United States vs. ...

BarraBrava99

USA-5 vs. 0-Norway

Taylor Twellman netted a hat trick (only the 9th in US soccer history) with Eddie Pope and Chris Klein rounding out the scoring. It was the largest margin of victory for the USA over a European opponent. Next up is Japan in San Diego on Feb. 10.

• 2 weeks later...

USA 3 vs. 2 Japan

Twellman scores the winner and sets up the first two goals. Pope opened the scoring and for the first time in his career had a goal in back-to-back games. Landon Donovan equalled Cobi Jones' all-time assist record last night as well (22 assists).

[ QUOTE ]

USA 3 vs. 2 Japan

Twellman scores the winner and sets up the first two goals. Pope opened the scoring and for the first time in his career had a goal in back-to-back games. Landon Donovan equalled Cobi Jones' all-time assist record last night as well (22 assists).

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, I admit it...I watched the first half of the game. Twellman's assist on the first goal was tremendous. But the way the US seemed to control the first half, the score should have been much worse than 3-2.

[ QUOTE ]

we are starting to get to you gman

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually the only reason I watched any of it was because there was nothing else on and I couldn't go to sleep...NBA, Olympic Opening Ceremonies, local news...blech! I had already watched as much Weather Channel and Storm Stories as I could take for one evening...kinda like the fact that I'm watching Women's Hockey (Rus. vs. Swe.) right now...

• 2 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...

• 3 weeks later...

Anybody watch the game yesterday? confused.gif After a scoreless first half, Germany routed the USA 4-1, their first goal coming only 20 seconds after the second half kickoff. Needless to say alot of guys played their way off of the World Cup roster.

[ QUOTE ]

Yeah, Germany needed that game though to boost their confidence and their fan's confidence after they got routed by Italy the other day.

[/ QUOTE ]

No kidding. I mean, I knew Germany was going to come out swinging and they might come away with a 1-0, 2-0 win, but 4-1?! sheesh. Oh well. Personally I thought it would end scoreless. Boy was I off!

GMan, I barely follow US soccer and even i knew that the US only dressed a few of their players that will be on the actual US team roster for the world cup.. On the other hand Germany had pretty much their full roster. How could a team of not even second and third stringers beat a fully stacked team?? The odds didnt look good for US from the start of the game.

[ QUOTE ]

Admit it guys, the US is overrated in soccer...they'll prove that in the World Cup...

[/ QUOTE ]

I definitely keep up with the US National team and I am going to have to agree with GMan here. We'll be lucky to get out of the round of 32.

What is wrong with you people? This in many peoples opinion is suposed to be the best US team ever assembled. There are only a hand-full of nations better than us right now. Im not saying the US is going win the world cup by no means, but we will be well represented. I predict we get just as far if not further than we did in 02.

Two weeks until I see the US play!!!

Rankings are meaningless in footie, and yes I do think the US is overrated, but not by much. Turd_Luvver_MVP_02 is right. This is one of the best (if not the best) US squads we've ever had... IF they stay healthy. The player pool is deeper than it's ever been, but apparently not that deep as shown by the failure at Germany. MLS needs to figure someway to up the pressure on players to perform everyday and turn the USA into a world power and not just a regional one.

By no means am I rooting against the U.S. I just don't want everybody to be disappointed when we lose a couple of games to teams that aren't ranked as high as us. Another good point, we are better than we have ever been, but we still have a long way to go in our domestic game to really put up a fight against the rest of the world.

[ QUOTE ]

I just don't want everybody to be disappointed when we lose a couple of games to teams that aren't ranked as high as us

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't that what makes soccer so great? Any team can beat any other team on any given day. grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]

we still have a long way to go in our domestic game to really put up a fight against the rest of the world.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah, MLS... what to do? What to do? A single table would really force players to be at their best every single day, but then you run the risk of clubs winning the title weeks or even months before the season is even over *coughchelseacough*. I think they should offer some monetary incentive to players for winning matches and limit the number of teams that make it to the playoffs (8 of 12 teams make it? Come on!). Landon Donovan himself has admitted that he only plays his best soccer in the postseason. How would that change if his team had to actually fight for a playoff spot all season rather than just making sure they knock off the teams with fewer points at the end? Oh well, just ranting.