Friday Night Lights is out on DVD today

Lance

In my opinion a good high school football movie is "all the right moves". It was before some of yalls time, around '83 or early '84, it starred tom cruise.

It's more about a player who thinks he's going to be stuck working in a steel mill in a depressing steel town in pa. if he doesn't get a football scholarship, and there's more of that than football, but I'd certainly label it a high school football movie.

It was filmed not far from pittsburgh, in a real life pa. high school football crazy town, "aliquipa", home of the quips, if I'm correct.

Didn't have the best reviews, but then not many '80s movies did, but if you enjoy high school football movies, you'd likely enjoy it for that.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[ QUOTE ]

In my opinion a good high school football movie is "all the right moves". It was before some of yalls time, around '83 or early '84, it starred tom cruise.

It's more about a player who thinks he's going to be stuck working in a steel mill in a depressing steel town in pa. if he doesn't get a football scholarship, and there's more of that than football, but I'd certainly label it a high school football movie.

It was filmed not far from pittsburgh, in a real life pa. high school football crazy town, "aliquipa", home of the quips, if I'm correct.

Didn't have the best reviews, but then not many '80s movies did, but if you enjoy high school football movies, you'd likely enjoy it for that.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think they filmed it in Aliquippa, I believe it was filmed up river in a town called Coraopolis. There is a real town across the river from Aliquippa called Ambridge, which was named for the American Bridge Company. They are the basis for the fictional town of Ampipe and the steel mill, American Pipe and Steel Company, in the movie.

I actually watched that movie this morning around 3 AM on FX. Insomnia...

Yeah I think Adam Sandler is playing Burt Reynold's part in the remake. I'm a big Sandler fan so I'm looking forward to that one.

Rudy is definatley one of the best sports movies ever but I'd have to put Remember the Titans, and Hooziers up there with it. Maybe Miracle as well.

Sounds like you know what you're talkin about g-man, I thought it said aliquippa at the end credits, but perhaps not. It does mention aliquippa in the movie though, maybe that's the reason I was thinking that.

Speaking of movies and locations, didn't they film a lot of the deer hunter in weirton, home of the weir red riders?

They filmed alot of the lassie movie from '94 in the cove in tazewell county.

I haven't seen "remember the titans", but we rented it and we're getting ready to watch it in a few minutes.

Friday night lights has been out so we rented that.

And speaking of burt reynolds, anyone not seen "deliverence"? That's a good movie.

God bless.

here is the cast of the dukes of hazzard moive as of now

here is the full cast as of now.

Credited cast:

Seann William Scott .... Bo Duke

Johnny Knoxville .... Luke Duke

Jessica Simpson .... Daisy Duke

Burt Reynolds .... Boss Hogg

Willie Nelson .... Uncle Jesse

rest of cast listed alphabetically

Lynda Carter .... Pauline

M.C. Gainey .... Sheriff Roscoe P. Coltrane

Nikki Griffin .... Katie Johnson

Danny Hanemann .... Older Cop

Kevin Heffernan

David Koechner

Jacqui Maxwell

Wayne Morgan .... Prisoner #2

James Roday .... Jake Branner

Michael Weston .... Enos

Jim Cody Williams .... Security Guard Chip

[ QUOTE ]

Sounds like you know what you're talkin about g-man, I thought it said aliquippa at the end credits, but perhaps not. It does mention aliquippa in the movie though, maybe that's the reason I was thinking that.

Speaking of movies and locations, didn't they film a lot of the deer hunter in weirton, home of the weir red riders?

They filmed alot of the lassie movie from '94 in the cove in tazewell county.

I haven't seen "remember the titans", but we rented it and we're getting ready to watch it in a few minutes.

Friday night lights has been out so we rented that.

And speaking of burt reynolds, anyone not seen "deliverence"? That's a good movie.

God bless.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here is a bit more trivia for you...

The mention of Aliquippa is when Coach Nickerson is talking about the college job offer he mentions that he and "you know who from Aliquippa" are up for the position. Anyway, in the movie, the coach for the Walnut Heights team (which, by the way, was "modeled" after the Quips) was actually THE head coach at Aliquippa HS at that time.

I have to correct myself on where it was filmed...I went back and checked, it was actually fimed in Johnstown, PA, not Coraopolis as I stated earlier.

I bought Friday Night Lights last week and got the chance to watch it when I was snowed in this past weekend. I thought it was OK but not the best that I have seen. I wish I would have rented it first instead of buying it. The movie does a good job of showing how the pressure to win can be put on teenagers not only by parents but also the community.

I saw the movie, but I didn't really want to watch it. I hate it where the movies are off from the book, but it was good overall.... also didn't you notice that all the guys on the opposite team in the state championship, they were HUGE?!?!?! If some of them would come to, say, SWVA, they wouldn't have trouble getting scholarships.lol

No, GrahamPride said the movie did a good job of showing pressure from the community and parents. I ment Varsity Blues did the same thing. Like when he threw a ball and nailed his dad in the nose. And also when the store owner just gave him a 6 pack of beer for free..

Sorry, I thought you were answereing my question. Yeah, the town puts alot of pressure on stuff like that. My brother played football later 90's and when we lived in Waynesboro, Va, all the pressure was on him and the rb, so one night they went out and "partied" and my brother got kicked off the team. well, once that happened UVA took away the scholarship and now he isn't doing as good. Goes to show you what a little pressure cn change you life...

• 2 weeks later...

So I watched all the high school football movies I hadn't watched before last week, "remember the titans" was 1 of if not the best.

Friday night lights was better than I expected also. Really good also.

The other I watched was the movie "radio", about the guy known as radio at hanna high in s.c.,

all of those were good.

Was reading through high school football sites from different states and saw odessa periman's site.

mojoland

There has been, and never will be, a well made sports movie.

All sport movies I have ever seen have degenerated into one of two themes.

1) The ultimate underdog.

2) The "grizzled old veteran" who sees the twilight of his career fading fast.

You can tell which catagory the movie will fall into just by looking at the cover of the movie and reading the comments or "foward" on the back of the box. I don't even give them the time of day anymore. There all so cliche'.

that's true to an extent...The Pistol was pretty good though...and Hoosiers wasn't bad either...Rocky...Varsity Blues...there have been a lot worth watching.

It's kinda like watching a Superman movie then complaining that people can't really fly...it's a movie..watch a doccumentary if you want "just the facts" I guess.

Hoosiers and Rocky are the blueprint for "class 1" (ultimate underdog)! Rudy could not be believeably written if not for the fact that the main character was real. I mean in the end, other than Rudy, who cares if the kid gets to play or not, because the diploma he'll receive will say Universtiy of Notre Dame on it.

Remember the Titans should be up there with Rudy as far as football movies go. Bull Durham is one of the best. Hooziers may be the best of the best in my opinion. I'm also fond of Miracle. Mostly because the "Miracle" of the 1980 Olympics is what made me a sports fan at age 11. Varsity Blues was entertaining but nowhere near being a great sports movie.