Lookout for Bassett !

Bulldog 82

If Bassett remains in Div 3 AA then they will have a good shot a winning Region IV. They consolidated with Fieldale Collinville who had one of their best seasons ever last year. FC has a good new coach named Gilbert who turned their football program around. Bassett let their long time football coach go and hired Gilbert who will be bringing his Cavaliers to Bassett. I not a Bassett fan but if they remain in Div 3 with 1200 students then they will be a team to be reckoned with.

Out of curiosity, what was the reason for consolidation? The consolidation of Garden and Whitewood into Twin Valley was primarily due to the lowering number of students in both schools from K-12. I can see this wasn't a factor there.

Martinsville and Henry County has lost at least 15,000 jobs in the last 15 years. Population as well a student enrollments has also declined considerably. Lost tax revenue and along with reduced state funds has forced schools in Henry County to consolidate in order to cut cost. There is even a plan in action to merge Henry County's School System, which Bassett and Magna Vista are a part of, with Martinsville School System. All this consolidating and mergering talk has been a very emotional issue and has made for some very lively school board meetings.

I've looked around at several other football sites and so far Bassett is listed in Div 3, even on this site. If the VHSL is going to move them to Div 4 they better hurry up! Tomorrow is the big day, Aug 2 ! The beginning of football season! I luv it all... high school, college, pro football. I still don't care much for arena football though. The ACC should be real interesting this year with Va.Tech and Miami in the mix. Good luck to all you guys entering football bootcamp tomorrow!

I would think that the VHSL would treat MV and Bassett as new schools since they basically are this year, and put them into the right division. Since MV was already D4 they stay there but how would it be fair to leave the biggest school in the region in D3? And if they do stay D3 don't forget they would still have to play Graham or Grundy, or maybe both in the playoffs so don't think a D3 region title is in the bag for the new look Bengals.

I agree that they should be put in Div. 4 and it's not fair if they remain in Div.3. I didn't say they would have a region IV championship in the bag, I said they would have a good shot. Right now all the sites I've looked at has them still in Div 3. Martinsville and Dan River will probably be the only Div. 3 teams in the Piedmont District this year and hopefully at least one of them will make the playoffs.

From what I can gather from a few sources of mine is that this is the second year of the 2-year alignment plan and Bassett will stay Div. 3 for this year only and then next year, (granted enrollment is still at the same level) they will be in Div. 4 along with Magna Vista who will stay in the class they have played in for the past few years. I agree with you all when you say it isn't fair for the other smaller schools in the region and they should be treated like a new school, but we are talking about the vhsl here. Also, X, I've heard that Bassett is having a media day, I don't know if you are affiliated with Bassett in any way and would know but I found that rather interesting. I have never heard of a high school football team having a so called media day, I thought that was for the upper levels of football!

If you consider that a media day then so be it, but from what I understand this is going to be some big extravaganza. Usually all teams in the PD in Henry County, Martinsville, and Patrick County do what you are saying with the Martinsville Bulletin but from what I understand this is supposed to be something bigger, a few other papers, tv stations, crap like that. If that's the case, I wonder what all the fuss is over?

I graduated from Martinsville in 82 and I'm not a Bassett fan although I do pull for the Piedmont District in the playoffs. Maybe they are having a media day in order to help the merger go smoother. Bassett and Magna Vista should be at the top of the district this year. It will be interesting to see who wins their first 'merger' match up game this year.

I'll tell you what, if Magna Vista can make it out of their non-district schedule alive they will definitely have something for everybody in the district. With an out of district schedule with William Fleming, AAA-Petersburg, AAA-Franklin County, and AAA-G.W. Danville, there is a big possibility for them to take a physical beating early on. The only thing that will help that out is that big two week long bye they have towards the end of that stretch since they only have 9 games scheduled.