The Glory of SWVA in 2004?

TheAlpha

I've read post after post about how teams (including the Blue Tornado) will run into a brickwall when facing teams east of the exit for Pulaski off of I-81. Post who will, in your humble opinion, bring home the glory from the rest of the state...and truly represent SWVA by winning semis and at least making it to -- if not winning -- the championship?

YOU CAN'T PICK YOUR CLUB...pick the likely one from your adversaries (whether you've played or not) so we bring some "man-love" back. The maker knows this board needs it. I'll begin with my pick...

GRUNDY (sliding by Gretna in the upset of all upsets)

AA - Richlands...enough depth and talent this year to finally shut those arrogant jerks out east up.

A - Gate City...only because I don't think PV can beat them twice this year...whoever wins the GC vs. PV game will win state.

Of the teams I've seen play, I think Gate City has a chance to repeat. Grundy has a good chance to at least get there. They didn't play well when I saw them but they pretty much dominated the rest of their games.

I agree with Lance. I don't think anybody can beat GC twice in one year. In Division II it's likey GC, but, you can't count out Lebanon who will bring their A game and may bounce GC out during the semi's. In Division I, I think Burton has a tremendous oppurtunity to run the table. They put up 30 points on GC. Grundy has a tall order, but, will push Gretna after being pushed by VA High and Tazewell in the Regional playoffs. Good Luck Wave, J.I. Burton, Lebanon and/or GC and/or PV. That's why they play the games!

AA... i would say Richlands, they have a great backfield and hard hitting Defense.

A... Gate City or Powell Valley, it just depends on who beats the other and i dont think that powell valley can win twice in a row to be honest.

I think Richlands has a good shot at beating Pulaski, Salem, Liberty, and Amherst. I have seen Pulaski and they looked very good but a good D like you guys say Richlands has could stop their running game. I would however, pick the winner of region 3 over Richlands but they do have a shot.

Grundy will lose to Gretna. I think the spread offense gives Grundy trouble. HOWEVER, I think that Gretna will not make it that far and Grundy will face Cave Spring, C-burg, or Hidden Valley, which will be a heck of a game!!

Whoever makes it out of Region C and D will have a tough game with Manasses Park because they too have a Vic Hall type Qb.

Division 1 will get smoked by Sussex Central no matter who makes it!!!!!!

I think it will be Grundy and Gretna in three games...If Grundy shows up to play and turns the defense loose, they can beat Gretna...if they try to play conservative and defend the pass and worry about containment, Gretna will eat them alive...Grundy will have to just try to get after Hall and hunt him down before he can throw the ball...good thing is Grundy is hard to run against when they do this to..and Marcum and Looney at LB are pretty good at containment on screens in this kind of situation...if they run quick routes the secondary can come up and make some plays...Garon has been waiting on a quick slant to come his way all year...lmfao...(inside joke...sorry grin.gif)

Gretna has already shown they can let a team put some points up on them...which Grundys offense can score 50+ points in a game when its going good...but, Grundy's defense can add a few to that also.

The difference being, Gretna will come in to this game (if it happens) knowing they can beat Grundy...Grundy will come in to this game knowing they are playing for respect...no matter what Grundy does, or who they play, someone always has a gripe about it...whoever they play (if they make it that far) will have to face one of Grundy's best teams in a long time...and a group of SR's and JR's that wants to earn respect...I think if they get that far you will see the most physical game these kids have ever played...if they manage to get past that, the next game will be a lot of fun no matter what happens.

For some of these kids, this the next 4 games can be life changing weeks...it can make the difference in where and maybe even if some of them go to college...they will have the rare chance to showcase their talent against what everyone will agree is a legit top notch team...regardless of who it is.

I just hope for a fair game and no injuries and they can leave everything on the field from there. They have to go out and earn the first two first...then we can talk about this again in a few weeks...always fun to look down the road with a little "what if" though.