Weir THROWS out James Monroe 63-22

MavsRock

Weir QB Brandon Sperlazza tied a AA playoff record throwing for 8 touchdowns to lead Weir to the semifinals. The 63 points was the most ever put on James Monroe in it's 11 year history.

James Monroe got down 42-0 before it scored, and went 3&out on it's first 4 or 5 possesions. Needless to say, the pressure for Witt to scrap the single wing is pretty intense right now, and for maybe the first time, I agree with that criticism. This is twice in a row that a team has rocked us out of the playoffs in a blowout. This one will hit the fan.

Wier vs. Bluefield will be huge, and I may go see it. Maybe Bluefield's defense will be able to slow Weir down, we certainly couldn't. I wasn't exactly expecting a shoutout, by I thought our defense was a lot better than this. James Monroe couldn't stop the run or the throw today.

I cannot say that I'm surprised by today’s results. James Monroe's pass defense, or lack there of, is atrocious. Plus, the single wing offense is susceptible to being totally shutdown against teams that are both fast and disciplined on defense, especially when you cannot pass the football. At this point in the playoffs, you cannot be a one-dimensional team or you won’t last too long.

I agree 100% as to why this happened. The Maverick offense has to get some kind of air threat, or they'll keep on going home crushed. As for the pass defense, I kind of suspect that the lack of passing plays on our offense is contributing to the problem. When you don't have a QB, or in most cases, wide receivers, IMO that makes it much tougher to read them when the real thing comes around. I don't think it's any accident that the teams who lack a passing game themselves, usually have the hardest ime trying to stop it.

[ QUOTE ]

Now that you have seen both teams play, what do you think are some advantages/disadvantages for each team going into next week and who do you think will win?

[/ QUOTE ]I'm in Atlanta, and I haven't seen any of the teams play, but I have to think that Bluefield having a good pass offense, and seeing it every day in practice, HAS to help. If what I read is true, and JM uses a single wing, going up against a passing team has to be a problem (sort of like what Bluefield was able to do to them).

I have no feeling about who will win between Bluefield and Weir (I may make the trip up from ATL to see the game, though...), but I'd put my money on Bluefield in a close game, maybe 35-28-ish.

Next season start freshman Taylor Robertson at QB. I know he'll be in 9th grade, but he's probably the best option we have right now. He's thrown very well for Peterstown the last 2 years in middle school. Know one has any real experience throwing anyway right now on the returning varsity team. The schedule should have the weaker teams early, and even if you do drop a couple of games in the season, it may just prevent what happened yesterday from happenning again in the post season. Honestly though, I have no clue what will happen this winter.

Losing to Weir had nothing to do with the singl wing offense. Weir is much bigger and much better, and JM defense just couldnt stop anything. JM has no passing threat this year. It makes no difference what offense you are in. If JM ran a spread, Weir would have crushed that too. JM doesnt execute the single wing good just yet. You have to give it time. The single wing is perfect this area, You can pass better out of it than most offenses, because a lot of it is out of pocket passing, and it draws the defense up. If the talent was there, Im sure Coach Witt would have used it. Look on some single wing sights, and look at the playbooks. Youll see the missmatched it creates on the line and LB's. JM's 2 losses were to much, much better teams.

Maybe you can throw out of it and maybe you can't. I've noticed several times that this offense, as has been notited, it vulnerable to a complete shutdown, especially in the 2 TE look. After what's happened against good teams lately you'll have a hard time telling the Monroe County faithfull that this is the way to go.

I do have to disagree on the statement that the single wing didn't contribute to the blowout. When you don't get a 1st down the entire first half, that can have as much to do with a rout as the defense. In some previous years, James Monroe stayed competive with teams they couldn't stop be scoring many points as well and getting some first downs. As of late, they haven't even been competitive with better teams. The single wing IMO will have problems being ran in Monroe County because the middle school coaches at Peterstown won't run it, and performances like last Saturday won't encourage them too.

MavsRock.....I have to agree. The single wing is good against lesser teams. A good team can shut it down. I haven't spoke to one JM Fan that likes it. If we run it next year, then our season will go like the last two.

If your football system wont work together between middle school and high school, you will always have problems. Everyone needs to be on the same channel. Anyway, what is wrong with the last 2 seasons? A lot of teams would love to go 9-2. James Monroe hasnt been loaded with talent. This offense alone probably gave you 3 extra wins this year.