Talk of Hurley and Grundy being combined

Guest BB_TWEEDER

Guest BB_TWEEDER

The word is that Hurley/Grundy will be combined in 3-5 years. Think of Football team that would come if Hurley and Grundy was combined!!! Grundy is already a contender and Hurley is taking the steps back to a possible BDD championship if the boys (Including myself) are willing to work for it.And trust me we are. To have Grundy's and Hurley's athletes in the same school together would make a hell of a team, but my personal opionion about it is I hope it is after I graduate so I can graduate as a Hurley Rebel.

The contending could happen if you all combined with Grundy could happen. Not saying it won't but when Jonesville, Pennington, St. Charles, Dryden and Karaoke High Schools combined and made it into Lee High School everybody thought the Generals would basically be the stuff. Turns out that team is pathetic.

I haven't heard any rumor of this, but I would say the inevitable will happen within the next 10 years. I don't know what kind of ball team this would produce, as the Middle School programs seem to be down this year, but Buchanan County always has its athletes. If the numbers keep on declining, I give it 10 years.

won't affect Grundy at all...just Hurley...for Grundy nothing will change really...they already pick up anyone thats good in football...lmao.

j/k..

seriously though...they may send the Hurley kids over to Grundy High at some point...wouldn't be a big deal really for Grundy...they might pick up a few starters...Hurley kids alwyas seem to be pretty tall for some reason...so that might help them in WR, TE, and DB positions...and possibly at QB down the road...if anything I think it would be an advantage for the Hurley kids to be on a bigger team and also have access to Grundy's equipment and coaching staff...assuming that the same coaches or at least the core are still involved...win-win for everyone as far as football goes I think...although it's sad to see a program that has a long history like Hurley does come to an end...kinda like when Twin Valley came in to existance...there was a lot of history at Garden that just didn't exist one day...as long as they don't try to do something lame like rename Grundy High to Riverview High or some ignorant crap like that...I don't think people from Grundy would bitch to much about a merger.

If there is a merger, there will be a good portion of kids who go to Hurley who might not be going to a combined Grundy/Hurley school. Some kids who attend Hurley High ride on a bus for over an hour just to get there. It would be closer for many of these kids to go to Phelps.

Truth be known, by the time this comes to pass, a combined school in the years to come will probably be smaller than Grundy currently is.

Grundy has their biggest class in years now in 9th grade...I expect as downtown evolves the numbers will go up...considering the Hurley factor if combined I would bet they would have a nice legit AA size school.

Grundy's football program in the lower levels from 4th grade - 8th grade needs some work though...and fast...or else you are going to see a drop off in a few years. frown.gif

There will have to be some subdivision development happen in the Grundy area or otherwise, where will all of these people live that could potentially send kids to the high school?

I do not doubt that the "new" Grundy will allow for these possibilities, but people have to have places to live and places to work. As of right now, the current redevelopment is going to help the lower to middle class most. Still yet, is it going to bring in jobs that people out of Grundy will move to Grundy to get? If yes, where are these people going to live? Apartment complexes are springing up everywhere to accomodate the increasing # of law students. Throw in the forthcoming pharmacy school, and there is even less housing opportunities (existing ones) for people to move here.

There will have to be some subdivision work done, creating mass housing and apartment complexes. When the issue will come up (or has it already?), I don't know. I do expect it to be an issue, one that won't be easily solved. The mountains are littered with gas wells and pipe lines, and nearly every vacant piece of mountain is currently being strip mined or in the process of it.

Its interesting to say the least...

Grundy seems to be on the right track...for as much flack as they have caught for moving the town, I think it's the best thing to happen there...and it will be a nice place when finished and nothing lost but some junky old buildings. There has been a lot of people in the county in the past, they all lived somewhere...as the population grows you should see more developement start to pop up...you know there are a few that won't miss a chance to make a buck...they seem to be doing a lot of the right things to me...should be ok. They won't just pop up overnight with new subdivisions, but you'll see things start to show up...probably more so in apartments than anything else for the students...some of the old houses will probably be torn down and used for this purpose in the area...stuff like that...I think 10 years from now Grundy will be a very nice place to live.

I doubt they would change the Grundy High name...if so that would piss a lot of people off. When FC split up, they didn't rename Mahna Vista...lol...so who knows...it's years away and bot worth worrying about at this point...might not even happen at all...so..whatever.

Whatever happened to closing Council? Heard a lot about it a couple years back, but nothing ever happened. Why did they want to close Council for? Wouldn't it have made more sense to have just closed Garden and Whitewood and sent those kids to Grundy instead of consolidating the two schools?