Powell Valley 13, Gate City 7

trumpet1988

Yes they run it, but the main thing you need to do is stop number 32( I think) his name is cook. he is a pretty good runner. We should've beaten them tho, but it wasn't destined to be.

To beat Giles, you have to figure out that damned single wing! grin.gif I don't know what kind of D they have got, but they have been putting up a lot of points this season. They only have two losses that I know of(Blacksburg, and C-burg) C-burg beat them like 42-35 or somewhere in that area, and C-burg was up on Gretna 28-12, so yes, they can keep up with PV. Another thing, PV might have Robbins, but Giles has, in my mind, one of the least mentioned, greatest coaches in VA, Steve Ragsdale.

the single wing is based on power & deception. a defense has to read & heed thier keys to stop it. powell valley's defense handled a very good gate city twice. pv's linebacker corps is one of the best in the state, if thier defensive linemen can keep giles offensive linemen from getting to the backers they can stop the wing.

on offense pv has a qb who has thrown for 3000 yards and 30 tds with only 7 picks this year!! robbins wont / never has stopped throwing. if giles stays in the 50 defense pv will roll big time.

Reading your keys doent always cut it. Stopping Giles is easier said than done. On film it may look easy to do, but their success is all in the blocking. Several pulling linemen, a 220 pound blocking back, and 2 big running backs is quite a load to stop. I aint sayin it cant be done. Just dont underestimate how powerfull this offense is.

Giles has a big line and backs they're slow but block well, probably the slowest team I've ever saw in the playoffs but that freaky wing is hard to defend. Robbins will pick their secondary apart, I believe they were able to touch one thrown ball by Lebanon all day, Miller woulda killed'em from the shotgun if Lebanon would have stayed with what they do best. Giles never did spread they're defense out, kept 8 or 9 in the box but the Lebanon coaches were determined to have a ground game that was'nt there. Giles will score but if Powell Valley can stop the wing once or twice a half the game will easily go Powell Valley's way, Giles can't stop the pass, the only time the pass did'nt work for Lebanon was when Miller was way off target and I believe one batted ball at the line of scrimmage, other than that it was there all day, Robbins may be able to throw for 400 yards..........or more.

Giles is all Ricky Cook #32, thats all their offense is, without him they hardly move the ball, Coach Robbins isnt stupid, he'll watch the game film from Lebanon and he will set a defense to stop Cook and force Giles to throw, and we all know they cant pass that good. If Giles keeps 8 or 9 guys in the box, Robbins will light them up. I mean come on if they couldn't stop Miller from Lebanon, just imagine what kind of numbers Robbins will put up!

This in ways is a lot like the Tazewell v. Gretna set up...Giles plays a type of football that slows the game down and it's not what most people are use to playing...the whole system is frustrating to play against. Even if you burn them deep and score in 2 min....they will come right back and run the ball down your throat and eat up 8 min off the clock...unless they break one. Your LB's get frustrated playing them, your linemen get frustrated playing them...your DB's get frustrated playing them...the single wing is just a frustrating system to defense...the main reason is that it just "looks" different and you only see it around here when you play Giles.

That's why I say...nothing good can come from playing Giles....they are always primed to knock you off no matter how "great" your team is...I think PV will win, but it wouldn't surprise me one bit to see Giles go to state.

Cook is not all Giles has on offense. Where did you get that from? Cook rose to the occasion Saturday and did very well, but people have keyed on him all year long. We have had 3 different fullbacks throughout the year, and the fullback up the middle is usually the killer in the single wing. CJ Hamilton had 99 yards on 12 carries saturday. The wingback, Michael Early, did get shut down pretty good, but he is a big play maker, and also the top reciever. The tight end is a passing threat. If you shut down Cook, something else will open up. Giles may not be full of speed merchants, but they are far from slow. Slow backs dont get big playes like Giles got saturday against Leb.

It wouldn't suprise me a bit to see Giles win state. Look at what kind of scores they have had. PV might get the win, but it won't be easy. Just because of the simple fact that Giles has Ragsdale behind the helm. I'll say it again and again and again, the man is the most underated coach in the area.