Bluefield/ Wayne

beaverbaseball

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[ QUOTE ]

I agree with BluefieldRocks, this is a example of the speed we have even on the offensive line

[/ QUOTE ]

I surely can't disagree with you guys...the speed is such an awesome component, as long as you call plays to take advantage of it...hard to run dives at the big boys.

I have always disliked the "fat boys" some of the other local teams seem to use (one just across the state line...LOL). They seem to be out of shape. Matter of fact, one of the former BHS coaches was talking during the Weir game about the big boys...he said that at the HS level, most all of the 300 pounders are fat and slow. He mentioned the Isabelle kid that was about that size that transferred to Princeton. He said that in game prep, they did not even assign anyone to block him, that they simply ran to the other side and left him unblocked, that he was unable to pursue the play at all. He said that he got one tackle when a kid went the wrong way and ran into him.

One thing I have noticed is how STRONG the Bluefield kids are...even the small ones have some great muscles. I like to see that emphasis on strength training.

Freddie was my OL coach a LOOOONG time ago...one thing I liked (well, not at the time) was that he kept pushing the linemen to be in shape. Plenty of hills after practice...reminding us that he wanted to see us driving the defenders in the 4th quarter, while they were sucking wind. That philosophy seems to still be there, that these small fellas are so quick and strong...getting into a defender before he comes out of his stance can neutralize the weight difference.

Well, anyway, I think I'll end my NyQuil-induced ramble. The bed is calling, and I am getting very loopy.

[ QUOTE ]

BeaverHolie: The smaller offensive line allows them to put their bodies in between themselves and the person running the ball. There speed makes up for the size they lack. With the speed and talent of all the Bluefield backs, a second is all that is needed to get through the line and into the secondary.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can agree with that...it's basically an extension of the Merrill Gainer philosophy...all a linemen needs to do is shield his man for two seconds, let the back hit the hole and get through. Also, the speed of those guys let them make contact with the defender before they get a chance to get a lot of leverage.

[ QUOTE ]

Very good point BeaverHokie

Are you going to the game this weekend? I recgonized that you live in Alanta and that would be a really long trip

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope, not going. frown.gif

It's about 6-7 hours just to Bluefield, so the total would be a nice 12 hour trip. My dad doesn't want to go, he's 76, and that cold can be a bit much for him.

One thing that amazes me, though...John Disibbio (Johnny's dad) is turning 90 or 91 at the end of the month, and he still goes to the games. He sits with my dad, and those two amaze me...neither seemed to get cold Saturday. But dad is wanting to stay home on this one...last one he did was in 1997 with me, but then again, I lived in the Charleston area, and he had a good place to crash until the next day.

An interesting bit of news...

As it stood Saturday, the team was going to have to ride school buses up to Wheeling this weekend due to a lack of funds to pay for charter buses. Several great members of the Bluefield football community, including several Dissibbios, scrambled to get donations from several area businesses. Thanks to their great efforts and charity of the community, the team will now be making the trip in two charter buses.

I can see that the people might have came up with some money but i know for a fact that they weren't going to ride up there in school buses no matter what. They have been planning the whole time if they made it to State that they would atleast take 1 charter bus, and maybe the freshman would have to take a school bus! So im guessing that they came up with enough money for 2 charter buses

[ QUOTE ]

Yea i understand you on that! Its gonna be really cold out there and that is a really really long trip.

John Disibbio? My neighbor's are the Disibbio's, They might be related to him!

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh yeah, all the Disibbio's are related. Big John is the dad, he's the guy who is about 90 (and still going to BHS games). His kids were Johnny (who was the BHS principal), Ricky, Benny, and Nancy (who married Kenny Pruett).

Has anyone ever been to the Football Hall of Fame in Cleveland because im going up to Wheeling on friday and saturday after the Martinsburg game me and a couple of my friends are gonna travel up to Cleveland to check out the hall of fame, I was just wondering what it is like and stuff???