Friday Night Lights is out on DVD today

Lance

Just picked it up at Kmart...watch what you get because they have Widescreen and Full Screen and I picked up a Full Screen first without realizing it...its written kinda faded at the bottom...easy to miss. I hate full screen...lol.

Anyway...boring day so I figured I would share...lol.

grin.gif

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yea i went out and bought it this morning. i havent seen it yet but whether its good or not, its about high school football and they dont make to many movies about high school football except Varsity Blues thats about the only other one i can think of, maybe Radio but that wasnt just about high school football.

In real life they didn't make it all the way to State...they lost in state semi's...but it was to Dallas Carter...and they actually did almost beat them....but Jesse Armstead(now with the Panthers)...knocked down a pass in the endzone in the last seconds of the game...Dallas Carter went on to win the State Championship...

Just thought id show off some of my knowledge!!! lol

Carter also later had a couple of players sent to jail for robbery.The players said they did it for fun didn't need the money,both had D-1 offers one at Baylor and TCU i think. kind of dumb huh.Yes i've looked at the books a few times. lol

[ QUOTE ]

I went out and bought it tonight

The ending still makes me mad when they get beat lol

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, thanks a lot buddy. Why don't you tell me other endings of movies I haven't seen yet? lol

This is one of my favorite sports movies, how can you dislike it? Yes, it is filmed different, but the football action and things like that are what makes it great. How could you tell the story better than what they did in the movie without boring people out of the theaters?

It just didnt have that excitment like other movies did

for example: Remember the titans.....That was a good movie because if they lost a game there head coach would get fired, and that was one of the first schools in that area to intergrate. So that made a good base-line for the movie. And the football players black and white had to come togehter to win and indeed they did

now on the other hand with friday night lights: there star running back gets hurt because he wanted to be an idoiot and hide that other players helmet from him, Tim McGraw plays a father of the quarterback and is very abussive to him. They go to the Championship and lose.....thats it

I really didnt like it at all for the simple reason it didnt get into the characters enough..

[ QUOTE ]

I really didnt like it at all for the simple reason it didnt get into the characters enough..

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree but then again if they really wanted to go into the players lives deeper it would have lasted for 3 or 4 hours.

another problem is they didnt go through the season very in depth. they just showed like the first 5 or 6 games and like game #7 or #8 and then the playoffs flew by and that was it. but i though the did a decent job but i think remember the titans beats this one. it was a good movie but just not that in-depth.

McGraw played the father of the running back that couldn't hold onto the football, not the father of the QB. Nevertheless, the movie was real in all the aspects that you mentioned and that's why I liked it. Is it the best sports movie of all-time though? No.

Sports movies are one of my favorite thing's. Remember the Titans, Rudy, Hooziers, Miracle, and even Bull Durham are great movies. Friday Night Lights was badly written, badly directed, and badly filmed IMHO. The last 20-30 minutes of the movie was pretty good but the rest wasn't worth sitting through to get there.

There really wasn't all that many things it had in common with the book, I will admit that. And no, it doesn't have the storyline of Rudy, Remember the Titans, movies like that, but it is an overall good movie. You can't make the movie about the book to closely though without going to jail.

And another thing I will admit. The book is 20 thousand times better than the movie. If you want to get into the players in depth, buy the book for 16.95 at the bookstore. Also the character that they forgot to mention who was my favorite player on the team was a lineman, Jerrod Mcdougal. He was the guy that drove the big truck, not Chavez, he was the wild one that chased the women, not Billingsley. He was the emotional one, not Winchell. He was one of the most important characters that I thought they left out.

My favorite sports movie has to be The Pistol - you guys ever see that? About Pistol Pete? I don't think they ever put it out on DVD...if they do I'll grab it.

I though Friday Night Lights could have been better if they showed more of the games and did a little better with the on field stuff...but overall it was a great movie...as far as the dvd goes, the bonus features are awesome...player interviews and vintage footage...very cool stuff...I spent another 2 hours after I watched it just going through all the bonus stuff...to be honest I think I liked the bonus material as much as if not more than the movie...which is rare for me.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

I went out and bought it tonight

The ending still makes me mad when they get beat lol

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, thanks a lot buddy. Why don't you tell me other endings of movies I haven't seen yet? lol

[/ QUOTE ]

Hate to break this to you, but the ship sinks at the end of Titanic.

wink.gif

I don't think it ever came out on DVD...you'll have to let me make us a copy of that on DVD sometime this summer or something. I am working on Garon's highlight film right now...when I get finished with that I can copy it. grin.gif

*I still have your game films you wanted to...after that last Va High fiasco I didn't think to give them to you at the game.