VHS basketball

VThokie

It is hard for me to comprehend what is going on with VHS varsity boys basketball. They have 5 seniors returning and one senior who transferred from another school. They have the talent to compete with anyone on their schedule but yet they stand 3 and 7 with 6 straight losses. They lost two district games last week at home to Marion and Lee and both games led going into the fourth quarter but yet you look and in the fourth quarter he has freshman and sophomores playing and even so does not allow the kids to get into any kind of rythmn without pulling them out of the game. Friday against Lee, the fourth quarter consisted of McClanahan, Triplett, Barb, Stevens, sitting on the bench. That is probably 4 of their better players so it looks like to me the name of the game is to out score your opponent. Word had it this year that VHS would make the playoffs, it doen't look like they will win a district game. I agree, with the talent that is on this team and the senior leadership that they should make the playoffs but with the current system in hand, they may not win another game. I would like someone else's perspective on this who has seen VHS play this year.

I really do not know what Coach Mitchell is trying to do with the team. It seems like everygame we are winning at the half and several times we were winning going into the fourth. Then Mitchell puts in the freshmen Randy White and few of the sophomores and sits Mcclahan, Tripplet and Barb, who are 3 of the five people who should be starting. Sure White is 6'5 but he definately does not have the skills yet to play varisty basketball. One of the sophomores CJ Tillie is a great player and deserves to be in the game but the others do not not need to be in over the senior players and the junior, Tripplet.

This is one of the most talented teams we have had and Mitchell is doing nothing with them. Its so obvicious who he should start but every game he changes the starting lineup. I really think that the people at VHS need to think about finding a new basketball coach unless things improve by seasons end. I know this is only Mitchell's 2nd year but he has done NOTHING to improve this team and I know that many of the players are not happy with him as the coach.

WHAT I UNDERSTAND IS THAT THESE SENIORS MISSED ALOT PRACTICES DURING XMAS BREAK AND DIDN'T WORK VERY HARD DURING THE SUMMER OR THIS FALL. HAVE YOU REALLY WATCHED THESE GUYS PLAY BASKETBALL. THEY DO NOT PLAY DEFENSE AND DO NOT WORK VERY HARD. THEY DO NOT PLAY AS A TEAM. THEY MAKE COUNTLESS TURNOVERS. JUST BECAUSE YOU ARE A SENIOR IT DOES NOT MEAN YOU GET TO PLAY. YOU HAVE TO EARN PLAYIING TIME. WHY WOULD YOU PLAY A SENIOR THAT WAS MAKING FRESHMAN AND SOPHOMORE MISTAKES, WHY NOT PLAY THE FRESHMAN AND SOPHOMORE THEN YOU CAN JUSTIFY THOSE MISTAKES AND THEY CAN GET BETTER FOR THE NEXT COUPLE OF YEARS. COACH MITCHELL DOES AN EXCELLENT JOB. YOU MUST WORK IN THE OFF SEASON TO GET BETTER THESE KIDS HAVE NOT GOTTEN ANY BETTER IN FOUR YEARS. MAYBE IT IS NOT THE KIDS BUT LET'S BLAME THE COACH FOR KIDS MISSING PRACTICE TO GO TO A FOOTBALL GAME, CONCERT, SWIMMMING ETC... SO LETS BLAME THE COACH

It sounds like VA High is having the same problems that Richlands is having. We are not winning so we start pointing fingers. the coach is always the easiest target.I agree with VCATS in that the players are responsible for the game. If you work hard in the off season then the in season will take care of itself. You get out of something what you put into it. You have your priorities, what is important? Swimming, hanging out at the mall, keeping the road hot or working out trying to get better?

These kids did miss practice and were punished by running 20 laps; however, a sophomore missed practice without letting the coach know and he started and played most of the game. As far as dedication goes, these seniors went to every open gym, every camp, every scrimmage, and have been dedicated to this program through Coach Lee and now Coach Mitchell. I guarantee if these seniors were starting along with Triplett then they would have maybe lost one or two games at best. So, again, you can point fingers, but it starts with the Coach and as far as the dedication goes to the program. I for a fact know that these seniors have busted their butts to finally have a winning season. But that is hard to do sitting on the bench. The players are frustrated along with the fans. As far as the turnovers goes, if they were left in their longer than 3 minutes at a time to get some cohesiveness between the players then maybe that would not happen. That goes for the underclassmen as well. Leave the kids in there long enough to get used to playing with each other. Plus, if you make a mistake, DO NOT pull the kid out after the mistake. These boys are constantly looking over their shoulers and are scared to play the way they are capable because they know if they mess up, out they come, to maybe not play the rest of the game. this team is to talented to not be winning ball games.

DEDICATION!!!!!!! SEVERAL PEOPLE SAW HOW SERIOUS THOSE SENIORS WERE THE OTHER NIGHT SITTING AT THE END OF THE BENCH TALKING WITH THE CHEERLEADERS LAUGHING AT MISSED SHOTS AND MISTAKES BY THEIR TEAM. YEAH! THOSE GUYS ARE DEDICATED. THE THREE MINUTES THEY ARE IN THE GAME THEY HAD BETTER GET THINGS DONE AND NOT MAKE THE FRESHMAN MISTAKES. THEY HAVE NO TALENT ONLY IN THEIR AND PARENTS MIND. THE UNDERCLASSMEN WORKED ALOT HARDER THAN THE UPPERCLASSMEN DURING THE OFF SEASON. THEY ARE WEAK AND SLOW. QUIT MAKING EXCUSES AND GET THE JOB DONE.

This coming from someone who probably doesn't even play basketball. I could take those seniors and produce a winning team. Yes, the parents, fans, except you of course, know these kids have talent. And it is not right for you to bad mouth them. If and I mean if you actually play sports I bet you would not like it if someone bad mouthed you and said you had no talent. So, lets keep it civil and not bad mouth these kids or keep your comments to yourself. I, for a fact, have known these kids since grade school and they have played together ever since then. They were winners on AAU teams together and in middle school but once they got to high school........hmmmmmmm. I guess the dedication just left them right? I don't think so. I believe it is more than that. Either the coach cannot get it out of them or what but it is definetly something. I am just looking for answers as to why this team has all of this talent and can produce only 3 wins so far this year and a total of 10 wins in two years. The team last year had talent and senior leadership but could not produce victories but I guess T.J. Slagle and company were not dedicated last year either. Must be a senior thing.

NO, JUST MOST OF THESE SENIORS. I THINK IT WAS WHITE AND HURT WHO MADE THE DIFFERENCE IN LAST NIGHTS GAME. WHEN THEY TOOK THE SENIORS OUT THAT IS WHEN VHS TO THE 10 POINT LEAD. WAY TO MANY TURNOVERS BY THE GREAT SENIOR CLASS.

White and Hurt. You must have seen a different game. Granted White played a good game. He should be starting over Pete. I have said that all along. But Triplett had the best game and everyone on the court had turnovers, that is part of the game. McClanahan only had one turnover the whole game but of course he did not play the fourth quarter. Most of the turnovers from the seniors comes from Pete and Shankel but they play more than any of the other seniors. C.J. Tillie hardly played last night, maybe 3 minutes at most so what is the deal with that? I just do not understand Coach Mitchell's philosophy as to who plays and who needs to be out on the court. My point is, the object is to outscore the opponents and win and everyone is going to make mistakes just coach them and learn from them. Even the million dollar a game pros make mistakes. Everyone makes mistakes, including you and I, we just need to learn from them. The only thing I figured out from last nights game is that Richlands basketball program is in worse shape than ours.

Question, why do you have a burr in your butt over the seniors on the basketball team? Are you an underclassmen, teacher, coach or what? again, no need to bad mouth only the seniors. Everyone on that team last night had turnovers.

Congradulations to the VA High girls and boys on their victories last night! I also want to congradulate their coaches for having to put up with the crap that they put up with! The boys won and still someone has to question the coaches decisions. I think the coach should give back the $1,000 that he gets paid to coach.

I agree in terms of the players in any sport have to have off season dedication and work ethic to get better. But the coach must lead, there must be a game plan that if executed by the players gives the team a chance to win, the plan must at times change based on what the game situation dictates. In the case of Richlands I am not sure that we ever start with a plan. Against VA High to my knowledge we ran one set play during the whole game. Most high schools players are not able to create a shot off the dribble everytime on the offensive end, that is what you must do at Richlands. Richlands has way to much talent to be 2-10. Last night #12 was having a good game from the offense side, 11 points in the first half. After that he does not enter the game again until the 1 minute mark left in the third quarter. This could happen with any player anytime under this program. There is never a pick or a screen set for any player at anytime, there again, most kids in high school will not create shoots or very good shoots off the dribble. I agree the team has many turnovers, but some of these are created by the lack of any half court offense. When will this change at Richlands. I am not trying to be unfair to any coach, Richlands or others, but where is the fairness to the players that practice day in and day out and have no real game directions or support off the bench from the coach. Basketball is like any sport we need work and dedication from both the players and the coach, and for the moment in Richlands we are not getting that from the coach. Things need to change.

I AM A V CAT FAN AND I AM TIRED OF LISTENING TO PARENTS MAKING EXCUES FOR THEIR KIDS. ITS THE SAME THING FOR THE KIDS AT VA HIGH THEY ALWAYS MAKE EXCUSES FOR NOT GETTING PLAYING TIME OR NOT WORKING OUT. THAT IS WHY VA HIGH CAN NOT WIN ON A REGULAR BASIS. THEY WON'T TO GET TO THE TOP OF THE MOUNTAIN BUT THEY DO NOT WANT TO CLIMB THE MOUNTAIN THEY WANT TO BE LET OFF AT THE TOP. WE DO NOT HAVE THE TALENT TO BE LET OFF THE TOP.

I agree, #12 for you guys was having an awesome first half and like you said never returned until the end of the third quarter. After that, he never got back into a rythmn. That is what I do not understand as to why a coach would pull a kid and sit him when he is playing well and having a good game. The same happens at VHS and I am sure other schools. It just makes no sense. If there was reason behind their decisons sometimes maybe it would be easier to understand.

ALRIGHT VCATS, I CAN TYPE IN ALL CAPS TOO, YOU WANT TO GET SMART AND SAY "LETS BLAME THE COACH" WELL YEAH, LET'S BLAME THE COACH... SINCE THE GREAT DOUG MITCHELL HAS BEEN AT VIRGINIA HIGH, WHAT HAS HE ACCOMPLISHED?, ELEVEN WINS IN TWO SEASONS SO FAR, WOOOOOOOOW, LOOK AT THE TALENT THAT VIRGINIA HIGH HAS TO OFFER THIS YEAR AND LAST YEAR, THE BEST THAT THEY'VE HAD IN YEARS, AND ANYONE WILL BACK ME UP ON THAT, THIS "EXCELLENT" COACH DOES NOT EVEN PLAY HIS BEST PLAYERS (SENIORS) AND THEN HE CRIES WHEN SOME OF THE PARENTS COMPLAIN TO HIM, THE "ONE AND ONLY" MITCHELL COMPLAINS ABOUT THE SENIORS MISSING PRACTICE AND NOT HAVING LEADERSHIP, HOW CAN THEY HAVE LEADERSHIP IF THEY DON'T GET A CHANCE TO PLAY?????? AND WHEN THEY DO PLAY...IF THEY DON'T MEET THE "RULES" "3 PASS BALL REVERSAL AND THROW IT TO THE POST" OR SOME S*** LIKE THAT, THEY COME OUT OF THE GAME...IF THEY DON'T MEET THOSE RULES AND SHOOT BEFORE THAT OCCURS..THAT'S NOT MAKING MITCHELL HAPPY SO THEY COME OUT...I HOPE VCATS IS COACH MITCHELL OR SOMEONE RELATED TO HIM BECAUSE I WANT HIM TO READ THIS... IF THIS IS COACH MITCHELL. YOU ARE THE WORST COACH IN THE HISTORY OF THE SPORT OF BASKETBALL.. NAISMITH IS PROBABLY ROLLING OVER IN HIS GRAVE RIGHT NOW SAYING WHAT IN GOD'S NAME HAVE I DONE... AND IN ONE OF YOUR POSTS YOU SAID THAT PLAYERS MISS FOR FOOTBALL GAMES AND CONCERTS OR STUFF LIKE THAT....OHHH HOW SAD...THE PLAYERS HAVE ANOTHER LIFE...SO LETS PUNISH THEM AND MAKE THEM RUN...BUT YET THE "ONE AND ONLY" CAN MISS PRACTICE BECAUSE HE'S TIRED OR MISS BECAUSE HE HAS STUFF TO TAKE CARE OF AT THE HOUSE...BUT YET HE DOESN'T GET PUNISHED OR HAVE TO RUN..BUT OH I FORGOT...THOSE ARE VALID EXCUSES....SO IF I OFFENDED THE WONDERFUL COACH MITCHELL ...GOOD

listen here, day after monday, if you know so much about how things should go then you apply for the job. the only way the kids will respect the coach is if the parents respect the coach. if seniors want to show leadership, they need to respect the coach and lead by example not by mouth. i think that vcats knows a little about sports and how the team concept is supposed to be unlike some of these people that just want to bash the coach. if you dont like the coach or like watching the team, then stay at home. the kids need positive feedback from their peers, parents and fans in order to become overcomers. at the end of the year would be a good time for you to voice your concerns. the coach and players had enough heart to beat richlands didn't they? did your football team beat richlands? did you bash him as well? what are we teaching our kids if we don't teach them to obey the rules? in life, if you are on the job and don't obey the rules you get fired. the same is true in school or in sports, obey the rules or suffer the consequences. Thanks again to coach mitchell for leading our kids and being a positive role model for our children.

I agree with blues 88,its time we started talking positive to these kids they are going to repeat what they hear.If moms and dads tells them the coach is no good thats what they believe,but keep in mind that these coaches also teach your children in the class room.So moms and dads do you also tell them they cannot teach? Its time to wake up let the coaches and teachers be themselfs and do their jobs.And mommys and daddys be mommys and daddys.Even if your child comes home crying that he or she is not getting to play,tell them to earn it and they can play. (CRY BABYS)

Pretty close the entire game. VHS pulled away in the fourth. Brad Mcclahan lead VHS with 15 points. By the way, can anyone tell me what happened to that Tyler Patrick who played for Hoanokerlast season. I heard he is injured but I also heard he just didnt want to play for this team. Can someone tell me whats true?

Its pretty much both things. He broke his wrist about halfway through football season and played the rest of the season with it broken. He had to get a cast put on a couple weeks after football season ended and wear it for 6 weeks. Plus he just doesn't really have anymore desire to play basketball, which kinda sucks for Honaker because he is easily the best player in Region D when he's healthy(he was benched almost all last season with a back injury).