Just when you think you've seen it all ... Weir

footballfreak

It is being reported on another board that the SSAC has ruled that Weir will not have to forfiet any games for using an ineligible player (less than 2.0 GPA).

For those who haven't heard ... they had a player tranfer from Ohio. When his official transcripts were received he didn't have the required GPA and Weir had already played two games at least. Use of an ineligible player is a violation of WVSSAC rules.

The SSAC ruling said that just because the principal and AD made a mistake, it wouldn't be fair to penalize the team. Make sense? So ... Weir keeps all wins but is placed on one year probation (Double Secret no doubt) and goes on with the season.

Seems to me that this sets a dangerous precedent. It seems that if the administration takes the blame, it's ok to play ineligible players and the SSAC sees this as fair. I call it selective enforcement. How is this fair to any team that was beaten whose players were eligible?

This may seem radical but if they are able to keep their wins ... maybe their probation should have them sit out the playoffs. After all ... it seems that they would only be profiting from any illegal participation. That's the NCAA way.

What do you expect from the SSAC? It's one of the most worthless organizations there is. They have no backbone to enforce their own rules and regulations. They take kick-backs from Wheeling to keep the Super Six there despite the fact that 99% of the state is against it. The SSAC is an absolute joke and this is just another example of that...

i agree with BR, although hes much nicer than i am when speaking about them..look at it this way.. a team now can knowingly take a highly valuable, athletic player even if he doesnt meet the standards, b/c if they get caught, they wont have to forfeit any games and will just be placed on probation, so the gains by breaking the rules, far outweigh the risks. this is setting a horrible precedent, and they will be obligated to grant every team the same 'break' in the future, moreso, what about the teams of the past that have had to forfeit games..this decision needs to be over turned and over turned immediately

My thoughts also basically. I've been reluctant to post them as much as I don't care to seem like being from bluefield we hope weir isn't in the playoffs, as I posted on the tri states message board, that's not the case, I hope bluefield does have to play the strongest teams. But that said, in this case it happens to be weir, and I have to comment that it's frustrating that the ssac rules are flexible. I simply thought it was a matter of determining if the player was ineligible or not, not if they should forfeit the games or not if the player was ruled ineligible.

I didn't know the rules were flexible.

I honestly question if that were bluefield, 1 of the southern extreme regional contenders, if the ssac would determine or not that bluefield would have to forfeit their games.

Myself I would expect bluefield to and rightly so.

It's nothing personal about weir, doesn't matter what team it would be, but a matter of the ssac.