Powell Valley will win the LPD

jmarcum

Gate city lost a lot of players tonight and are down big time. The offense sputtered and the defense was lucky. When they meet Powell Valley and possibly Clintwood they are gonna get exposed. They played a soft zone tonight every single play. BLitzing nobody. When they did they left one gap open and it was the whole that ringstaff was to run in and boom 50 yards later td. They better work on their game or they are in trouble. They will roll over the small competition but they wont beat up everyone like they did last year. I like Powell Valley to win the district but Clintwood is gonna give everyone fits, you can guarantee that.

I thought Gate City did "ok" tonight, but they could and should have put Richlands away early on...Richlands made some good defensive stands, and that #80 kid should have had a huge night, he didn't get blocked hardly at all.

The GC defense does need to step it up a little, but they played a good game and came from behind to win a tuff one. Takes a lot of heart to do that...it was a game where you could feel the flow go from one team to another and back again...good football game...glad i drove down to watch it.

Ringstaff had some good runs, but I don't see him as the best in the SWD based on what he did tonight...he is very fast to the hole though and makes great cuts back against the defense to pick up hard extra yardage...but, I still don't think he is the "best". We'll know in a few weeks who is going to be the front runner...Richlands will have it's hands full against Tazewell next week. Backyard Brawl 2 is going to be interesting based on what I saw tonight.

"Gate city lost a lot of players tonight and are down big time."

You must be drunk? GC lost no one and clearly are not down, granted we had a great offense last year. This year will also be very good as well. Richland respectfully are quiet possible the SWD Champs this year.

Hell, I never heard of a player missing the rest of the season after having muscle cramps in Week 1. Maybe they do in Grundy, but they don't down here. Go watch your Golden Wave play that "tough opponent" in Sheldon Clark tonight and thump your chest on here after the game. You might as well be playing the Sisters of Mercy. You try and act like you know so much about football, but your postings on here and VAPreps say otherwise. You wouldn't know your arse from a hole in the ground. Your condescending comments make it tough to root for an old SWD foe, unlike Tazewell, Richlands, Graham, et al.

But really, anyone who reads your crap on internet boards wouldn't expect anything good to come out of your keyboard about Gate City or Richlands...there are reasons for such negative talk about both programs from you, aren't they? Richlands has owned Grundy on the football field for at least the past 3-4 years and Gate City has a all-time series record of 19-2 against the Golden Wave. Call it jealousy, call it hatred, call it envy...no matter, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out you are an idiot.

On another note, good luck to Richlands this year, they have a very good football team & I wish them the best. Neither team deserved to lose last night.

i think you are completely wrong about the grundy team. you need to come on over here and see us play. and jimmy marcum propably knows more about football than you think. u have to think about it, he has two of the best swva football players as younger brothers. hey come on over at east ridge toinght and see us play, we are tougher than you think. well good luck to powell valley and all teams. GO GRUNDY!!

Waveman92, I never said anything derogatory about Grundy's football team, never said they were not good or tough for that matter. I know they have a very good chance at winning the SWD, I think everyone realizes that. I also don't have anything against people from Grundy, there are some good quality people from up there...never met anyone from Grundy I didn't like. I dated a girl from Raven back in my teenage days; the music director at my church growing up was a lady from Grundy that I have much respect for, play softball & golf with some buddies from up there often as well. My reply was to jmarcum & him alone, no more no less.

Some friends of mine from Clintwood filled me in on the scrimmage with the Wave. I honestly think it may come down to Grundy & Richlands (JMHO). I know the Marcum brothers are good players, don't know them personally but I am sure they are fine young men.

The opening post made by jmarcum showed his lack of knowledge, most notably that GC "lost a lot of players" to injury. Some of the young men did come out of the game with muscle cramps, the temperature on the bank in town was 91* at 6 p.m. Sometimes players at GC do have muscle cramps, not sure if that happens to other team's players as well. The Devils did lose 18 seniors to graduation this past year & only returned one offensive starter, that being a guard. Most GC supporters were not sure on what to expect last night. GC had some bright spots in the scrimmage & jamboree, but they also had several problems that need(ed) to be ironed out as well. I'll be honest, what I heard about the Blues I thought we were going to be in for a long night. Richlands has a very good team, no doubt. I, of course, was happy with the determination & heart of a young GC squad. The comments from jmarcum were obviously a biased cheapshot at a rebuilding program that had success against the Wave when they faced each other in the past & at a Richlands team that IMO will be a formidable opponent for SWD teams this year.

As far as PV & Clintwood is concerned, GC fans realize they have great teams this year & if the Devils don't bring our "A" game as it has been referred to on other boards, our team may come out with a loss. Powell Valley returned 15/16 out of 22 starting postions, 19-20 seniors on the roster. Clintwood is always a tough draw & have made a good showing in pre-season and last night, always leaving it all out on the field. But the bright side is that games aren't played on a internet message board forum, they are played on the field. Hopefully we can upset one of these two this upcoming season.

With that said, hopefully you can understand my emphatic reply to the elder marcum. It was tasteless, uninformative, full of inaccuracies & bias...as always when posted my Mr. jmarcum.

...I apologize for being so long-winded wink.gif

Hey Lance, the kid that kept getting in was # 60. Weak side Defensive end. Cain put up 144 yards against a well coached defensive team, Young or not they played well. Good Luck Gate City, Have a great season.

Powell Valley MAY win the LPD title this year. Gate City MAY win the LPD title this year. Clintwood MAY win the LPD title this year. J.I. Burton MAY win the LPD title this year. The way that I see it anybody can win on any given night. But as of right now Gate City is the defending LPD, region D and state champions, so that puts them in a good position to capture the LPD crown. If I remember correctly the PV/GC game is in Gate City this year. Anybody would be hard pressed to name many schools who have won more then a handfull of games there other then Gate City. If I were to make an early season prediction on the LPD, then my vote would be the Blue Devils of Scott County. So until my Vikings beat the Blue Devils, the LPD belongs to Gate City.

Some of you folks who post on here get me tickled! GC's defense was lucky? Why can't you just call a good game a good game? I thoroughly enjoyed the game. Richlands is going to have a good year as will GC! Will GC win the LPD? I honestly have grave doubts myself, but we will still get a chance to play for it! We also get PV at home which will help. GC has only lost one game there since 98 (Floyd in the A Div.2 Semi's). It takes a "Big Man" to be so critical of High School kids (14-18 yr olds) on an online forum. I do understand the animosity toward GC.(not to the extent some people have) A lot of GC fans "hate" Phil Robbins, which amuses me also. None of them complain about Coeburn or Pound's coaches, I wonder why?

cool.gifI don't hear/read, anyone from GC saying we were going to run roughshod over anyone this year, just don't confuse that with us not being any good. I predict between 8-2 and 10-0, with 9-1 likely. Will they beat many people 73-0? I doubt it, but this year has very little to do with the last several. A great team in High School doesn't come along every year GC has been very good since the mid 90's (at least)! Grundy has had the opportunity to witness that first hand several times themselves. When GC won big then lost to Rustburg 7-0, I guarantee Grundy with a huge line would've give the Red Devils fits on a cold rainy day. The problem for Wave fans was they couldn't keep GC from scoring 42 the week before. Grundy was good! GC was quite a bit better! Will PV be better than GC? We'll just have to wait and see, I for one will be there with bells on. I look for an exciting season again down here at Legion Field. Good luck to Richlands the rest of the way, i see them between 7-3 and 9-1 now that they are 0-1.