UVA turns down bowl

118910fan

bristol paper reported today the uva turned down a bid on the champs bowl, pres. said they would not play in a game that was going to conflict thier final exams. I don't know how to feel about this one, i really respect uva for this, by sending a message to students that academics is still more important than sports, not all of these college players are going to go pro like they might think they are. On the other hand, these guys have worked hard and deserve to play in a good bowl, i look at the schedule and only thing left is like a bowl game in boise idaho. maybe north carolina would like to switch with the cavaliers. I'll leave this with one huge question Mr. President if virginia came in first in the ACC and to play in a BCS bowl, would your decision still be the same? think about that. GO HOOS, GO 89

[ QUOTE ]

They said they'll turn down any bowl that conflicts with student exam finals at Virginia and I applaud them for it. Academics should come before all else including bowl games...

[/ QUOTE ]

Lets see what they would do if it was a 15 million dollar paycheck from a BCS bowl. Wonder what would come first then.

I think w/the season UVA has had this year, that they should have accepted the bid for the Champs sports bowl, i know Tech would have. Im sure the players wouldnt like to bein Idaho like u said instead of Florida, they've had a good season they deserve it.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

They said they'll turn down any bowl that conflicts with student exam finals at Virginia and I applaud them for it. Academics should come before all else including bowl games...

[/ QUOTE ]

Lets see what they would do if it was a 15 million dollar paycheck from a BCS bowl. Wonder what would come first then.

[/ QUOTE ]

A BCS bowl bid wouldn't conflict with their exam schedule. The bowl they turned down would have been played on a Friday on which final exams were still taking place at the school.

This isn't underheard of. A team last year turned down a bowl bid b/c of exams and didn't go to a bowl at all. I forget which team it was, but it was located out west...

[ QUOTE ]

On SI.com....it said that they were working on virginia playing fresno state in the bowl in bosie, idaho Virginia's Bowl Game

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope they do play on "Smurf Turf" They turned down Champs thinking they could steal the Peach from the loser of the VT/Miami game. Even had Swofford making calls to the Peach to persuade them. Luckily the Peach said no.