United States vs. ...

BarraBrava99

Well, I don't think that we will have any problems with Columbia, even though this match really doesn't matter. I wouldn't doubt if we won 2-1 or tied 1-1 or something. Just as long as Johnson gets another goal! The next match that matters though is against Mexico in Mexico City. Don't forget we've never won there.

What I'm even more excited about is our chances and expectations for WC '06. I see us definately going to the quarters or maybe even semis of the tourney. A third place finish? That would be unheard of and straight up awesome!!!

it all depends on what kind of draw we get i think. i can't help but imagine what could've been back in 2002. if sanneh's header would've made it's way into the goal and we had gotten past germany, the US would've played south korea again (and won). the final easily could've been United States vs. Brazil.

yesterday a US team made up of MLS players trounced the new CD Chivas USA in a scrimmage, 7-0. clint mathis started the scoring, followed by two goals from pat noonan. eddie johnson just keeps scoring goals as he added the fourth before the half. after the break taylor twellman scored two goals to put the US up 6-0. defender chris albright provided the final tally to make the final score 7-0. grin.gif sweet! six more days until colombia!

3-0 USA! Clint Mathis gets credit for the goal after sending in a corner kick that the Col. keeper mishandled and let roll into the goal!... BUT... Eddie Johnson is subbed off, bringing his scoring streak to an end. Rats.

ugh, Taylor Twellman is red carded in the 75th minute for a tackle from behind. Oh well. The USA gets another W and keeps our record unbeaten streak alive!

• 2 weeks later...

• 2 months later...

The United States Men's National Team plays England in a friendly match tomorrow (Saturday) at Soldier Field in Chicago. England is currently ranked 6th in the world, four spots ahead of USA (10th). The visitors will be without several big name players such as David Beckham, but will still feature some of the best players from the English Premier League. Kickoff is at 3:00pm on ESPN (Ch. 206 DirecTV). Check it out if you can!

• 2 weeks later...

Keller made three SPECTACULAR saves, one right after the other, to preserve the shutout in another 3-0 victory. This time it was on the road and at the expense of Panama. Carlos Bocanegra headed a corner kick against the underside of the crossbar and over the line in the sixth minute, Donovan scored a header of his own in the 20th (keeping alive his streak of scoring a goal or an assist in all but one qualifier), and finally Brian McBride notched the final goal in the 40th. Only Eric Wynalda has scored more goals than McBride now. Also, with the goal McBride has tied Earnie Stewart for USA's all-time leading goal scorer in world cup qualifying. Next match is the kick off of the CONCACAF Gold Cup in July.

And on a side note, I hate referee Maricio Navarro!!!!! He sucks and is COMPLETELY inconsistent!!!!! He'd fit right in in SWD I think.

• 4 weeks later...

Last night the US men came from behind to beat Cuba 4-1 in the first game of group play in the CONCACAF Gold Cup. Despite the US controlling much of the possession, Lester More put the Cubans on the scoresheet first in the 18th minute. The USA poured on the pressure and found the equalizer moments before halftime through Clint Dempsey. The US rally was given a break in the second half when Cuban midfielder Jaime Colome was red carded for his studs-up challenge to the chest of Ben Olsen. In the final 6 minutes the USA scored the gamewinner and found the back of the net twice more before the final whistle. Donovan scored a free kick in the 87th, followed by Damarcus Beasley's insurance gaol 3 minutes later, and finally another goal from Donovan in stoppage time. Cuba's goal was the first they had scored on the USA since September 1949.

• 2 weeks later...

CONCACAF Gold Cup

USA 2:0 Canada

An own goal gives the US the lead and Landon Donovan scored the second in injury time.

USA 0:0 Costa Rica

The teams share a point, but USA wins the group.

QUARTERFINAL

USA 3:1 Jamaica

Josh Wolff gives USA an early lead ('6) followed by two goals from PSV midfielder DaMarcus Beasley. Jamaica pulled back a consolation goal with two minutes remaining. Ben Olsen was ejected in the 58th minute for pulling down Andy Williams on a breakaway. Olsen being the last man was shown the red card. The teams were even again, though, in the 66th as Jamaica's Jermaine Taylor was sent off for a reckless foul on DaMarcus Beasley right in front of the fourth official's table.

SEMIFINAL Thursday, 7/21

USA vs. Honduras

After trailing Honduras for most of the match, the USA got two goals in the last 6 minutes to book a spot in the Gold Cup final. The Hondurans took the lead in the 30th minute and held onto it until the 86th when John O'Brien tied it up. It was his first goal for the national team since his strike against Portugal in the 2002 world cup, almost 3 years ago. The USA avoided overtime when defender Oguchi Onyewu scored his first international goal off a diving header with literally only seconds to left to play. With the win the US moves on to a record 5th Gold Cup final. They will play Panama Sunday in Giants Stadium for the championship.

• 5 months later...