Mavs face Liberty in rematch

mavsgrad

If all goes well this could be an easy first round for JM. I know how dangerous it is to face a team in the playoffs that you beat easily in the regular season. Liberty, however, has struggled since JM gave them their first loss. This is due largely to the absence of their starting QB. I think JM really needs to focus on opening up our passing on offense and shutting down the pass on defense. If we can get out ahead of Liberty in the first half like we did before we need to try and take advantage of the opportunity to work on passing.This killed us against Bluefield and if we don't improve we may not even have to worry about facing them again in the semis. Providing we do beat Liberty we will either face Sherman "unlikely" or a very tough Weir team.

I don't see Liberty as a big problem, providing we play well. For any Mavs out there who saw the first game at Liberty; keep in mind that we didn't score at all in the second half. I think that Coach Witt had best already be starting to do some new things on offense like passing to keep the defense honest. If we don't we may not be able to run the ball down Liberty's throat again and we sure as heck won't against Weir or Bluefield if we make it that far.

From what I hear coach Witt is to hard headed to throw the ball more which is a big mistake. We need to come out throwing early in games to keep people honest. Everyone comes out stacking the line against us so I believe we could get some easy scores early if we would just throw some. In the oak hill and w.east games we got easy scores throwing the ball cause the db's were to far up worrying about the run, In those games I mentioned are wr's didn't have anyone with in 10 yards of them when they caught the ball. If we are going to be sucessful in this single wing offense for years to come, we are going to need a passing game to go with it. You can't wait to throw the ball when you have no choice. You've got to mix it up. The real contenders do both.Look at the past champions recently they had great running games but they could throw too. Just my opinion but I believe the single wing offense could be hard to stop if you also had a passing game. Thats what makes Giles so tough year in and year out. They catch you sneaking up to stop the run and they are not afraid to air it out on you.

I agree my freind. Giles makes the single wing work and they do it by ixing the run and the pass. So that leaves one of two options. Either we don't have anyone capable of throwing the ball well or Coach Witt just cannot or will not use the pass effectivly.

IF we don't play the pass better, I don't think it will matter what the offense does. Liberty will throw the ball, so we better be ready for it. I'm beginning to wonder if we have anyone that can teach the kids on pass defense. It will be interesting Friday night. Can't wait......

i dont beleive he is going to play again this year. from what i have heard that he is never gonna play football again because his mom wont let him. its a shame his parents are gonna keep him out however he has so much talent. if he would have played longer against james monroe the outcome probably would have been closer but it still would have been the same result. i think weir will get them in the second round. weir and bluefield will probably be better then the championship game.

Well I'm glad to hear that. I don't know much about Weir as far as if they like to run or pass or if they have a big line. All I know is that they are well respected around the state and have had a good season. I know this has been said several times but whether it is against Liberty, Weir, Bluefield or whoever, we have got to make the defense play us honest by opening up our intermidiate passing game. We don't need to throw the bomb, we just need to be more effective in our 5-15 yard passing game. We also need to improve greatly on passing defense. These two things doomed us aganst Bluefield. Not to take anything away from Bluefield, they have a great team but there is something wrong when we can't even score. We are better than that.

I'm not saying James Monroe is better, I'm just saying James Monroe would have a huge advantage by playing at home. IMO Weir has the better team. After watching your qb and receivers against Blfd, I'm not so sure JM can have a consistent passing game. The passes that were attempted seemed pretty ugly.

[ QUOTE ]

there is something wrong when we can't even score.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I believe it's called defense...lol

Too bad about Liberty's QB. If they had him they could possibly beat James Monroe with his ability to pass the football, but without their chances are slim to none.

Oh, I didn't think that you were saying that JM was better than Weir. I was just thrilled at the thought that playing in Lindside may give us a 7-10 point edge. As for the reason we were held scoreless against Bluefield, our 1 demensionale offense had more to do with it than Bluefield's defense. I acknowledge that Bluefield's D is good but who can't do well on defense when all you have to do is put 11 guys in the box. If Bluefield never passed the entire game against JM I doubt they would have scored more than 14 points if that. So don't pat yourself on the back too much. Our offense made it fairly easy for your defense. GO MAVS and GO GOLDEN KNIGHTS. Man I never thought I'd say that.

the key to a good pass defense is the pass rush NOT the pass coverage. Put pressure on the qb and you can stop it. In Blfd case all they had to do was throw the little three step drop and slant in passes and your defense was out athleted, simple as that. Rusty could have passed every down, it was there every play. so the reason you guys were shuut out had nothing to do with Blfd's defense, it was JM's one demential offense. Give me a break!!!! If Blfd would have never passed the entire game they would have never scored more than 14 points. Passing is part of the game, as is running. If the Dallas Cowboys hadn't passed they wouldn't have won 5 Super Bowls. Your offense did make it easy. Your were out classed in every phase by a much better team, period. I hope you guys get to play Weir. Not because I like the Mavs but because it will make Weir have to travel a long way for 2 weeks in a row, with the second being to Bluefield.

Imagine that, the James Monroe is now not that good. However, up until they faced Bluefield JM was averaging a ton of yards and over 40 points a game. Does anyone else see the irony in this?

I'd root for MV too if I was in your shoes b/c if by some miracle James Monroe would beat Weir (fat chance) I wouldn't want to play again Bluefield either.

This is the bottom line guys. Ok, yes Bluefield is a better team than JM this year. The other thing is that I despise Bluefield and will pull for anyone over them and you guys are a lot of the reason. In my opinion Bluefield fans for the most part are cocky and arrogant. The only Beaver fan that I have found on this thread that I respect is Buzzsawbeaver and I met a very nice lady from Bluefield at our game earlier in the year. But most of you guys read threads in a way to start arguments. If you read down through this thread I have respected Bluefield as a team the entire time. Beaverball said that I said that the Beaver's D had nothing to do with our loss. I did not, I said that our 1 Demensional offense had more to do with it than Bluefields outstanding defense. Therefore, Bluefield you have a great football team, whose players carry themselves better than most of your fans.

[ QUOTE ]

Should a Wier/James Monroe game take place I have a comment to make: It will be a huge culture shock for Wier to come to Lindside and IMO that is worth 7-10 points for James Monroe. [/quote

I'd say they got their culture shock when they came to Bluefield last year....

i played in the shady game against bluefield. and one of the best parts about bluefield is they persue real well. if u watched the beginning of the game we spread bluefield out and was moving the ball but then we went back to the Double wing and that was all she wrote. but really if you havent noticed it yet the teams that have spread bluefield out have played with them, that is what makes weir so dangerous is there passing ability. james monroe is just too one demensional. if u want to beat bluefield u must control the ball and have a good passing game. but if bluefield has any weakness its in there secondary and at that their not too weak.

I'm not even thinking about anyone exept Liberty right now. If we don't climb this mountain first, potential second and third round playoff matchups are absolutely meaningless. As long as James Monroe doesn't have several turnovers, they'll probably win this game.

If Liberty's QB is still out, I think their in huge trouble. Despite JM's pass defense against Bluefield (or lack of it), a young QB will have problems throwing againt us, especially when you don't have people like Mike Davis and Jonathan Repass to throw to. I honestly believe that if Liberty throws more than 10 times, they'll throw more TD passes to our defensive backs than to their wide receivers.

[ QUOTE ]

Apparently all other schools dispise bluefield

Why? i dont understand this

becuase we have a good football team?

[/ QUOTE ]

We you're always winning and have a great tradition such as Bluefield has you'll have plenty of detractors. Many people loathe anyone more successful than themselves, or in the case of sports, more successful than their respective team. Don’t take it as a negative thing, I don’t, take it as a compliment. I’d rather be hated and successful, then loved and unsuccessful.