The future of Bluefield?

Beaver_Pride

McClanahan seems like a very heady and football savvy player, especially to be only a freshman. Of course, he'll have his ups and downs next year, but the only thing he lacks is experience. He also seems to have very good speed and as such will add another dimension to the Bluefield offense.

Bluefield will miss many of the current seniors next year, but IMO, and call me crazy, the player that will be missed most will be Lucas Stone. Stone's kicking has been the difference over the past three years in many of the close games. Not many high school teams have a kicker capable of putting kickoffs in the endzone on a regular basis, hitting 50+ yard punts with hang-time, and hitting 40+ yard field goals.

Call me crazy

he should have been mvp for the whole season

he's the reason we beat martinsburg, mt. view, and weir. Without his extra point against wier we wouldnt have won a championship.........Not to trash rusty in any way but lucas deservs player of the year for bhs

[ QUOTE ]

UVA: The Bluefield line may be one of the strongest aspects for the beavers in the upsoming season. Allen Carter, Ryan Albert, Allen Collins, Travis Steptoe, and Jeff Hutchinson are all big and pretty fast. After practice, Allen Carter and Jeff Hutchinson run hills while others run in, this to me shows alot of heart and determination to be better. This line combination mixed with the help of some skill players should boost Bluefield to another pretty sucessful season.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a decent sized line. Going by the 2004 program...

Carter, 6'2" 253

Albert, 5'10" 189

Collins, 6'0" 198

Steptoe, 5'11" 228

Hutchinson, 6'1" 253

Certainly not the biggest Bluefield line, but if they're strong, and Freddie uses a proper scheme, those guys can be effective.

[ QUOTE ]

Trust me if you ever see allen carter he will never strike you as little. This boy is huge. I think he's maybe 6'1 270, thats just a guess. but he's not little guy

The only little guy we'll have on our line will be allen collins our center, and he's pretty tall also. Just not as big as our other linemen.Im more worried about our QB situation to be honest with you

[/ QUOTE ]

I think there is a practical limit on using big kids on the line. A former BHS coach said that (and I tend to agree) most of the 300 lb kids you see in high school are big, slow, and not worth the effort.

For example, there is a lineman who transferred from Bluefield to Princeton a few years ago...he has a famous last name. The former BHS coach said their game plan was to simply run away from this kid, and not even block him. He wasn't fast enough to do anything from the back side of the play. He only got one tackle in the game, when a kid ran the wrong way.

There are a few amazingly talended guys in the 280-300 lb range, but I do agree that a majority are just big, not necessarily strong or fast.

So if the BHS line has one or two guys in the 250-270 range, and they're known to be strong and able to run, that's not too shabby.

I notice all the lines getting smaller and smaller, or it may be me getting larger and fatter, who knows? laugh.gif

250-pound lineman are a good benefit, however the other lineman I saw on the roster peaked at around 210 pounds. With the smaller lines, this would not be much of a problem. However, if you get a 240-pound defensive tackle that hits hard, your inside running game is dead. That is why I am concerned for Bluefield. You all may not be, but I am. Simon will have them as ready as he possibly can, and I am sure of it.

Martinsburg's defensive line this year averaged 300 lbs. and Bluefield ran the ball down their throat, especially late in the game. Size doesn't matter as much as your ability to block and know your assignment. With speed like Bluefield has the OL doesn't have to hold their blocks very long and most of the blocking done is done so by pull blocking.

The season's over the past decade that Bluefield has done well they had a good OL and DL, the years they didn't do well the OL and DL weren't very good. That'll be the case next year as well, Bluefield will go as far as the OL can block and the DL can penetrate.

There is some validity to the "too big to move" point. The Denver Broncos are a great example of this. Mike Shanahan has the smallest offensive line in the NFL, but allowed Terrell Davis, Clinton Portis, and now Reuben Droughns to prosper in that system. I think the optimum size in high school is about 270, UNLESS you have that special guy who can just move them at 300 pounds.

Experience is also key, and again, I am concerned for Bluefield.

Im not talking a lack of expirance, im talking about a lack of running backs from what we've had the past couple of years, insted of letting 2 or 3 people carry the ball during the game we only have 1 or 2, and im saying that it will wear the running backs down and make them tired and lack of backups and lack of some expirance will make them fold where it counts the most

This years senior class will be missed, but maybe if we can have some middle school talent step up or some transfers(rumors) next year not to say that this years underclassmen won't be competetive, because I know they will be, but having talent step up or a transfer here and there always helps.

[ QUOTE ]

I notice all the lines getting smaller and smaller, or it may be me getting larger and fatter, who knows? laugh.gif

250-pound lineman are a good benefit, however the other lineman I saw on the roster peaked at around 210 pounds. With the smaller lines, this would not be much of a problem. However, if you get a 240-pound defensive tackle that hits hard, your inside running game is dead. That is why I am concerned for Bluefield. You all may not be, but I am. Simon will have them as ready as he possibly can, and I am sure of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Having a "smaller" offensive line does require some good game planning. You're generally right that you can't run power-I down their throats all night, with the offensive linemen toe-to-toe. But you can run linemen at some decent splits, and run traps and sweeps. With the good splits, you can even run dives...just requires doubling up on the right defenders, making a quick block, and making sure the runner hits the hole fast.

This thread has become the embodiment of a circular argument.

I'd prefer to go 2-8 with our own homegrown players rather than 9-1/8-2/etc with a bunch of players who transferred. A transfer is ok every now and then (Repass) but Bluefield has always had success with their own players and I'd prefer if they'd keep it like that. It has worked up to this point.

"I'd prefer to go 2-8 with our own homegrown players rather than 9-1/8-2/etc with a bunch of players who transferred."

Granted, and overall I agree, but bluefield is owed a number of transfers at this point, so until that evens out I won't complain myself. More than anything though what I'd prefer is for bluefield's players not transfer to play elsewhere anymore, after they're in high school or particularly earlier.

It would be a big advantage itself if "all" of bluefield's youths on the wv side would look forward to being bluefield beavers.

That said, I doubt even without transfers that bluefield would be 2 - 8 in '05 as they were in '01, that was simply an unorthodox season with only very few seniors and jr.'s combined. That season bluefield seemed more common to a jv team with a few upperclassmen playing.

Any ideas on what teams bluefield might schedule in place of beckley, martinsburg, and lee high?

Unlike the previous two years, I'm sure Beaver will have teams lining up to play them next season b/c of their losses to graduation and precevied "rebuilding" year. If you want to play Beaver in what will likely be a "down year" then have the balls to also play them when they're loaded like the past two years.

Don't be surprized if westside is on their schedule in '05, not suggesting that based on what you wrote about when a team schedules bluefield, which I agree with, just an idea I have.

Also when is that consolidated school in mcdowell county's 1st year? What is that, homer hickam high?