Union/Gate City

94 APPY DAWG

Congrats to the Blue Devils and i hope Herron  has a speedy recovery. Did he fall after the game or at halftime because i know no one from union hit him or anyone else hard enough to give him a concussion. IMHO i think union at best may win one more game if they are lucky.Good luck the rest of the season to the Devils hope yall can ride it deep into the playoffs and maybe even to a semi or state game

He'd miss 5 weeks for a concussion? I thought it was his shoulder again.

It was his shoulder.

Quote from BHC. "Senior Evan Baker chugged for 80 yards on 18 carries for GC while speedy Caleb Herron collected 45 yards on four carries before leaving early in the second quarter with a recurrence of his shoulder injury."

i have watched the tape trumpet and the runner hit the ground and a union player landing on the RB. may have been half a second late but after all it is a contact sport union had a lineman hurt on a low chop block either way i hope both kids are ok and back in action next week.i know some will disagree but thats my take on it so like it or not its what i saw not to mention all the personal fouls GC had and some that werent called GC won no doubt about it but to me they are hyped up to be better than what i saw on tape yes yall beat union but is that really saying something? union is 5-5 or 6-4 at best probably wont win another game and be lucky to make playoffs with that said the way the playoffs are set up it is not meant for a team from southwest virginia to win anyway. good luck to all and on to next week...APPY DAWG OUT

I don't call out kids by name or number on a forum, I always try to give credit where I think it's due. No doubt it is a contact sport and I have no problem with it being hard hitting. with that said 2 players from Union were way overboard with how they played, I blame it on the officials more than the kids.(it is the same way in watching basketball, if they let it get over aggressive early they end up fouling everyone out in the second half)  It can be stopped! GC had  a few later in the game as what I would call retaliation! I don't condone that either. When an official watches a player keep pushing a player for 7-8yds into the bench after the whistle, and the same kid has already had 2 late hits that is on them. I noticed the Union staff pulled the one kid after the 15 yard penalty for the rest of the first half. The very first run of the game for GC a Union player threw a forearm into the GC runner's head instead of trying to tackle him, he got another 3-4yds after that so apparently it didn't hurt him. I personally think the kid who got ejected wasn't the one who had been doing all the late/dirty stuff. There were several times when a player was (I will use the word scrapping) for a ball for 10 seconds after the play was over jerking and pulling at it while the whistle has been blown. I saw this right in front of me, the ref was 2 yards away watching called nothing. At the very least blow the whistle again and tell them the play is over when I blow the whistle.

I say this because I think this game was worse than any I have seen in a while, you won't see me on here talking about dirty plays etc.. I have over 800 posts and I would bet you can go back and see very few where I have spoken about such. I don't ever want to see any kid get hurt for either team, and I usually try to call it as I see it. My fellow GC fans get a lot of attention on a lot of forums for things they do, I don't doubt a lot of it, but, I couldn't verify them because I don't sit on the away side. I have season tickets on the GC side. Good luck on the rest of the season I am not sure Union is as bad off as you think, but maybe they are.

union is 5-5 or 6-4 at best probably wont win another game and be lucky to make playoffs with that said the way the playoffs are set up it is not meant for a team from southwest virginia to win anyway. 

Can you explain that statement?  I dont see it that way at all and im curious how you came to that conclusion.

Idk anything about Middlesboro so I cant comment on that but the rest of Unions schedule is wineable. I would say Lee and Central are about even w Union. The Marion and Battle  games are Unions to lose

With Unions injuries piling up on the Offensive and Defensive lines, there is a good possibility that they lose some games they would win otherwise. As far as the shenanigans on the field last night, Union had some late hits...but GC had a player stirring much of the high emotion up from the opening whistle. Much of what I saw was aimed at that specific player.

I don't call out kids by name or number on a forum, I always try to give credit where I think it's due. No doubt it is a contact sport and I have no problem with it being hard hitting. with that said 2 players from Union were way overboard with how they played, I blame it on the officials more than the kids.(it is the same way in watching basketball, if they let it get over aggressive early they end up fouling everyone out in the second half)  It can be stopped! GC had  a few later in the game as what I would call retaliation! I don't condone that either. When an official watches a player keep pushing a player for 7-8yds into the bench after the whistle, and the same kid has already had 2 late hits that is on them. I noticed the Union staff pulled the one kid after the 15 yard penalty for the rest of the first half. The very first run of the game for GC a Union player threw a forearm into the GC runner's head instead of trying to tackle him, he got another 3-4yds after that so apparently it didn't hurt him. I personally think the kid who got ejected wasn't the one who had been doing all the late/dirty stuff. There were several times when a player was (I will use the word scrapping) for a ball for 10 seconds after the play was over jerking and pulling at it while the whistle has been blown. I saw this right in front of me, the ref was 2 yards away watching called nothing. At the very least blow the whistle again and tell them the play is over when I blow the whistle.

I say this because I think this game was worse than any I have seen in a while, you won't see me on here talking about dirty plays etc.. I have over 800 posts and I would bet you can go back and see very few where I have spoken about such. I don't ever want to see any kid get hurt for either team, and I usually try to call it as I see it. My fellow GC fans get a lot of attention on a lot of forums for things they do, I don't doubt a lot of it, but, I couldn't verify them because I don't sit on the away side. I have season tickets on the GC side. Good luck on the rest of the season I am not sure Union is as bad off as you think, but maybe they are.

i am not on here to start any trouble with and fan for any team just giving my opinion just as everyone else is. there were also two GC players (and i wont call numbers out) that were playing just as bad as the two you are referring to from union. i understand it was supposed to be a great game according to some people and emotions were high going into the game which is no excuse for the dirty play from either team and yes the refs could have and should have put a stop to it early. i hope your right about union not being as bad off as i do but only time will tell 

Can you explain that statement?  I dont see it that way at all and im curious how you came to that conclusion.

Idk anything about Middlesboro so I cant comment on that but the rest of Unions schedule is wineable. I would say Lee and Central are about even w Union. The Marion and Battle  games are Unions to lose

Middlesboro is 3-1-1 according to the web site i read today, union always has trouble with lee, Central is playing pretty good ball right now and after last night unions best D lineman (in my opinion) who was also filling in on O line due to injury got hurt and that is a big lose, they have a starting LB out not sure how long but heard till end of season. dont know much about battle and marion but if union can pull it together and play like i have seen them play they may pull out 2 more wins at best. i have watched them play some games and the defense cant or wont make adjustments. put 9 in the box heck i would rather get beat by 60 points on passing rather than get beat by the run game but im an old school appalachia bulldog so im not to excited about all these new non effective defenses what happened to a 6-2 and 5-3? worked very well for us in the mid 90's. i know the game has changed but the basic fundamentals are still the same and they are lacking imho

didnt say stacked for the west. lets just say i dont like the playoff system and leave it at that. enlighten me please when did the new playoff system start and how many teams from wise lee and scott county have won state in the new system. that my SWVA teams. may be where the confusion is since i dont follow the other teams considered to be in SWVA

didnt say stacked for the west. lets just say i dont like the playoff system and leave it at that. enlighten me please when did the new playoff system start and how many teams from wise lee and scott county have won state in the new system. that my SWVA teams. may be where the confusion is since i dont follow the other teams considered to be in SWVA

You're missing Tazewell, Russell, Buchanan, Dickenson, Washington, Smyth, Wythe and a few others. Those are all in SWVA.

Ahh youre a LPD lover who is stuck in the 90s, if PV/Appy/GC arent winning state titles every other year then the system must be stacked against them. The rest of SWVA cant help it if PV and Appy decided to suck before they closed and Union has done no better since they opened, GC has been in a bit of a valley talent wise. 

I think overall the rest of SWVA is happy with the new system. 

You're missing Tazewell, Russell, Buchanan, Dickenson, Washington, Smyth, Wythe and a few others. Those are all in SWVA.

not missing them if you could read you would see that if not lee wise or scott county i dont care what teams in tazwell russel buccannan dickenson washington smyth and wythe do. take a blood pressure pill and chill out you follow who u want to watch and i will follow who i want and thats that. have a nice day

Ahh youre a LPD lover who is stuck in the 90s, if PV/Appy/GC arent winning state titles every other year then the system must be stacked against them. The rest of SWVA cant help it if PV and Appy decided to suck before they closed and Union has done no better since they opened, GC has been in a bit of a valley talent wise. 

yep i am a LPD lover and that better than a BDD lover with 19 titles and 4 semifinal finishes lol i played in 3 state games and have 2 state rings as a LPD all state player so you hit the nail on the head. and im not sure who your team is but good luck to you and your hometown team later gator

not missing them if you could read you would see that if not lee wise or scott county i dont care what teams in tazwell russel buccannan dickenson washington smyth and wythe do. take a blood pressure pill and chill out you follow who u want to watch and i will follow who i want and thats that. have a nice day

If you state "the playoffs are stacked against X", and your definition of X is about 1/7 of what X actually is, then you're going to catch some well-warranted criticism about your unreasonable blanket statement.

I'm new to the forum and an LPD homer as well. If you weren't PV/Appy/GC and Clintwood then you weren't even part of the conversation when talking SWVA football. I don't think the system is stacked but I bet it'll be a minimum of 6 years before any school around here hoists another state trophy, Honaker included!!!! Look at J.I.B. always the bridesmaid but never a bride!

SWVA has been decent (not great, but decent) in terms of Division 1 (A). It's in Division 2 (AA) and Division 3 (AAA) where the East has just owned the West over the last decade. And it's little more than (1) mule-headedness among SWVA coaches in terms of training and the direction of football and (2) lack of participation among some of the best athletes.