Graham vs Beaver -BAD NEWS

CPF

Apparantly that was on the 6PM broadcast of WVVA, so I called to confirm. They told me that the issue is not resolved,but if the issue is not resolved by tomorrow night then the game will be at Richlands.

If everybody made the trip to Richlands, it would be obvious why the game can't be played anywhere but Mitchell. Talk about a public safety hazard. Has any school board member even seen the crowd that this game draws? I wouldn't anger that bunch.

if these people on the Tazewell C. School board cannot resolve this issue, then the sould NOT be re-elected.

They intend to destroy a lost standing tradition and if this is the best they can do they need to find another job!

i think there is too much behind the graham/beaver game to do it anywhere else.....if it is anywhere else then alot of people are gonna be disappointed and i don't think it will draw that big of a crowd

http://www.wvva.com/

Rivalry needs place to play

Written by Chris Miles

The Beaver-Graham game is one of the biggest sporting events of the year. This Friday it may not be played in it's familiar location Mitchell Stadium.

The contract between Tazewell county and Bluefield, West Virginia expired at the conclusion of last year's football season and has not been renewed.

The proposed cite for Friday's game is Richlands, Virginia.

Bluefield city officials have been working overtime to get a new deal done and city manager Mark Henny believes one will be finalized by tomorrow evening.

Mark Henne, Bluefield City Manager, "...very hopeful because this is involving our youth of our community. Two fine institutions Bluefield Beavers and Graham. People look forward to this day year round and certainly we are not going to deny them the opportunity to start the school season in grand fashion with a Graha--Bluefield Beaver football game and I'm concerned. The city board is concerned about that and the one way we can do that is to have at least the season covered as long as Graham and Bluefield are using that facility it's a lot of work to maintain that "

• 1 year later...

[ QUOTE ]

What is the new contract (how long) ??

[/ QUOTE ]

For as long as Graham HS is still in existence...or until the TCSB builds an adequate football stadium for Graham HS. I'd put my money on the first one...

Richlands has a horrible field.....if they get the field turf then it would be a good place to have the game. If not, the only good field in Tazewell County is at Tazewell, which i hope it wont be there either, why tear up tazewell or richlands' field to accomodate the overcharging city of bluefield??? Richlands would have more seating due to more room on the hill on the visitors side, although Tazewell has a much much nicer field, ie - no huge ankle breaking hump in the middle, no worm probs, and its usually in excellent shape all season. Tazewell has better parking...three different high school parking lots, the supply building next to the high school, the elementary parking lot, the vocational school parking lot, not to mention the entire practice field between the high school and elementary school. It is also a shorter drive for both teams.

maybe they should just have it at Pocahontas High school....