Princeton 27, Beckley 6

Beckley_WWHS

Beckley takes another pounding tonight. They have now lost five straight and are 1-5 on the season.

From what I've heard, Lilly is really taking a lot of heat right now from a lot of people. Everyone from the fans to the administration.

[ QUOTE ]

From what I've heard, Lilly is really taking a lot of heat right now from a lot of people. Everyone from the fans to the administration.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really hate to hear that, but I can understand their frustration. I just hope they don't do something they'll end up regretting...

I've seen this coming for several weeks. Lilly may be a fine individual, and dedicated to his team, I'm just not sure if he's a AAA-level coach. I remember his simple statement of "we're going to run the ball and play tough defense" a few years ago. Hate to break it to you, but sometimes that isn't good enough at that level.

I see where the heat's coming from, Woodrow hasn't had a good year since 2001, and has clearly gotten progessively worse during that time, and don't tell me it's all do to lack of talent.

Lilly needs to look to next season right now, because if 2005 goes anything like this year in Beckley, I'd say someone else will be coaching in 2006. That's provided that patience lasts that long, because I'd say there are some pretty unhappy campers right now.

Lilly's stance on his offense gameplan has changed in recent weeks. Against Bluefield, he used the spread on quite a few occasions in the second half. Unfortunately, it proved to be pretty ineffective b/c Beckley's QB was very inaccurate with his passes. Since that game I know Beckley has now changed QBs and gone to a sophomore, who is a better passer. Last week, according to the Beckley radio crew that called into Gamenight, Beckley ran the spread offense the entire night against Princeton. I think that’s a wise move for Beckley b/c they have the athletes and quickness at the skill positions to spread people out. However, it’ll take his kids some time to get used to running that type of offense after running run dominate style prior. The man deserves at least another year to try and get things worked out, but he might not get that year.

Lilly's success at shady spring speaks for itself, but that said, I agree about this situation at beckley, and in my opinion it's a simple matter where I don't think his style of football compliments beckley's best potential. That's sometimes simply the way it is. He's an exceptional coach, and motivator, but beckley, with all their speed and athletes, might warrant a different approach to their program. Sort of how steve spurrier's system wasn't successful at pros. Beckley actually would benefit from a spurrier style.

In my opinion, beckley is potentially aaa's worst concern in the waiting.

2 thoughts on beckley, do they really put enough emphasis on football with their emphasis on basketball what it is? And watching them off and on in recent seasons, I question what type of off season training program they have there, or what their committment in the off season is, as despite their players being physically talented, they don't seem to be conditioned at the level other aaa teams are.

I think spadaro is an exceptional coach, and i prefer to see him at princeton, but none the less it would be intruguing to see what he could potentially accomplish at beckley.

[ QUOTE ]

I question what type of off season training program they have there, or what their committment in the off season is, as despite their players being physically talented, they don't seem to be conditioned at the level other aaa teams are.

[/ QUOTE ]

i have known coach lilly for years and i kno that he is extremely strict about the weight room. he had somewhere around 90 kids in the wieght room. they lift 3 times a week and condition on tuesday and thursday during the offseason up until football practice starts. this year and last year were down years next year they will have it all coming back. this year they just arent good thats all there is to it. that junior class is where the talent is. what kills woodrow is there attitude. heck coach lilly cant run the ball so why not try to spread it out and pass it there QB isnt bad from what i heard. he is a junior. if you question his success in AAA he did go to the playoffs 4 years in a row so what if he got stomped all 4 years, he was still in there unlike other teams sitting in the stands and watching. but i think the best team he will ahve for a while will be next years team. it will be a big disapointment if they dont make a little bit of noise next year. they will have a fairly good bit of talent on that team. they must put this season behind them.

Maybe it is simply this group of players not being a team as they should, I read that somewhere else. I recall they did have an exceptional team a few seasons ago, '01 maybe. I was surprised university defeated that team as they did in the playoffs, they must not have played to their potential.

We'll see how they do in '05 then, it would be good to see them at the top of aaa with a title God willing.