Random Stuff

AtrnyGnrl05

I heard Graham just got new uniforms last year and I was wondering if anyone else got new ones. What do you think the big game of the year in the Region will be? Graham and Marion? I know the Graham v. Abingdon game usually turns into a bunch of cheap hits, but it's usually close and alot of fun to watch. What about the SWD? Graham and CC? how about Richlands? Haven't heard much out of them. Do you guys play music during warm-ups? If so what do yall play over the loud speakers? Anything you like? Anything else soccer related that doesn't need it's own post, just put it here...

i know carroll got some new jerseys, and some sweet new adidas rotiero balls! i don't know much about abingdon, but i'd love to see graham go up against them, and marion! like usual the big matchup in SWD will be graham-carroll. no offense to anyone else (none intended anyway) but usually it is the most tense affair. well, at least it was. it seems to me that alot of the bad blood which existed in the past has boiled away. last year graham seemed to have some downright polite guys on the squad... dare i say, maybe even nice. haha! again, no offense, it's just that in my day there was more fighting, spitting, trash talking, fouling, yellow/red carding, etc. going on than there was soccer. it's good to see now that the emphasis is on soccer.

Here's a cool story about how I met a guy that used to play soccer in England: I was with my fiance's father at a civil war reenactment in Saltville, VA. Amidst all of the tents, muskets, and grey and blue uniforms there was an elderly man wearing a maroon and blue Aston Villa jersey (I remember b/c they were one of the teams i was using in FIFA 2003 on my Gamecube). I wanted to speak to him, but I didn't. I returned the next day with my fiance and found the same man again wearing the Aston Villa jersey. What would a soccer fan his age be doing in this part of Virginia at such an event? I had to know, so I walked up to him and with a smile said "so, you're an Aston Villa fan, eh?" His hearing wasn't that great it turns out, so I had to ask again. He answered "No, I'm not an Aston Villa fan, I used to play for them." ...! shocked.gif Whoa! He told me about how he played for a few different teams in the English Premier League (or whatever it was called back then) in the 1950's or so. Aston Villa, West Bromwich Albion, and Milwall in England (try searching for them on the internet if you're interested), and Borussia Monchengladbach (don't try pronouncing it until you've heard it on TV, just trust me when I say it's a big deal) in Germany. He even told about his last game for Villa, a 2-1 loss to Chelsea... Chelsea! The man played against one of the greatest teams in soccer history! Anyway, I ran to my car and grabbed one of my soccer balls. I took it to him and he signed it for me: Willy Gehlur. Pretty sweet, eh?

I believe the teams to watch out for are From the piedmont = magna vista and bassett. yes bassett with FC closing and moving in with bassett they will be hard to beat. Martinsville should be down but they are always strong. From the Highlands = Most likly Abingdon and VA High. Marion does have a few returning freshmen forwards from last year. From the SWD I believe that it will be close and it will be hard for any teams to win all their district games this year. I have to go with Carroll and Graham. History tends to repeat it self and those are the top two teams for the longest time in the SWD. If Graham can fill the spaces that Belcher and their Keeper left along with a few others, then they will be strong. Carroll needs to replace half of their midfield and their stopper from last year. It will be a great year for the SWD, so everyone work hard and lets represent. wink.gif

That is a cool story, brarra. We have a man that comes down and practices with us on saturdays who's from England. His last name is Welsh. I think he helps with Graham and Blacksburg, too. Do any Graham players know what kind of playing he's done across the pond? I know he's played for Bluefield college.

that reminds me, if anyone is interested in going to a soccer camp over the summer to improve i wanted to recommend Ralph Lundy Soccer Academy. it's held throughout the southeast US, but the closest it comes to here is Asheville, NC. imagine boot camp, but a soccer version of it. it's intense, but you'll learn more there in a week than training anywhere else for a month. i shelled out $500 for the elite camp in 1999. i don't know how much it costs now, but the reg camp is $100 cheaper. it's worth every penny. *note: this is not an ad for RLSA nor do i work for them. haha! but his camp got me and my friend the district title that year and also got me a spot on the West squad in the VHSL all-star game. does anyone here go to soccer camps during the summer? or anytime for that matter?

yeah, andy helps with the camp, too. when i was attending the elite camp the director showing us what to do was anton corneal, a former player and coach of trinidad&tobago's national team! actually a couple of US stars have been through the camp, josh wolff, joe-max moore, i think bobby convey (if he didn't attend the camp then he used to hang out w/ the director at his house in charleston, SC)... i can't remember who else.

[ QUOTE ]

We have a man that comes down and practices with us on saturdays who's from England. His last name is Welsh. I think he helps with Graham...

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh yeah, David Welsh? Got lots of history w/ that skilled dude...stupid Liverpool jacket...ask him about his East River Raptors team. tongue.gif

[ QUOTE ]

I believe the teams to watch out for are From the pd= magna vista and bassett. yes bassett with FC closing and moving in with bassett they will be hard to beat.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gah, there's no way, Martinsville ALWAYS wins down there.

[ QUOTE ]

does anyone here go to soccer camps during the summer? or anytime for that matter?

[/ QUOTE ]

A few years back I went to a Middle States Soccer Camp in PA, I would probably rate it a 6 or 7 on a 10 scale because it really depends when you go on if its good or not.. A guy I know went and said it was a horrible camp but I went and there were 3 D-1 players there which made it a great camp.. But a camp I went to this past year was the Penn State Blue Chip Camp. Its only a weekend camp but the competition is the best and they work you almost as hard as they would their own players..

you know at first i thought you meant concord, new hampshire!!! HAHAA! i thought that'd be a heck of a drive for a soccer camp! seriously, though, that's cool. it seems like almost every major college has some sort of soccer camp offering. i had a friend/teammate that actually played for concord a couple years ago. now he's coaching. but you say just okay? why just okay?

well its okay compared to the camps you guys are talking about...its just for fun but you do learn alot of stuff.....its good to an extent....its just really fun...thats why i like it.....its not hardcore military stuff....they just let you have fun half the time....

oh....well i dont know him...if i do i dont know his name....the only guy that worked with the high schoolers was named Jesse (i dont know his last name)...but he was a defender and he is pretty cool.......unless you make him mad....

you would make him mad by not listening and then he would say "take a lap...you know what make it 2" those are his exact words....but he is pretty cool if he likes you...