Bluefield 69 Wayne 24 FINAL

GMan

[ QUOTE ]

Note: A 41-yard field goal is the state record? That seems short.

[/ QUOTE ]

Record is for a AA state title game.

also from BDT

"Along the way, they tied the record for points scored in a modern-era West Virginia high school championship game. Nitro scored 69 points against Morgantown in 1998. Bluefield broke the Class AA record for points scored - which had been set against BHS by Wyoming East in the 1999 title tilt, a 57-21 win."

Wayne QB Newell also set a AA title game record with 212 yards passing.

12 AA title game records were set.

Congrats to Bluefield on the win, undefeated 14-0, state champs

I sat in Mitchell Stadium one night three years back and watched Eric Degray kick a 44-yard field goal with relative ease.

It does seem short to me, that in the entire history of West Virginia playoffs, the longest field-goal is just 41 yards. That is impressive for a high school kicker, I just figure a 45 to 50 yarder would have been kicked SOMETIME. wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]

I sat in Mitchell Stadium one night three years back and watched Eric Degray kick a 44-yard field goal with relative ease.

It does seem short to me, that in the entire history of West Virginia playoffs, the longest field-goal is just 41 yards. That is impressive for a high school kicker, I just figure a 45 to 50 yarder would have been kicked SOMETIME. wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

From what I saw, it appears Stone does easily have 50 yard range. I saw him kicking 40+ yarders back to the net, so the point that 41 is his long is as much a coaching decision to not take a chance on anything that far away.

He has decent enough range that more college teams are starting to take notice...I understand some more Division I teams are looking.

[ QUOTE ]

#2 - Bluefield has about 75 yards of total offense but has had a short field most of the night.

The reason for that is because of our defense scoring alot of points, i wonder how many points of special teams,and defense scored all together

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Pre-game lucas kicked a field goal from the 40 yard line , im not really sure how long that would be all togather. But it looked as if i was good considering how the crowed at team reacted when he kicked and made it

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, if the ball was placed on the 40 by the holder, that's 50 yards. If the LOS was the 40, the ball would be put down at the 47, and that would be a 57 yard kick.

I don't doubt that Stone has 50+ in him, he seemed to be dinking at the 40 yarders in the Weir warmup..so 10 extra doesn't seem to be that hard for him,

I just wanted to say congratulations to all of the Bluefield players from an '02 senior. I've watched you guys grow and develop since your freshman year, and although there has been some rough spots along the way, every one of you seniors deserve this. You are all very hard working, and more importantly, humble. You have all undoubtedly left your mark on this great program. Best wishes.

[ QUOTE ]

I just wanted to say congratulations to all of the Bluefield players from an '02 senior. I've watched you guys grow and develop since your freshman year, and although there has been some rough spots along the way, every one of you seniors deserve this. You are all very hard working, and more importantly, humble. You have all undoubtedly left your mark on this great program. Best wishes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Y'all know how to make me feel old! grin.gif

To think that these kids were freshmen when you were a senior, and then, that you were only a couple years old when I was a senior at BHS...wow. But the thing is, the pride is indeed passed on from generation to generation. Hopefully, the little kids who have been at the games this year will be able to look with pride when they see the 2004 championship trophy when they are seniors in 10 years or so, just as these young men have looked at the pride of the 1997 team, and the 1984 team before them, and on and on...