topic for conversation - Beaver / Graham

total

i hung out at the park for about an hour after the game and then ran into lots of folks out afterwards, and there was a specific topic that came up a couple times... and that was the possible game tying kick off return. i know we were all going nutz when he hit that seem, but then suddenly got it dashed when that ball came out and rolled out of bounds. a G-girl from the class of '95 that i was talking to brought it up and said, quote "yeah, that was some kind of divine intervention or something... when he fumbled, we all just looked at each other like - WHOA, what just happened?" i've heard a couple of people mention it sort of like that and say that coach himself reached down and swiped that ball away. any thoughts? or just part of the game?

NOTE - i predicted that Graham would win in comeback fashion... and i didn't mind it one bit. they did it for coach and it's something they can be very proud of and something they'll talk about for the rest of their lives, 'cuz i know me and my old football buddies still talk about the '91 game. but round 2 will be a different story. Graham will go down.....

hey total dont count your chickens until they hatch. either way it is going to be a classic for everyone to talk about for years to come graham beaver round 2 i dont remember that ever happening at least as long as i have been around to watch or listen about graham beaver football. it will be even better than round one because both will have games under their belt and want to prove that game one was not a fluke on either side for graham or for beaver. but will be just as close i feel. after friday i will know more about how i think it will be. after graham plays martinsville and beaver plays princeton especially after the blow out they put on last week granted against pv but still to put that many points up against anyone is amazing. no matter how bad they are. so maybe by next week i will give a closer opinion on the game

[ QUOTE ]

i hung out at the park for about an hour after the game and then ran into lots of folks out afterwards, and there was a specific topic that came up a couple times... and that was the possible game tying kick off return. i know we were all going nutz when he hit that seem, but then suddenly got it dashed when that ball came out and rolled out of bounds. a G-girl from the class of '95 that i was talking to brought it up and said, quote "yeah, that was some kind of divine intervention or something... when he fumbled, we all just looked at each other like - WHOA, what just happened?" i've heard a couple of people mention it sort of like that and say that coach himself reached down and swiped that ball away. any thoughts? or just part of the game?

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought the same thing when it happened...just as I thought about Coach Chmara leading the Beaver comeback in the Miracle at Mitchell last season. People can say what they want, but I definitely think there was "divine intervention" in both cases...

that is true but hopefully both teams will be full strength and grahams qb will not be nervous like he was friday night. from what i know this was his first graham beaver game to start and that is a lot for a kid to take in no matter what grade he is in. so maybe by round 2 the nerves will be gone from both sides and we will have a barn burner of a game between graham and beaver.

I had questioned that return myself, I was on the oppostie side of the field in the corner, and I couldn't quite be certain but it seemed to me that he had the sideline when he dropped the ball. Considering he's seems to be flat out "fast" it seemed he would have certainly scored otherwise.

It also seemed to be a case of just jittery sort of excitment, not thinking of securing the ball.

Has # 3 played football before? Only my opinion but he seems to be a player who's playing his 1st year ever and so has to learn or get used to a lot of things about the game, but someone who has a tremendous amount of natural ability along with blazing speed.

I also expected a big return maybe by that point after seeing that speed, and that said, in my opinion that might be a strong point for bluefield this season, the return teams. I wouldn't be surprised if they have numerous returns for scores and they must also catch the punts and go with them instead of just watching them.

[ QUOTE ]

What exactly happened on the kickoff return? Was he just running for a TD and just dropped the ball out of bounds?

[/ QUOTE ]

Its hard to explain..But he was holding the football like you would hold a basketball in front of you! If he would have had it tucked in, we could be talking about OT

[ QUOTE ]

Bluefield's QB (2nd string) was very nervous I think when he warms up to the high school level he will be ok

[/ QUOTE ]

True true! But what I am still wondering is why they didn't give him any time to warm-up! The only time he threw a pass was warm-ups before the game intill they put him in the game after JT got hurt! They should have took him off defense for a few plays so he could loosen up his arm! You can't just expect a QB to come straight in a game with a cold arm

[ QUOTE ]

I had questioned that return myself, I was on the oppostie side of the field in the corner, and I couldn't quite be certain but it seemed to me that he had the sideline when he dropped the ball. Considering he's seems to be flat out "fast" it seemed he would have certainly scored otherwise.

It also seemed to be a case of just jittery sort of excitment, not thinking of securing the ball.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are correct! With his speed he only had 1 man to beat and he could have went right down the sideline but instead he tryed to juke the graham player, and the way he was holding the football caused him to fumble out of bounds

[ QUOTE ]

Has # 3 played football before? Only my opinion but he seems to be a player who's playing his 1st year ever and so has to learn or get used to a lot of things about the game, but someone who has a tremendous amount of natural ability along with blazing speed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Im pretty sure this is his first year playing! But you have to give it to him! He played one hell of a game

The play ended with the fumble right in front of us and a Graham player had him pinned to the sideline. Now, could he have broken that tackle or juked his way lose? Quite possibly. However, as someone else pointed out he didn't get that chance b/c of the way he was carrying the football. He was carrying it out in front of him with both hands on it. Had the football been tucked away he would have never fumbled it. And regardless, of whether he fumbled it or not I don't think he would have scored.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

And regardless, of whether he fumbled it or not I don't think he would have scored.

[/ QUOTE ]

I Dunno..There was alot of open field in front of him..And not to many players behind him that can run a 4.3 lol

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm telling you, a Graham player had him pinned to the sideline and there was a mass of players right behind him. If that player didn't get him, I believe one of the kids behind him would have when he slowed to make the cut or whatever he tried. It doesn't matter though, he fumbled the ball and Graham won.

The player from Graham had a good angle of pursuit and basically had Payne trapped on the sideline. Bluefield_Rules and I were sitting right next to each other and the fumble happened almost directly in front of us on the field. I think Payne fumbled for a number of reasons, one being that he was thinking of making the move to elude the Graham player instead of securing the ball and the fact that he had some tacklers closing in from behind him, to the wide side of the field.

He was pinned to the sideline whe he fimbled and steven brown was the one that caught him if i'm not mistaken. Also there were 2 or 3 other players from graham over there bacause one of them fell on the ball but they were out of bounds. I was standing right behind the fence were it happened so I had a good look at it. I was nervous for a second though.

the ball carrier had made a move to shake the last Graham defender and when he did the defender bit on it BUT he also dropped the ball and the scrum for it began and eventually went out of bounds, the player that he put the move on was the only one that mightve had a chance to stop him... the D was pursuing but he had lead with a cpl blockers behind him so had he not dropped the ball i think he wouldve been gone b/c the lone Graham player that had a shot at him bit on the juke even tho he did have the angle

[ QUOTE ]

the player that he put the move on was the only one that mightve had a chance to stop him... the D was pursuing but he had lead with a cpl blockers behind him so had he not dropped the ball i think he wouldve been gone b/c the lone Graham player that had a shot at him bit on the juke even tho he did have the angle

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats what I think 2