Jimmy Williams will return for his senior season..

http://hokiesports.com/football/recaps/01122005aaa.html

In reading the linked article it sounds as if Mr. Williams is finally maturing and growing up. When he keeps his mouth closed and just plays he's a huge asset to the team. His return means that Victor Harris won't feel the pressure of stepping in and starting immediately. He'll be able to work his way into the system and learn without being thrown into the fire.

I think he feels a special year coming. VT is top 5 on a lot of the early, early preseason lists. Could be that he just wants to be a part of that. Still though, he's taking a BIG chance.

Maybe he feels he needs another year of playing the CB position in college before he goes pro. This was only his first season there after the move from safety. But anyway this is great news. I really expected him to go pro.

[ QUOTE ]

Maybe he feels he needs another year of playing the CB position in college before he goes pro. This was only his first season there after the move from safety. But anyway this is great news. I really expected him to go pro.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's mentioned that he might want to move back to FS next year...or at least that's what I've heard. I don't think it will happen though. He's much better at CB

he's already a high draft position and DB's make good money in the NFL...the odds on him having a season that would move him up higher in the draft are slim...so are Tech's odds of winning a national title...for one thing without a playoff situation, this BCS crap doesn't help anyones chances...ask Auburn...if a team from the SEC can go undefeated and still not play in the big game...the ACC is not any better.

I'd rather have the millions myself....i still say stupid move...any kid that can be a first round draft pick that goes on to play another down in college FB after his JR year is taking a risk that doesn't need to be taken....his signing bonus will probably be more than he would make in his entire lifetime combined...you think about that for a minute.

I read on another board that the NFL may have him projected in the 2nd round...maybe he wants another year to have a better chance at the 1st round. And who says his mother isn't making him stay and get his degree? grin.gif

good DB's are in demand...I would bet he would have gone first round...probably around the 25th overall somewhere....even second round, you are looking at a lot of money...i just hope he doesn't get hurt or have a bad year...he'll be going to open tryouts if so.

I agree, he is def. risking alot but maybee he does feel like things will be great for next year...i know i feel like they will have a great season maybee even national title hopes. They have alot coming back and with IMOH and Humes both returning they should have a pretty dominant running game...there D is...well...its Tech they will always have a good D. But its a risk for him and if he gets hurt he'll be kickin himself right in the butt and maybee his moms if shes the one makin him stay wink.gifhaha JK.

It says in the article on hokiesports that he wants to give himself another year to learn the position and develop there. Also he said he thinks they have a chance for a National Championship and he wants to help the new guys coming in learn the system and become a big leader on the team. If this is what he wants to do then let the kid do what he wants. If something was to happen he would still have a degree from a very fine university and he would be ok.

He's a guy that's one play away from having to work a real job for the rest of his life...lol...that's who he is.

It's cool ...good luck to him...I would have taken the money though. grin.gif

Tech will begin the year in the top-10. They have just about all their key skill guys coming back and a guy named Vick will be under center. The running backs Imoh, Humes, Bell, Orr are a legitmate 4-deep and the WR corp is one of the best in the country. The defense was one of the best in the country and will only be better next year with all but 4 starters coming back. And a full and healthy season from the best college LB since LaVar Arrington will be HUGE.

Starting in the top-10, maybe even top-5 plus the fact that all the tough games will be at home gives VT a very good chance to be unbeaten going into the ACC Championship game. If they win that game, they will be in the mix to play for the MNC. It'll depend on who else is unbeaten at that time.

if VT, Michigan or Ohio State, and USC all go perfect on the season, who do you think will play for the championship? and Throw Oklahoma in to that mix just for arguments...say 3of those teams all go unbeaten...you honestly think the media will give VT a shot at the national title? ...I think not.

Well seeing how Michigan and Ohio state both play each other in the season i dont see how they can both go undefeated soo, but newayz...i dont think if Oklahoma went undefeated next year that they would be in the National Championship game b/c that undefeated Oklahoma team didnt show up to the big game this year nor did they last year either. If USC goes undefeated they will be there. And then it would come down to VT or either Ohio state or MIchigan cause both cant go undefeated, it would honestly have to be how bad they beat their opponents in the reg. season i think. But who knows. Long shot of that happenin but i see wat ur meanin wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]

if VT, Michigan or Ohio State, and USC all go perfect on the season, who do you think will play for the championship? and Throw Oklahoma in to that mix just for arguments...say 3of those teams all go unbeaten...you honestly think the media will give VT a shot at the national title? ...I think not.

[/ QUOTE ]

It all depends on how they are ranked at the beginning of the year. If VT is ranked ahead of those schools then it's doubtful they will be skipped by them in the BCS. Auburn is crying about not getting a shot, but they started at #17. USC began at #1 and OK was somewhere in the top 5. As for the media...they pulled themselves out of the equation. They will still crown an AP Champion at the end of the year but they have zero say in who plays in the Rose Bowl.

VT played for the MNC in 1999...They might have played for another in 2001 if they had a QB after Vick left early... and they have a very real chance to play for one next year. It's time for all the Hoo and Eeer fans to accept the fact that VT is an elite program.

thats why I said Michigan OR Ohio State...one of the two would not go because they play each other.

Anyway...my point is that there are a few select schools that the media will try to hype in to the top 10 every year regardless of what they do...Michigan being one of them...they can have a crappy year and still be in the top 25 if they beat Ohio State? Why? I have no idea...Notre Dame used to be like that but they have sucked so bad the last 10 years that even the hype can't help them...but thats another school to add to the list...if they go undefeated, USC goes and VT goes...who you think will get the shot? Not VT...that's all I'm saying...being perfect doesn't mean a national title anymore.

VT is a legit program...no doubt about it...but there are a few out there that will go ahead of them if they all end up perfect...you have to agree?

Also, Vick is not going to be anywhere near what his brother was (who is?)...will be interesting to see what he can do though. I like VT and UVA both...both have good years ahead from the looks of the recruiting classes the past couple of years.

[ QUOTE ]

Also, Vick is not going to be anywhere near what his brother was (who is?)

[/ QUOTE ]

That's true both on and off the field. However, he's talented enough, that if he comes back with his head on straight he can lead the Hokies very far next year. I'm giddy thinking about Vick having the receiving corp he'll have next year. I said it before the season started and I'll say it again, this is the most talented and deepest receiving corp ever at Tech. Now they have a QB that can consistently throw the deep ball and that's a scary thought.

Well like I said, the media is not involved and we still don't know what the BCS formula will be. If VT wins their games they will be in the mix. If three or more teams are unbeaten VT could be left out because someone has to be. I don't buy the idea that VT would be left out over a Michigan just because they're Michigan. Who starts where will be a factor.

Marcus Vick isn't the fastest football player alive like his brother but he does run about a 4.4 with the same elusiveness as Michael. And it has been noted many times, that he has better touch on his passes. The biggest difference has been maturity. Michael was an eager young man working towards an NFL career to improve the financial situation of his family, while Marcus has acted like a spoiled rich kid for two years. If his head is on straight now (and it supposedly is)he can be one of the best QB's in the country. I was at the spring game last year and Marcus Vick was the best QB on the field. That's a pretty big statement considering that Bryan Randall went on to win the ACC player of the year award. Marcus isn't Michael but he can still make defenders look silly, he can still turn a broken play into a big one, and he has an offensive system and a receiving corps that's much better than what Michael had. Marcus has also spent the last six months working out with his brother (and his brother's NFL QB coach).