Weight Lifting

bigorange_66

here ya go....

Is it bad for children?

Boys enjoy more natural development during puberty and for a longer time afterwards. In fact, their peak gains in strength last for 18 months after their peak gains in size. However, strength training from puberty onwards would still be highly beneficial for boys. Puberty provides a great window of opportunity for them to develop strength through training because of the high testosterone levels. If regular training is maintained, the large possible gains at this time can last into adulthood. (Without regular training, i.e. at least once a week, children show the same detraining effects as adults.) For this reason I would also recommend starting 'adult-like' strength training for boys from puberty, depending on the pre-puberty training status. I reiterate that the aim should be to use 8-12 RM loads safely and effectively with pubertal boys by establishing good technique before the time when high-intensity training needs to begin.

Many coaches and parents believe that strength training is bad for children and even potentially dangerous. For instance, a myth exists that heavy weight-lifting too young will stunt growth. There is little research to suggest that weight training for young children is unsafe - in fact, most of it confirms that weight training is one of the safest exercises they can do. A child is much more likely to be injured on the football pitch, tennis court or running track than in the gym. Weltman et al (1986) specifically studied the effects of heavy strength training on young boys. During the training period, one of the 16 boys suffered a mild muscle strain and none of the boys showed any damage to the growth plates. In fact, strength training in young children will thicken the bones by promoting increased bone mineral density, and do nothing to hinder growth in length. I repeat once more, weight training with heavy loads is very safe if technique is correct and posture and stability are maintained. Poorly performed weight exercises are just as dangerous for adults as for children.

Guest BB_TWEEDER

Id say alot of it is do to the shape the pupil is in befor starting the workout. In one study I read it said " The younger the pupil Male or Female the better their health should be befor starting a constant training schedual." "Young teens who start a hard training system and who do not have already maintained a steady active rutein would not have the same effect as a teen who has already had a active life and therfor should build up gradualy."

[ QUOTE ]

here ya go....

Is it bad for children?

Boys enjoy more natural development during puberty and for a longer time afterwards. In fact, their peak gains in strength last for 18 months after their peak gains in size. However, strength training from puberty onwards would still be highly beneficial for boys. Puberty provides a great window of opportunity for them to develop strength through training because of the high testosterone levels. If regular training is maintained, the large possible gains at this time can last into adulthood. (Without regular training, i.e. at least once a week, children show the same detraining effects as adults.) For this reason I would also recommend starting 'adult-like' strength training for boys from puberty, depending on the pre-puberty training status. I reiterate that the aim should be to use 8-12 RM loads safely and effectively with pubertal boys by establishing good technique before the time when high-intensity training needs to begin.

Many coaches and parents believe that strength training is bad for children and even potentially dangerous. For instance, a myth exists that heavy weight-lifting too young will stunt growth. There is little research to suggest that weight training for young children is unsafe - in fact, most of it confirms that weight training is one of the safest exercises they can do. A child is much more likely to be injured on the football pitch, tennis court or running track than in the gym. Weltman et al (1986) specifically studied the effects of heavy strength training on young boys. During the training period, one of the 16 boys suffered a mild muscle strain and none of the boys showed any damage to the growth plates. In fact, strength training in young children will thicken the bones by promoting increased bone mineral density, and do nothing to hinder growth in length. I repeat once more, weight training with heavy loads is very safe if technique is correct and posture and stability are maintained. Poorly performed weight exercises are just as dangerous for adults as for children.

[/ QUOTE ]

^^He can copy and paste with ease! grin.gifJ/K

hey gamecocks...of course i cut and pasted that...i wouldn't claim otherwise. i just figured i'd help him with his question. lord knows i'd never write all of that...after all, i did spend my college days (and graduate) right there in your town of myrtle beach. go chanticleers!!!

no worries...i wasn't arguing anyways. when do u think the gamecocks and spurrier may be brave enough to schedule CCU???? speaking of which....since u know how to cut and paste, check this link....http://player.narrowstep.tv/nsp.aspx?player=tfn2#

once there...click on highlights. then click the little triangle that will send u to the second page. then click on "founded 2003 - birth of a tradition". enjoy