VHSL vote today

Lance

One thing you forgot...

Lee and VHS both have until Oct. 11 to try to work with Region IV, Region C, and Region D to possibly create a dreaded "combination" district. If that is a no-go, then both Lee and VHS will remain where they are.

"The Executive Committee granted two appeals and denied six, but to provide possible relief for four schools whose appeals were denied approved two amendments that would permit regions to submit by Oct. 11 proposals for combination districts that could be considered by the Executive Committee at a special meeting on Oct. 13.

Combination districts permit schools assigned to two different groups to play in the same district for regular season competition, but then advance in tournament play to regions in different group classifications using formulas developed by the regions and approved by the Executive Committee.

One combination district might provide relief for Lee High School and Virginia High School in Southwest Virginia. Citing significant travel problems, Lee had requested to play down in Group A rather than Group AA, Region IV, Highlands District to which it has been assigned. Virginia had requested to be assigned to the Hogoheegee District in Region C, Group A instead of the Lonesome Pine District in Region D, Group A but said that if the move to Hogoheegee were denied, they preferred to play up in the Highlands District in Region IV, Group AA.

Lee and Virginia are charged with working with Region C, Region D and Region IV in developing a combination district plan. Unless the Executive Committee approves plans for combination districts on Oct. 13, Lee High School will play in Group AA, Region IV, Highlands District; Virginia High School will remain in Group AA, Region IV, Highlands District."

As I said, nothing good for teams west of Roanoke...

I don't think it's a bad thing unless they want to disolve the Highlands and move a couple of those schools to the Hogo and bring back the old SWD.

I don't think VHS or Lee should have won their appeal, and I think VHS should remain at AA level unless enrollment drops off.

I think they made the right call.

I don't understand the Wild Card thing yet, going to have to read up on that.

confused.gif

[ QUOTE ]

I don't think it's a bad thing unless they want to disolve the Highlands and move a couple of those schools to the Hogo and bring back the old SWD.

I don't think VHS or Lee should have won their appeal, and I think VHS should remain at AA level unless enrollment drops off.

I think they made the right call.

I don't understand the Wild Card thing yet, going to have to read up on that.

confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually Lance, our enrollment is 40 below the AA level, and we just have a hard time competing week in, week out, at AA. A move to the Hogoheegee would be perfect. We have natural, interstate rivalries, with a couple of those schools, and geographically its much closer than the LPD. Besides, the LPD doesnt offer Soccer or Swimming, 2 sports VHS excels at.

i agree on the other sports aspect of all this...if they have those programs in place it wouldn't be good for the kids to go to a place that doesn't have those sports.

I know theya re below the cut point for AA, but is this expected to continue in the future? Grundy was only at 300+ students last year and are over 500 this year? any idea on projections of student numbers in the short term future at VHS?

I still think they are better off staying where they are as compared to ther hogo or lpd.

I understand the travel time part of it as well.

[ QUOTE ]

i agree on the other sports aspect of all this...if they have those programs in place it wouldn't be good for the kids to go to a place that doesn't have those sports.

I know theya re below the cut point for AA, but is this expected to continue in the future? Grundy was only at 300+ students last year and are over 500 this year? any idea on projections of student numbers in the short term future at VHS?

I still think they are better off staying where they are as compared to ther hogo or lpd.

I understand the travel time part of it as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, yes, the downward trend is expected to continue, unfortunately. From last year, to this year, 45 were lost.