Leak break his ankle or something! over a 50-0 win

Guest JJBrickface

[ QUOTE ]

I would take 8 teams over what we have now but I still think you need at least 16 to really determine a clear champion. My preference is 32 which will give you a 4 week playoff and leave no doubt.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you only take teams then you are just going to have more controversy as before. Because the #9 or #10 team will say, We deserve to ranked higher than so or so." So its not the bowl system that is a flaw, it is the so called rankings. Thats why I believe we should just leave it the way it is. So if you would have a playoff it would have to be very small and be restricted to undefeated teams.

I don't think it would have to be small. Like I said, a 32 team playoff would take 4 weeks to complete. If you shorten the regular season back to 11 games and finsish it by Thanksgiving you could get the first two rounds done by mid-December and the final two in early January. You would throw out the polls and have each conference champ automatically qualify. You would fill the remaining slots with some type of (hopefully) fair at-large system.

Here's an idea on how to take care of the Notre Dame/Independent/special treatment/force them to join a BCS Conference crap...

All BCS Conference teams need to just quit playing Notre Dame...period. Take them off the schedule until they join a BCS Conference. Then Notre Dame would be forced into an all Non-BCS schedule...filled with Sevice Acadamies, MAC, WAC, Conference USA schools, etc.... NBC would end, or alter, its contract with ND due to lack of an audience...there goes TV money. ND's schedule wouldn't get them the respect from the voters in the polls and the computers sure would penalize them...there goes their shot at a BCS game. By hitting ND where it hurts, they would be forced to join one of the BCS Conferences. It may hurt some schools at the ticket gate in the short term but in the long haul, it would be very beneficial to ALL of college football.

[ QUOTE ]

I don't think it would have to be small. Like I said, a 32 team playoff would take 4 weeks to complete. If you shorten the regular season back to 11 games and finsish it by Thanksgiving you could get the first two rounds done by mid-December and the final two in early January. You would throw out the polls and have each conference champ automatically qualify. You would fill the remaining slots with some type of (hopefully) fair at-large system.

[/ QUOTE ]

32 teams requires FIVE games, not four. Way too many. This is a tournament of champions for a championship. Too many teams renders the regular season a moot point (college basketball's regular season). I don't want to see a team like Florida State had this year look like $hit and get on reputation only.

This is supposed to be for a reward for good play throughout the year not a, "get hot at the right time" contest.