All-time wins

atallexan

• 2 weeks later...

Actually my goal will be to update weekly throughout the season (I must be nuts confused.gif). I am lining up a contact in each state to update me on all games from their state on Sunday of each week, for teams on the national lists.

Would you like to be Mr West Virginia ? laugh.gif

i can find records that my alma mater, martinsville, was playing football as early as 1917 (from gw danville's website - a team that's already listed on the all-time wins list). and considering that i can prove that our current coach has nearly 190 wins since 1981 alone, i'd say we're darn close or over 400 wins. really wished i could find someone with the exact numbers....for bball and fball. gonna try to work on it.

i mentioned seeing evidence that mhs played games as early as 1917 (from the g.w. danville website). i also was able to find records of seasons (1950-59) played in the old "district 6" on pulaski county's website. our current coach (since 81) has a record of 187-69. those are the only numbers i am confident in.... the season before he took over, mhs played in the state finals. they were very dominant in the mid to late 70s as well, winning one of their 2 state titles, of 6 finals appearances, in 1975. the other was in 1988. i could piece together a few years here and there (possibly all the way back to 1950), but i haven't a clue how to get records from those early years.

[ QUOTE ]

i mentioned seeing evidence that mhs played games as early as 1917 (from the g.w. danville website). i also was able to find records of seasons (1950-59) played in the old "district 6" on pulaski county's website. our current coach (since 81) has a record of 187-69. those are the only numbers i am confident in.... the season before he took over, mhs played in the state finals. they were very dominant in the mid to late 70s as well, winning one of their 2 state titles, of 6 finals appearances, in 1975. the other was in 1988. i could piece together a few years here and there (possibly all the way back to 1950), but i haven't a clue how to get records from those early years.

[/ QUOTE ]

Great start. I find building information around the coaches record is a good tool. I have not been able to locate anything so far. What is the current coach's name?

This is all I've been able to find on Graham...

Graham High School open in 1913...not sure of the year they started playing football, however, that is a 90 year existence.

I have complete records for 1952, 1953, 1959, 1961, and 1973-2003, a total of 35 seasons. Graham's overall record for those 35 seasons is 251-132-4, .654 winning percentage.

I will keep "digging" to see if I can find the results from the "missing seasons".

current coach's name is taylor edwards. this just an aside as i know u're unfamiliar with the program here. but i think it's really silly that the booster club, or someone with the capability of gathering all of this info hasn't done so on a website of "our" own. more astonishing is that our basketball program has 12 state titles, the most in the state of virginia, and there's no well kept records that i know of for them either.

[ QUOTE ]

current coach's name is taylor edwards. this just an aside as i know u're unfamiliar with the program here. but i think it's really silly that the booster club, or someone with the capability of gathering all of this info hasn't done so on a website of "our" own. more astonishing is that our basketball program has 12 state titles, the most in the state of virginia, and there's no well kept records that i know of for them either.

[/ QUOTE ]

You know the oddest thing in all my pursuit of records has been how many unsuccessful programs have their records, compared to the successful ones. You'd think it would be the other way around.

[ QUOTE ]

not certain for sure, but you might want to check them out.

Bridgeport High School

515 Johnson Ave.

Bridgeport WV

What can you tell me. Do you know how far back the football program goes? Any famous coach ?

[/ QUOTE ]

The legendary coach at Bridgeport was Wayne Jameson (sp?). Legend has it he went for two in the 4th OT of a state championship game because he "wanted to go home, one way or the other". They converted and won the title that year.

PS, I looked at your listing of teams that will get to 400 wins in 2004...Wayne, WV has an overall record of 399-378-28, with the first game occuring in 1923. My dad and I (mostly him) did a LOT of research on this a few years back to get EVERY game Wayne has ever played...we just completed it probably not 5-6 years ago, so without a shadow of a doubt, I verify to you that record as accurate.

[ QUOTE ]

The legendary coach at Bridgeport was Wayne Jameson (sp?). Legend has it he went for two in the 4th OT of a state championship game because he "wanted to go home, one way or the other". They converted and won the title that year.

PS, I looked at your listing of teams that will get to 400 wins in 2004...Wayne, WV has an overall record of 399-378-28, with the first game occuring in 1923. My dad and I (mostly him) did a LOT of research on this a few years back to get EVERY game Wayne has ever played...we just completed it probably not 5-6 years ago, so without a shadow of a doubt, I verify to you that record as accurate.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks Pioneer. I will add Wayne to the list. As to Coach Jameson, do you have any rough idea of the timeperiod that he was there ?

1988 WV Class AA title game at WVU Mountaineer Field in Morgantown. 4th OT Bridgeport trailing by 1 goes for 2 and Wins 29-28 over Winfield. During his post game enterview Coach Jameson stated "I went for 2 cause I wanted to go home." I wouldn't have believed this story if I hadn't seen it myself.

Bridgeport has won titles in 1955, 1972, 1979, 1986, 1988, 2000.

Bridgeport has lost in the title game in 2001.

Also Wayne County is closing in on #400 currently 399-378-28 according to the PA guy at Wayne High School.

• 1 month later...