Roanoke Times article-Salem/Richlands game

SWVATornado

well...sooner or later it all comes back around...I wish them luck...the guy writing that article took a couple of cheap shots at Richalnds...to bad he can't show the class the Salem fans have shown. Thats what you get from the media once you get past Graham though...typical.

is the former sports editor for the Bristol Herald-Courier. One would think that he would know better.

I'm a bit curious as to whether he would've written that article the same way if he were still employed in Bristol. "Hypocrite" isn't a word to be bandied about lightly IMO, but it sure is bouncing around my head a lot as I consider Mr. Anderson's writing.

[ QUOTE ]

well...sooner or later it all comes back around...I wish them luck...the guy writing that article took a couple of cheap shots at Richalnds...to bad he can't show the class the Salem fans have shown. Thats what you get from the media once you get past Graham though...typical.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the compliment, Lance.

I certainly hope the folks in Richlands realize that Robert Anderson is hack sports writer. Anything to create a controversy. you should see some of the predictions he makes on Fridays about high school games. Always stirring the pot.

Again thanks for realizing Salem fans have class. You people do too. Much more than some of our local opposition.

GO SALEM

GO MULES

[ QUOTE ]

"An all-purpose back, that's what I consider myself," Hairston said.

Salem spread out Richlands' physical defense, often finding Hairston covered by a bigger and slower player.

"They had a defensive end out there in the flats," Hairston said. "Me and a defensive end one-on-one. Who you think's gonna win that matchup?"

[/ QUOTE ]

kinda cocky sounding to me...but then again, who knows what was really said and what the guy decided to print...you never know what you get with the media...they spin it hard sometimes.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Hairston sounds a little phallic.

[/ QUOTE ]

HUH?

GO SALEM

GO MULES

[/ QUOTE ]

he's saying the kid sounds like a dick. grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

He's not. He's a competetor though. His quote in the paper was dead on. I was talking to Coach Carlock from Graham and Coach Miles from Franklin County at the game. They both recognized the mismatch immediately. It wasn't the D-ends fault. He was being asked to do the impossible. I thought he was very athletic for his size and did a good job against the run but to ask a DE to cover a running back is well...... asking toooooo much. The Richlands coach finally realized that but too late.

Andre said something like "they had a DE covering me, who do you think is going to win that matchup"? I don't think he was being cocky he was being realistic.

GO SALEM

GO MULES

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

"An all-purpose back, that's what I consider myself," Hairston said.

Salem spread out Richlands' physical defense, often finding Hairston covered by a bigger and slower player.

"They had a defensive end out there in the flats," Hairston said. "Me and a defensive end one-on-one. Who you think's gonna win that matchup?"

[/ QUOTE ]

kinda cocky sounding to me...but then again, who knows what was really said and what the guy decided to print...you never know what you get with the media...they spin it hard sometimes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, I'm glad you realize that sports writers SPIN.

GO SALEM

GO MULES

true or not, that's on the cocky side either way...but you know...talking to these kids after a big game, they tell you what is on their mind...no biggie...was just saying that's what the guy meant with the "phallic" comment.

He could have said a lot worse...lol.