hurley excuses

ghostface

i've been readin this message board for some time now but have never posted and i believe its time to do so. first, i want to congratulate the boys on makin the playoffs but in all honesty football at hurley is in a sad state. i sit and read all the posts about how sorry the coaches are and what needs to be done. a good way to start is parents cuttin the cord on their kids and lettin them grow up. you've got parents standin on the sidelines and tryin to help coach. sorry to say it but i don't think you'll be able to follow them to work if they ever get a job. another thing is the kids just don't care. they want to stand in front of the mirrors in the weightroom and flex their little muscles and put their underarmour on and go look good for the crowd instead of workin hard to improve and if somethin is said then they go home and pout to mommy and daddy. football is a rough sport, if it wasn't then everybody would play. just like footballnut stated, what are these kids gonna do when their boss someday jumps them? i'm not puttin the blame off on just the kids, they also need coaches that are around them all day and who teach on and off the field but the big problem starts with the kids. they want everything to be handed to them. i hope everybody associated with hurley football reads this and realizes some of the things said are true.

Nothing new here.

As for parents helping coach, from the practices I saw (I was a regularly during two-a-days since the 2nd practice started at 6 in the evening) no parents were there trying to coach there kid. Some parents came to watch there kid practice, but what is wrong with that?

If anything, what would it hurt to have more people there to help in the first place? Honaker has 16 to 20 people who helps them coach. Only 7 people total can be paid to coach, so the rest must be volunteers. And what is wrong with volunteers? They can do most of the dummy holding or be place holders for practicing against what the team may face. That sure as heck is better than lining up your defense against air.

I'm not saying to let volunteers have any power, but if people want to help, let them. Hurley didn't even max out its number of paid assistants, certainly somebody could be given those openings, no?

You obviously either don't have a clue, or are smokin' some real sweet buddah.

In any case, you described about 99% of teams in this area, so why knock Hurley?

And to say these kids are more worried about looking good than playing is completely hilarious. Find me a team who fields 16 and maybe 14 of them play any or at all, and can go to region. Not to mention the coaching quality isn't top notch either, nor are the training facilities.

And I'd like to know what parents you are referring to, because I with dj have no clue as to what you're talking about.

Senseless and mindless babble by another clueless fan, IMO.

i would bet any amount u want that i know more about hurley football than both of u put together. as for trainin facilities, hurley has just as good of facilities as anybody else in the district because i've been to and seen them all. as for parents helpin out, don't like that idea much at all. coaches are a certain group of individuals who are paid to do their jobs besides listenin to 5 or 6 opinions for different people and i'm sorry to say guys but it looks like hurley backed into the playoffs. think its safe to say they played the easiest schedule in the state of virginia with the exception of honaker and haysi which they have to play. u referred to parents bein able to hold dummies instead of goin against air, well boys don't think those dummies can hit back. why not go half-line scrimmage and drills like that, atleast the guys can go against each other. i'm not takin anything away from the boys, i hope they win it all next year but i feel there's alot of info floatin around by people that know nothin about what they're talkin about. as for flexin in front of the mirror, looks like haysi and honaker are doin a little less flexin and more liftin cuz i know hurley has just as much or more talent than any of those teams

It's one thing to watch Hurley football, it's another to grasp the actual concept of it, learn it, and actually know what you're talking about.

But hey, I can say I'm Albie Einstein on the internet but judging by your posts, you really have no clue as to what you're talking about in the least.

Heck, I probably wouldn't be to far out of line you're one of those people who refer to Hurley people as "the people over the mountain."

Either that or you're a Race Fork holligan who stays strung out most of its life. Either or, what's the difference?

Guest BB_TWEEDER

Your not taking anyrhing from the boys? Lets see honaker and haysi field 14 0r 15 boys and hold Burton's offense to 7 points for the first 11 mins of the game and hold haysi to 7 points for a quater and half. Yes they are some changes need to be made in the boys attitude i should know im one of the players myself and ill admit i said a couple of things during practice this year i shouldnt have said, BUT WERE NOT SORRY. We played in pain becasue we didnt have enough to come in our place and we have had boys laying on the field and have the coachs not come out because if they did we had to leave the game for a play so insted of laying there we got UP!!!!! Thats not being sorry thats showing heart!!!!!!!

I agree... Most of the Hurley football players showed a lot of character and heart during the season. You can compare Hurley Rebels to Wake Forest, a good football team that would have posted a hell of a record if a couple small things would have gone their way...

Tug Valley - Lost 6-2, on the 6 inch line did not punch it in for the go ahead score.

Twin Valley - Lost 18-14, Twin Valley blocks punt recovers in the end zone for 6 points.

Bid Creek - Lost 21-8, Inside the redzone 5 times resulting in 0 points. Down 15-2 with 7 minutes remaining in ball game and head coach decides to put second string in because "game is over". Second string gives up one score.

Unake - Lost 19-0. Down 13-0 in 4th quarter. Inside red zone several times resulting in 0 points. A couple minutes remaining in regulation and Unaka breaks a long run for 6.

At the worst Hurley should have finished 6-4, at the absolute worst. Yeah some people may argue Hurley has a weak schedule, hell who do you want them to schedule? Gate City and Powell Valley, football teams that have more players than Hurley has in their entire school... exageration people.

For those who have made comments about Hurley's weak schedule please post the names of a few schools that you would like Hurley to play.

I dont really have a dog in this fight but I was gonna add that Hurley playing Powell Valley is no different numbers wise than Grundy having to play Carroll County or maybe even Richlands.

A well prepared team with talent can overcome a numbers problem. Us, Graham, and Tazewell are 3 of the smallest schools in AA ball, smaller than several in A. Its all about preparation and heart.

For Grundy 10 it is hard to play with 13 or 14. as u said but it isnt as easy to over come it in single a football. Like for Grundy it is easy to over come the problem u all have 30 players and the weakest schedule in double a football.Plus not to forget from waht i can gather grundy has 5 players from hurley. The ony teams u all play is richlands and tazewell. Hurley had 14 players and accomplished as much as Grundy. So before u start sayin it is easy to overcome low numbers look at ur alls schedule. All i can say if any team in southwest Va can win with 12 players please msg me and let me no. Congratulations on winning the KY state championship.

Go Dawgs and Go Tornados

To clarify something for you, let me ask you this. Have you ever been to a Grundy game? How many players do you see that step out onto the field? Grundy has at the most 20 players that play in a game. Now if you take a look, without the wide receivers and corners, we have at the most 13 to 14 players that play over 20 snaps the entire game.

Weakest schedule in AA? I'm taking it your from Hurley. Well maybe you should get out from behind the curtain pal. Hurley plays the weakest schedule in Virginia. And most Hurley faithfuls will tell you that. Where in the hell is Unaka, TN at anyway? And Tug Valley? The only teams you play are Haysi and Honaker, which, might have gave Grundy a good game this year. You all would not have been competitive against one team that Grundy played all year. I'm tired of hearing about the numbers. Yes, Hurley should be commended for making the playoffs with 13 or 14 players. They have my full respect for doing that. I think the players that Hurley had at the end of the season are warriors.

And the 4 that came from Hurley, two of them live within the Grundy High School boundary. So wouldn't that make them eligible to play at Grundy High School? Now don't get me wrong, I have nothing against Hurley people, my mom is from Hurley origanally. It is just pretty bad when you get on here saying Grundy has the weakest schedule in AA football. But, congratulations to Hurley, you all accomplished more with lower numbers than any team in the area, and next season, try to get more boys out to play!

All i have to say about Unaka is that they were 9-3 this season. Look up Tennesse football and u will find it.But that seems to me like a pretty good team. And usually Tennessee has good football down there. Hurley just lost 19-0 so they must have hung pretty close.

The Curtain

haha..Piglet, dont even reply to something like that! lol...One of these days the bitterness from across the mountain will stop.

I know a lot of your players and even talk to some of them regularly and they even say that there is no comparison between Grundy and Hurley football. Say what you want about the numbers but they are gonna be like that regardless of what we argue about so take it as it is. Please dont loose all credibility "Curtain" and stop now before you get too deep.

I am not from Hurley or really dont care about them i just hate to see people throw off on a team tryin to play with 14 players. The only question i have if u all are so good and u all may be i dont no why not play quality teams during ur alls none district games. Why all the kentucky teams.

Who was throwing off on them? The statement I made was them playing Powell Valley and those teams is no different from us having to play Carroll County or Richlands?

I didnt question the team or anything to do with the team? You obviously arent from Grundy, and I seriously doubt you saw us play any of the KY teams. If this is so, who are you to say they werent good? If you didnt see us play, who are you to say we arent good?

Stop being a hypocrit and throwing off on us if your gripe is for other people to stop throwing off on other teams. Practice what you preach. Easy enough? grin.gif

I am not saying u all arent good because u all must have been pretty good to beat Tazewell. From information i got the Ky teams u all played was stat games. And from waht i no KY football is pretty weak they are a basketball and baseball state.

Kentuckey football weak? Breathitt county beat powell valley this year. And both Pikeville and Prestonsburg would give any souuthwest virginia team a run for their money. Dont say kentuckey football is weak, they have some good teams. last year when grundy played shelby valley ky. they gave me and the rest of the team more than we could handle in the first half. We ended up winning 37-18 but it was a hard fought win. Kentuckey has some great teams, so get your info straight before you call them weak.

wisecav72

Kentucky, Virginia, West Virginia and Tennessee all have weak and strong teams. No one state is more dominant than the other. Kentucky has a "weak" reputation because Virginia schools tend to play some of the weaker programs. Outside of Powell Valley playing Breathitt County, what does the casual Va. football fan have to go on? Teams like Jenkins, East Ridge, Betsy Layne, Shelby Valley, all of which lose more than they win (the KY schools beat them too!).

Of course, none of the VA schools played teams like Prestonsburg and Pikeville that wisecav72 mentioned. Or how about Belfry, defending State AA Champions who try to make it 2-in-a-row this weekend?