The "Best Of" thread...

Bluefield_Rules

In honor of the new season I thought we could get a discussion going of the "best" things around the area in high school football.

Best Stadium:

Best Fans (Sportsmanship/Friendly):

Best Stadium Food:

Best Stadium/Field for Pregame Activities (Tailgating, etc.):

Best Band:

Best Parking Situation:

And if you can think of anything else then just add it as we go...

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Best Stadium: Mitchell

Best Fans (Sportsmanship/Friendly):Richlands

Best Stadium Food: Never had any

Best Stadium/Field for Pregame Activities (Tailgating, etc.): No clue

Best Band:Graham

Best Park Situation: Mitchell

Cutest Cheerleaders:????

Best student section: bluefield

Sexiest man alive: bluefieldRocks grin.gif

Guest BB_TWEEDER

Cutest Cheerleaders "East Ridge"

I know they are not in swva, but damn they are sexy lol

And Richlands b-ball Cheerleaders are in a close second.

Sexiest man alive "BB_TWEEDER" laugh.gif

Best Band "Graham"

Best Fans " Honaker"

i can answer most of them questions with just two words

Best Stadium, Best Stadium/Field for Pregame Activities (Tailgating, etc.) these two in my opinion goes to the Bluefield Beavers....the stadium and pregame events at Bluefield are very, very nice and the food for most part was decent

however its my opinion that the best fans/student section come from the Renegade Nation, some might differ with me and that's fine, cause i am bias in that area seeing how i am one...lol

as for best band, eh who cares?

and the food, well food is food to me whether its good or not depends on how "hungry" i am

"cutest" cheerleaders: i've never seen a team that aint had cute or at least decent looking cheerleaders, so yeah

Best Stadium: Mitchell

Best Fans (Sportsmanship/Friendly): Richlands

Best Stadium Food: Tazewell

Best Stadium/Field for Pregame Activities (Tailgating, etc.): Mitchell

Best Band: Richlands

Best Parking Situation: Its high school football, parking is the same everywhere, crazy!

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What all really goes on at mitchell??..lol

I've really never knoticed anything..

[/ QUOTE ]

Some of the Richlands fans, went to the Graham/Tazewell game last year,had a tailgating party. Just basing it on past experiences!

From my personal experiences:

Best Stadium: Richlands

Best Fans (Sportsmanship/Friendly): Twin Valley always has pretty nice fans. Haysi does too unless they are playing Honaker lmao.

Best Stadium Food: Rye Cove ("eagle's nests"; yum yum!)

Best Stadium/Field for Pregame Activities (Tailgating, etc.): Honaker is the best I've seen!

Best Band: Richlands. Lebanon has a pretty good band too.

Best Park Situation: John Battle

Cutest Cheerleaders: Virginia High and Richlands! I've also seen a couple cuties from Tazewell.

Best student section: Richlands

Sexiest man alive: Everyone has beauty in their own way!!! grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]

"cutest" cheerleaders: i've never seen a team that aint had cute or at least decent looking cheerleaders, so yeah

[/ QUOTE ]

carrolls are very improved from last year. grin.gif

Best Stadium: Lee

Best Fans (Sportsmanship/Friendly): Richlands

Best Stadium Food: I'm on a Diet

Best Stadium/Field for Pregame Activities (Tailgating, etc.): Honaker

Best Parking Situation: Wherever it is, I haven't been there yet.

Best Atmosphere: Gate City

Best PA Anouncer: Virginia High

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What all really goes on at mitchell??..lol

I've really never knoticed anything..

[/ QUOTE ]

You should probably get out in the parking lot more. Before Bluefield games they always have tailgating going on everywhere. I'm talking RVs, music, grillin', etc.

A funny story of sorts. Three years ago, in 2002, when Bluefield traveled up to Wayne for a state semi-final game some people from Bluefield took their RVs up to the game. They were tailgating and having a good ol' time right outside main gate of Wayne's field. We were walking in behind a group of about 12 Wayne fans and they were stunned at seeing the RVs and tailgating going on. One of them remarked, "Wow, these Bluefield people take their football seriously and they do it right." Another one said, "I have never thought of tailgating like that before a high school game."

Best Stadium: Richlands

Best Fans (Sportsmanship/Friendly): Gate City,Honaker.

Best Stadium Food: Richlands,cant beat the hot chocolate.

Best Parking Situation: Have seen a place yet that had good parking.

Best Atmosphere: Gate City

Best PA Anouncer: Richlands

I think the best high school football facility in SWVA is Lee High's Five Star Stadium. Ten year ago or so, when they fielded quality teams, the Red Rage fans made it one of the best places to watch a game. Now that the Generals are suffering through some losing seasons, it's not as much fun to attend a game at the stadium. They still have the best band.

I agree with some of the other posters that Mitchell Stadium is a good facility and has great football atmosphere. I have witnessed several exciting games at that venue. But I recommend that every local highschool football fan see a game in Appalachia. It is the SWVA gridiron Mecca and THE place to experience high school football. The ghosts of so many great games hover over Riggs field on Autumn Friday nights, that you can sense their presence.

Best food - Gate City.

Best fans - Rye Cove.

Best nickname - Golden Wave.

Best uniforms - St. Paul.

Best field - Bullitt Park's.

Best stadium: George Wythe

Best Fans: No one is coming to mind here. wink.gif

Best Stadium Food: George Wythe

Best Pregame activities: Narrows

Best Band:Grayson Co. when it comes to precision

Best Parking Situation: Giles...I can park at the rescue squad and walk next door to the stadium. ; )

Best Stadium: Gate City - if you have never seen a big game there, it's worth missing a week of your "home" team just to feel the energy...one of the best atmosphere's you will find in HS Football period.

Best Fans (Sportsmanship/Friendly): Richlands - I thought it was cool how they rolled out the red carpet for Salem last year...very classy.

Best Stadium Food: Mitchell - prime rib sandwich...need I say more?

Best Stadium/Field for Pregame Activities (Tailgating, etc.): Mitchell - nothing like a game late in the season when it's blowing snow and the fuzzy hat's are doing their thing on the field...they always have a good pre-game at Mitchell.

Best Band: Richlands/Graham (tie) - can't really pick one over the other...top of the class in the SWD by far though...and Richlands almost took it because they sing "take me out to the ballgame" which...you don't see many HS bands actually "sing"...Graham's kids go all out to though so had to leave it at a tie.

Best Parking Situation: Mitchell - they should re-pave the beast, but it's easy to get in and out of compared to the the rest of the area schools.

Worst Sound System - Grundy...bullhorn speakers that have all high end and are on poles that block the view of the redzone at times...these things must have been leftover donations from a MASH unit or something...horrible. Combine that with a rousting rendition of "Cotton Eyed Joe" cranked up as loud as possible and you have ear bleed.

The best would have to go to Tazewell, on both sides of the field you can hear everything good...and it's a pretty simple set up from the looks of it.

Best Stadium: Lee High

Best Atmosphere: Gate City/Powell Valley

Best fans: Richlands.

Best field: Va High

Best Band: Richlands/Graham/Lee High...I'd throw J.I. Burton into that mix most of the time too. I just think you have to put Lee, they are always really good and throw in the fact that even when the football team is losing 55-0, you'd never be able to tell it by listening to the band over in the stands.

Best food: Can't remember ever being to a place with bad food.

Cutest Cheerleaders: Va High