Utah Utes

rhsfan88

Not only are they the first team from outside a BCS conference to make it to a BCS game, they get there and destroy Pittsburgh 35-7. Even though it was just Pitt, i think that the Utes could hang tough with anybody in the nation.

I just wish they could have gotten the chance to play the likes of Texas,Auburn,Michigan, or VA Tech in their bowl game.

Yea they were sum pretty awsome plays that i bet you'lll be seein down in Gainsville next year, but the news ppl were right about Pitt, they didnt deserve to be in a BCS bowl game cause they just couldnt get it together this year.

I disagree Rules. I don't think ANY Big East team deserved a BCS slot and I don't think VT deserves a BCS slot. They should take the top eight teams period, trash the conferences, and have a playoff. Then we would REALLY know who the best team was. Until then the Utah's, Boise State's, and Auburn's will always wonder "What If".

Tech deserves to be in there more than any Big east team tho but its life and tech won the ACC outright,beating 3 supposedly "contenders" for the national championship at the beginning being WVU, UVA was and then Miami.,

The Big East does not deserve a bid this year, but it shouldn't be taken away. Louisville was very good this year and returns almost everybody when they join the Big East next year. IMO opinion the Big East won't be down every year as some of you ACC supporters wish for. Like it or not WVU has spanked this years ACC Champ 2 out of the last 3 years. Prediction: 37-13 Auburn.

[ QUOTE ]

Like it or not WVU has spanked this years ACC Champ 2 out of the last 3 years. Prediction: 37-13 Auburn.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure what the point is there beaverball. If you've watched VT at any point this year then you can agree this year's team is light years ahead of the previous two years, especially in-terms of chemistry and attitude. If those teams fell behind in a game, most of the time they folded like paper. This year's team when it has fallen behind has seemed to become stronger. The VT teams of the two previous years wouldn't have finished .500 in the ACC.

Further, to be quite honest I don't care how the Big East performs anymore. I have no ill-will toward the league what-so-ever, I wish them the best in the future. However, they better find a program to carry the football banner soon or else that league is going to fall hard. I honestly believe Pittsburgh, with Wannstedt as coach, is the Big East's best hope.

Not really making a point I guess rules. I guess I'm just trying to say alot of VT fans get on this board and other boards and say the Big East will be lost without THEM. I have never really understood that as IMO Miami was the cream of the crop in the Big East. VT had 2 good years with Vick and that's about it. I don't really remember them being a traditional power as some VT fans think. Just my opinion though.

As I said in an earlier post though I give VT loads of credit the way they have plyed this year. I still say the ACC should have taken Pittsburg instead of BC. Pittsburg would be no pushover in football and be real competitive in basketball. Again though, my opinion.

The majority of VT fans don't feel the Big East will be lost without them alone, but the losses of VT, Miami, and now Boston College is a serious blow to Big East football. Most logic and realistic Big East football fans know that as truth. You cannot lose the likes of those three still be alright when your remaining schools are struggling. Those three have proven to be consistent winners over the years, especially since the beginning of the Big East.

VT had a successful program long before Michael Vick arrived on campus. They were winning 10+ games a year and going to big-time bowls well before Vick. No doubt though, Vick did a lot to put them more on the national stage with his unbelieveable talent. He brought the focus to the doorstep in Blacksburg, but the program was strong prior to the focus being brought.

After I made that post I realized I had forgotten about the likes of Drunkenmiller(sp)and company.( I still can't believe he didn't make it in the NFL) But most of those seasons were comparable with WVU's and WVU is certainly no power. Most of those seasons were 8 to 9 win seasons in which WVU has had plenty of. IMO the ACC was down this year with the likes of Miami, Florida St, NC State, and Maryland having sub-par years. I will say though, Vt should be even better than they were this year with the underclassmen they have, of course that is if the chemistry is right.

As for my prediction, I think the worst thing that could have happened to Tech is the long layoff, they seemed to get on a roll after the WVU win and got a little better each week(especially offensively). IMO the long layoff will show tommorow night. This team reminds me alot of the WVU team of last year. They got better every week and got torched by Maryland in the bowl game.

An off topic question for you: Did you get in grad school? If so, can we expect for you to be a regular on the boards come fb season again.

I do not wish to see the BE falter. I like every school in the conference except WVU...and they used to be the BE opponent I liked most...kind of funny how having terrible things wished upon you over something you had nothing to do with will change your opinion of a fan base.

Losing VT is not what doomed the BE...losing Miami did. Had VT stayed behind they would be doomed also. Miami made the Big East. Frank Beamer has built a strong program that dominates recruiting in the state of Virginia, but without playing (and often beating) Miami they would not recruit as well.

Michael Vick is the biggest star to ever play at Tech but he did not put them on the map. Frank Beamer did that. He came to Virginia Tech and recruited players that most people didn't want and taught them to play football. He installed radical schemes that most people hadn't seen and he emphasized special teams as a way of winning games. The Hokies wrote their name on "The Map" December 1st, 1995 when they beat Texas 28-10 in game they "Didn't deserve to be in", and they made the ink dry a year later when they gave powerhouse Nebraska all they could handle (before succumbing to superior depth) in a game that my friend Ken Oxendine set an Orange Bowl rushing record. In 1998 they trashed Alabama just one year before they won the mighty SEC. Michael Vick held the clipboard in that game.

Of the reaming Big East teams only Pittsburgh plays in a state with a strong recruiting base (well South Florida does). The rest do not have enough in-state talent to compete. Even Louisville will not be able to maintain the success they had this year...not consistently.

Personally, I though WVU should have been invited to the ACC. I was and still am against having BC way up there by themselves, and as I said before, I (along with many other Hokies) was on WVU's side...but that was before so many of their fans sat on Santa's lap and wished for death to me and my family members.

I believe the month off helped Tech. Yes, it hurt the momentum they had built, but the lay-off also hurt the same momentum Auburn had built. Beamer and his staff seem to do very well the more time they have to prepare for a game, see the USC game. If this was a regular season game with only a week to prepare I’d say Auburn without a doubt, but a month to prepare for the game will aid Tech.

I won't know about grad school until the March or April. I'll probably still post some, but I won't be the "main stay" I have been. I will only get to see one or two Bluefield games next year b/c I'll be moving away from Bluefield regardless.

hey BigD4VT. That might be the post of this thread. It makes alot of sense. I especially like the last sentence. Lmao. I could actually pull for Tech if other Tech fans had the common sense that you and Rules do.

[ QUOTE ]

I disagree Rules. I don't think ANY Big East team deserved a BCS slot and I don't think VT deserves a BCS slot. They should take the top eight teams period, trash the conferences, and have a playoff. Then we would REALLY know who the best team was. Until then the Utah's, Boise State's, and Auburn's will always wonder "What If".

[/ QUOTE ]

Current BCS Standings

1) USC

2) Oklahoma

3) Auburn

4) Texas

5) California

6) Utah

7) Georgia

8) Virginia Tech

[ QUOTE ]

hey BigD4VT. That might be the post of this thread. It makes alot of sense. I especially like the last sentence. Lmao. I could actually pull for Tech if other Tech fans had the common sense that you and Rules do.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are plenty of sensible Hokie fans AND plenty of sensible WVU fans...but a few from each side make the rest look bad.

my bad, I thought Tech was 9th in the BCS. I can't honestly say I hope Tech wins tonight but I hope it turns out to be a good game to watch. I still think there needs to be a playoff. After watching Utah and Auburn this year they are as good if not better than anyone. The national championship game could be held the off week between the conference championships and the Super Bowl.

WV's high school playoff system is the best I've seen thus far. It's based on strength of schedule, and size of school. They could classify each school in an A to AAA format. This would stop certain schools that play 1AA teams. If the conferences were done away with than each team could play whomever they wanted and not have to worry about playing so many conference games each year. I can see quite a few interesting matchups that we would not normally get to see unless it was in a bowl game that is called the national championship game.

It will be a great game. These two teams are closer than people think. The team stats are almost identical and I think VT has the better defense. If they stop the run they win.

I like the WV playoff system too. I'd like to see it in Virginia, but college football will never do away with conferences. There is just too much tradition involved...not to mention $$$