Garon Marcum gets player of the week honors

Lance

Grundy's Marcum rushes to top 'Player' honor

Posted: Wednesday, Oct 06, 2004 - 11:10:21 pm EDT

By BOB REDD

Bluefield Daily Telegraph

BLUEFIELD - Grundy football is characterized by a hard-nose, straight ahead type of play. This past week the Golden Wave ground game rolled up the yardage in a victory over non-district Marion. Leading the way for the Wave was Garon Marcum who had three TDs and ran for 278 yards on just 14 carries. For his performance Marcum is this week's Bluefield Daily Telegraph/Pocahontas Coal Association "Player of the Week."

LINK to full article

Congrats to Garon and to Grundy.

I cannot believe that Quentin Steptoe didn't at least make the honorable mention list considering he scored three touchdowns (two rushing and one receiving) against Martinsburg on Friday night. Some of those other performances pale in comparison to Quentin's performance...

I noticed that to...esp with them playing a very tuff #1 AAA school and it being the hometown paper...not to take anything away from what Garon did because I don't think he's gotten any love from the press all year and he does deserve it, but I expected Steptoe to bring it home this week.

EDIT:

Garon also won player of the week honors at virginia preps in AA....so congrats to him on winning that also!

LINK is here!

I know that the powers that be are looking at the statistics when they make these decisions and Q only had like 44 yards rushing but he did have 3 total TD's against the team that was considered by many to be the best in the state.

yeah like BR said though you would figure he would at least get honorable mention or something...3 TD's against the #1 AAA team is huge for a AA back even if he only had 3 yards...lol.

Esp. considering it's the hometown paper...no love at all.