James Monroe Survives Round one

mavsgrad

Well, James Monroe is advancing to round two after beating Liberty 12-10. Now I didn't go to the game but I listened to about the last 7 minutes of the game and I am not very happy. If there is any Mavs fans who attended the game and have an explanation for the close score I would love to hear it. I am a faithful Mavs fan but I was not impressed by our performance. I know that playing in a rematch is always dangerous but guys, we are not going to be around for week three if we don't step it up. I was impressed to here that Newman was held to about 50 yards on 18 carries but guys we have got to do more on offense and we were burnt on a pass play late in the game that would have given Liberty the lead but luckly he lost his footing. So guys good job on the win and coach Witt, start getting creative.

A win is a win. We had trouble holding on to the wet ball tonight. The defense really stepped up.

I have no faith at all in coach Witt. The single wing is a bunch of crap. As far as I'm concerned, he can take the single wing and take it back to Giles County. I don't think you will find many that like it in Monroe County.

The best thing about winning tonight, is breaking all those hearts in Bluefield that wanted us to lose in the first round.....

[ QUOTE ]

The best thing about winning tonight, is breaking all those hearts in Bluefield that wanted us to lose in the first round.....

[/ QUOTE ]

man u all just dont stop. coach witt just needs. to open up the passing game and when u dont have a true QB its hard to do that.

even in a narrow Victory, some of the JM fans are still whinin and cryin to us Beaver fans..that whoopin you alll took from Blfd mustve really stuck in your crawl..not sure how it couldve, since that Beaver foot was ankle deep in it..your day is comin..id bet everything i own that JM wont even make it to wheeling

It looks like it's the other way around. Beaver fans can't stop talking about JM. I haven't seen a thing on this thread where anyone said anything about Bluefield. It seems every time JM fans posts something, someone from Bluefield jumps in with some smart remark. I know it hurts for someone other then Bluefield to do well.

Just remember, what goes around comes around. It's easy to talk when you think you're the best thing going. Next year might be different, the shoe could be on the other foot.

[ QUOTE ]

I know it hurts for someone other then Bluefield to do well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hardly. I root for other teams to do well, I hope Shady has a good showing in the playoffs and can get far. Shady fans, for the most part, have always been respectful of Bluefield. They might want to pound us in the groud when we play them, and rightfully so, but they do show some class.

We just don't root for James Monroe b/c the majority of their fan base are spiteful, country jerks. The JM fans I’ve encounter, both in person and on internet board, have always spewed vile comments toward anything Bluefield. You just mention you’re from Bluefield and say nothing more you can expect to have a couple of negative comments thrown your way. I've always found it funny at the amount of dislike, borderline hate, people in Monroe county have for Bluefield. It's sad...

I really have nothing to say about JM because we have something more important to worry about: Mount View.

It's really unfortunate that we're on opposite sides of the bracket because I feel fans of each team would enjoy a rematch. Hopefully we can have one in Wheeling. Best of luck to the Mavs for the remainder of the playoffs.

You may not see it now, but the single wing is a major weapon. You dont just run it good in 2 years. Your line doesnt block the way a single wing line should. It takes time. The single wing builds a team unity you wont find in a conventional offense. Giles has a lot of these qualities, and if Monroe people would give it a chance they would see its the right offense for the area. Monroe or Giles doesnt exactly turn out Top College talent year in and year out. If you have a good passing tailback you can open things up. Giles is a lot less creative than JM. They run unbalanced to 1 side only , and in most games they only run 6 or 7 plays, and they usually dominate. Nobody touches a back until he is 4 yards into the secondary, and they will run they same play over and over. Its old timey, hardnosed football. You should be proud to be a part of this old offense.

I somewhat agree. I was a big fan of the single wing when it came out and then this year I started thinking man we are so one dementional because of this single wing. Then it hit that Giles passes the ball effectivly so why can't we. Really the last QB I remember being very effective passing the ball for JM single wing or not was Matt Ballangee in 98. I don't love the single wing but I don't think it in and of itself is to blame for our simple run the ball tendencies on offense. I'm not an expert on playbooks but I think that If Giles can throw the ball out of it then so can we. Either we need more time to learn the new offense, we don't have anyone that can throw well, or Witt just hasn't tried it in practice and games enough to develope the pass. I'm guessing it's all three probably more so the latter two.

Giles throws very little. They usually dont have to. The running game can be so dominant that its a last resort. The unbalanced line, blocking back, and the angle the blockers have creates excellent double team blocks, and wide open traps. This year Giles has the talent to pass the ball well. Thats not always the case. If not for the single wing and Ragsdales old school style coaching, Giles would not have near the success they have had. JM is in WV, where nobody runs single wing , or even sees it. Just because Bluefield beat you bad, fans shouldnt scrap the offense. Bluefield would stop any offense. The beat Martinsburg with their high octane passing attack. JM just doent have much passing talent this year. The single wing is the best thing for them. If they had a regular offense, they probably would have lost to Shady.