Richlands Coach

bluekick

I posted a week or so ago that Jodi Fuller might be taking over as head coach next year for the blues, but he won't be able to do it. He's working two jobs and starting his own business so he won't have the time. But I've heard that Jim McGee, who's assistant coach now, will be taking over; he's no Fuller, but he's better than Rife. Remember this is all word-of-mouth though, this could be BS, so don't take it to town.

Why promote within? Why can't Richlands go and find a quality coach with some experience and the ability to create a strong program? Look at Coach Aaron Williams at Castlewood. He put his time in at Abingdon JV and got the head position at Castlewood. He would be an excellent choice for a Boys Varsity program. Class, excitement, and participation would be a welcome at any program looking for a change.

[ QUOTE ]

Why promote within? Why can't Richlands go and find a quality coach with some experience and the ability to create a strong program? Look at Coach Aaron Williams at Castlewood. He put his time in at Abingdon JV and got the head position at Castlewood. He would be an excellent choice for a Boys Varsity program. Class, excitement, and participation would be a welcome at any program looking for a change.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hard to do that when the exsisting basketball coach rife is also the Athletics Director which would make that very decision for next year.

I agree Aaron williams would be a good choice,but i'm not sure he would come up here from Cwood.Because down there the parents don't try to rule him,he's free to coach the kids.Plus he's been offered jobs at some other schools.He is one heck of a preacher too,and a good man also,i'm sure ofish8 knows that.

If Rife does step down, I think Richlands is going to have trouble finding a good replacement for several reasons.

The short list is as follows:

- Fact that Rife is the AD

- Expectations of the fan base

- General political climate in the area

- General condition of the basketball program

- The local economy

These are the kinds of factors that will combine to ensure that the next hoops coach at RHS will be hired from within, IMO. And generally speaking, I don't know that many outside folks would consider it to be a desirable job to begin with.

A crying shame for those of us who remember how strong the program was overall (from 6th grade through varsity) back in the '80s.

If only Reggie Blevins didn't have to move on back in 1985....

those are all good points but there are all those problems in football too and we seem to do just fine and for the fan support problem even though i dont like to think of richlands fans as fair weather fans if we had a good coach than the wins would come and the bleachers would be filled more than the decent crowds we have now with a 2-15 record

[ QUOTE ]

those are all good points but there are all those problems in football too and we seem to do just fine and for the fan support problem even though i dont like to think of richlands fans as fair weather fans if we had a good coach than the wins would come and the bleachers would be filled more than the decent crowds we have now with a 2-15 record

[/ QUOTE ]

I probably should've clarified my post a bit to focus more on attracting outside candidates. In terms of football, RHS hasn't brought in a head coach from outside the program since Dennis Vaught was hired back in 1990. And while I think Greg Mance has proven beyond a doubt that he's the right man for the job, I also know for certain that there wasn't much outside interest in the job when he came on board. (Granted, there were extenuating circumstances involved -- namely the fallout from the conclusion of Vaught's second stint.)

The last "outside" hire in basketball occurred in 1982. And even in that case, Reggie Blevins had worked as an assistant at RHS for two seasons previously.

Just my opinion, but I think there are several unique circumstances in play with regard to the RHS hoops program that will make it difficult to find a quality successor for Rife. Not saying that as an argument for keeping him as coach, mind you. But I think the situation is very much akin to what Virginia Tech went through with Ricky Stokes. Whenever Rife does leave the position, RHS is probably going to have to take whoever might be interested in the job that they can get. Which might not be a bad thing. Maybe there's a Seth Greenberg out there at the HS level who'd be willing to shake things up in Richlands.

Purely my opinion, mind you.

I don't think Richlands has fair weather fans at all, and I certainly didn't mean to imply as much. In fact, I think RHS probably has one of the deepest and most loyal fan bases for all athletic programs in the entire region. My mention of expectations is based on my opinion that the fan base has come to expect team that are consistently competitive on an annual basis at a minimum. This expectation is reasonable, IMO, based on experience.

However, I do think it also means that any new coach isn't going to be given a long time to rebuild the program. Guys like Tom Chaffin and Lawrence Johnson could definitely back me up on that one.

[ QUOTE ]

I posted a week or so ago that Jodi Fuller might be taking over as head coach next year for the blues, but he won't be able to do it. He's working two jobs and starting his own business so he won't have the time. But I've heard that Jim McGee, who's assistant coach now, will be taking over; he's no Fuller, but he's better than Rife. Remember this is all word-of-mouth though, this could be BS, so don't take it to town.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jimmy's a good guy. If he is given the reins, I believe that he could do a great job.

Whoever winds up taking over needs to give attention to rebuilding the entire program, IMO. One of the reasons that Gate City is so competitive in football is the fact that they develop something of a "farm system" beginning with their midget league. Kids there start learning the varsity's offensive and defensive schemes on a basic level at an early age so they're pretty sound in the fundamentals by the time they're in high school.

Richlands basketball had a similar system in place in the 1980's led by visionary assistants like Tom Lucas with buy-in from Coach Blevins and Coach Lyons. It wasn't quite as overt as GC's football strategy, but we did have programs like BCR (Basketball Club of Richlands) and we had opportunities to attend a lot of camps at a young age that prepared us to do well at the varsity level. And in the mean time, our teams won titles at the middle school and JV levels on our way up.

One of the things I remember from the good old days was the game program that was produced for basketball back then. It always featured info about all Richlands teams, from 6th grade through varsity, and there was usually a group shot of all the teams together. It strikes me that the programs at the lower age levels are mostly an afterthought now. If the varsity staff took the "Gate City football" approach to the program, things could improve drastically, IMO.

Maybe RHS should hire me. I do have an undefeated coaching record (guided my fraternity team to the Rec League playoffs during my senior year at Tech), but I might be willing to risk it for the old alma mater. If the price was right, of course. wink.gif

yeah as far as undefeated records go mine is clean as well (0-0) lol j/k but yeah i think jimmy mcgee would be an excellent coach i hated to see him go from the football program. still unsure of why that happened?

yeah and i agree with u too that richlands fans are by far the most loyal in the area but the desire to go to a basketball game has went down in the past couple of years i look in my uncles yearbook when he played and the seats were packed for a game with gate city. we only get those crowds during the tazewell games. and also the radio has limted there broadcasts as well i remember when i was younger they would have every game either live or on delay but now only close district games and most home games are played?

I think the best remedy for any situation such as Richlands Basketball is to bring a coach from the outside. The politics, favortism, and everything associated with someone currently involved in the program would be eliminated. I realize that other factors dictate who and how a coach can be named, but in the best intrest of the kids and the program, someone needs to give the program a new and exciting look and feel. Someone like Williams at Castlewood would be an excellent choice. Look at other area coaches, who is any better? The SWD used to be loaded with some good coaches, now they are all in the BDD.

that would be the best idea im thinkin a good asst. from a program with a winning tradition. worked for twin valley and brian moore he came from honaker and its doing a great job with the panthers. maybe we can get jake colleys dad when he graduates.

[ QUOTE ]

I think the best remedy for any situation such as Richlands Basketball is to bring a coach from the outside. The politics, favortism, and everything associated with someone currently involved in the program would be eliminated. I realize that other factors dictate who and how a coach can be named, but in the best intrest of the kids and the program, someone needs to give the program a new and exciting look and feel. Someone like Williams at Castlewood would be an excellent choice. Look at other area coaches, who is any better? The SWD used to be loaded with some good coaches, now they are all in the BDD.

[/ QUOTE ]

The program is definitely way overdue for some fresh air (1982 was a long time ago). I'm just setting my own personal expectations pretty low so as not to be disappointed whenever a successor is named. I'm also hesitant to offer names of other folks whom I considered qualified. Based on my previous experience with Jack Ginn and E&H, that seems to be the kiss of death.

That said, Richlands could do a lot worse than yours truly. Although I'm 99% certain that they couldn't afford me because I'd want a contract with Pete Gillen-like terms to start.

[ QUOTE ]

I don't think Richlands has fair weather fans at all, and I certainly didn't mean to imply as much. In fact, I think RHS probably has one of the deepest and most loyal fan bases for all athletic programs in the entire region. My mention of expectations is based on my opinion that the fan base has come to expect team that are consistently competitive on an annual basis at a minimum. This expectation is reasonable, IMO, based on experience.

[/ QUOTE ]

Richlands fans are usually more loyal during Richland's down years than most fans are at schools where the basketball team, or football, or what have you is doing well.

yeah it is pretty pothetic and mandating head coaches to be a county employee is a bunch of bull too. i like the way they got it at honaker i know of they have a butt load of coaches that know there stuff and are just helping out not getting paid or anything