2004-2005 BASKETBALL RULES/POINT OF EMPHASIS

OFISHE8

Just a reminder to fans and players about the updated rules for girls and boys basketball for the 2004-2005 season. The main rule change is the closely guarded rule. The five second count will begin when the defensive player is wihtin six feet of the player with ball. Flopping/faking fouls is also a point of emphasis which will result in a technical foul. Make sure there is contact prior to flopping or faking. Also, undershirt sleeves must be hemmed and each sleeve must be the same length. Undershirts must be the same color as the predominant color of the jersey being worn that particular game. "LIVESTRONG" bracelets are not to be worn during a game and all knee braces with exposed metal hinges must be covered with a protective sleeve and cover!!

Also, you fans need to watch and see if the coaches get outside the coaching box this year. The boundaries have changed and I hear that officials are going to crack down on them being outside the box(esp. if they are challenging a call!!)

the one thing i dont get is: Why call a technical for trying to draw the charge? i think that is stupid, i was told by a ref earlier in the year, but it dont make lots of sense. i will see at Grundy's game tonight and dont forget JV plays at 6:00 and Varsity plays at 7:00

All I can figure is this: I think the VHSL and National Federation want to cut out the flopping because of the way it entices and excites the crowd. That maybe a player that flops might get coaches, players, and officials excited and/or mad. I have seen a couple of players flop this year and it was not called. We will probably see a lot more blocking calls as opposed to a technical I believe.

I don't agree with a technical for flopping either. That's taking away an advantage from the defense. It may look stupid but if it is done correctly can be effective. And now it will give the offensive team a sure lay-up. And how are the refs suppose to determine what is a true charge, blocking foul, or flop? And what happens if it is true charge or a true blocking foul and the ref calls a flop? I personally think that the refs around this region call bad calls on idividuals that they don't like.

I think that the refs in the games are only for the team that everyone wants to see get beat. Last night at the Virginia High girl's varsity game, there were unbelievable fouls from the other team that could be seen from anywhere in the gym. I understand that it is hard to watch every player and the moves but when it is noticeable to everyone in the stands, then call it.

they keep making rules and the officials can not keep up with the old ones. if they would concern themself with the play on the court and stop watching the coach to see if he is in the box or out of the box. too many have rabbit ears and want to make sure they are in control of the coach instead of the game.

lame...

they should just cancel all sports if that's the way it is...and pad all the walls of the school...and move everything to the first floor....god forbid someone trip going up or down the stairs ya know?