Best QB IN SWD

richland_fan

Mike Patton was the QB for Graham in the late 80's and I don't know what kind of records you're talking about but I'm sure HT Matthews has most of Graham Highs QB records with the numbers he put up and the team he had around him. There have been some pretty good Qbs is the SWD though in the last 20 years. Matthews and Gray at Graham. Dye at Richlands, Crigger at Grundy and the Justus kid that is there now. I don't think Tazewell has had one on the 1st team SWD in a long time. Maybe Noel from the 90-91 teams.

He is the best QB the SWD has saw in 15-20 years after only starting two games? Wow, if he is that good already I want to see him after he starts 3 games! Seriously, he would have a long way to go to even be as good as Timmy Brown, who was a very good quarterback. But the best in 15-20 years after two starts.....lol........

I am talking about the SWD records not school records. I think that kids name was J-gray from graham. But who holds the SWD TD,YARDS,rushing yards, rushing TDs etc... In the SWD or does anyone know.

He'd have to go a long way still to even be better than Crigger...he's the best in the SWD right now..Saunders probably second and Theo third...Theo has shown a lot of improvement this year and with Grundy hell bent on throwing the ball for some reason could end up with good #'s...have to wait and see.

I would almost guarantee H.T. Matthews of Graham set/broke every passing record in the SWD in 2001...I'm not sure what the exact numbers were but I have them at home and will post them tomorrow.

Prior to that the best QB in the SWD had to be the kid from Tazewell in the mid/late 80s...help me out with his name Tidbit...

[ QUOTE ]

The davis guy? I've heard a number of people talk about him, but I'm not really sure when he graduated. According to the people from Tazewell though, he was a great player.

[/ QUOTE ]

BINGO!!! Jesse Davis!!! The kid was a PLAYER!!! He had an arm like a cannon...I saw him throw the ball 80 yards in the air against Bluefield at Mitchell Stadium. I think he graduated in '86 maybe???

Well thats pretty good I say that about has it then. What was his stats in 10 games regular season because the stats dont count in playoffs I dont think.(not Sure)But I say he has the records anyway. Anyone Know Dye stats or The Crigger guys stats or the Guy from Tazwell just to compare since thats the onl names that came up.

The key word with McCracken is potential. He has this year and next to play QB at Richlands then we can compare him with the best.

Timmy Brown could throw the ball very well. His passing ability was under used IMO. My only knock would be that he held the ball too long and made bad throws under pressure.

the richlands qb is terrible if it wasnt for there line richlands would be terrible. they play nobody and they havent beat nobody. the thing is that everyone is weak and richlands is the best team this year. as for winning what the shoild Ii doubt it. they will blow it somtime in the playoffs. also they moved down to div 3 where the teams are terrible.

[ QUOTE ]

Jason Copenhaven played QB at Grundy as well a while ago didnt he? He was an excellent athlete. Crigger was good too!

[/ QUOTE ]

Copenhaver started at QB the year grundy went to the state semis and lost to Salem. He was nothing short of a stud.

Everybody knows how good Crigger was....not only was he good..but damn if he wasn't clutch.

When you talk about Southwest District you have to remember that at one time that includes the Highlands District. But the current record holder for Touchdown passes is Tommy Crigger from Grundy and it is in the 20's. Before that it was a guy from Abingdon in 1977 and it was 17. Before that is was Brad Denardo from Graham at 14 in 1969. As far as yards in a season and in a game I don't know.

Did Crigger have more than HT Matthews? And the player from Abingdon who held the record was none other than former graham assistant coach Sam McKinney with 17, and that would have been prior to 1977.

thing about it is...if you are a Grundy fan and you hear the name Crigger the first thing that pops in your head is "two minute drill"...he was a good one under pressure...probably the only QB Grundy has ever had that was just as comfortable down by 6 in the 4th and on the last drive as he was in the first quarter...and knew how to read a defense as good as any QB i've ever seen in HS....smart guy.

[ QUOTE ]

This richlands QB is probably the best the SWD has seen in 15-20 years. Whats the records in the swd? I think the Graham QB has all the the records at QB I forgot the guys name. He played late eighties.

[/ QUOTE ]

I could name 4 Qb's better than him.

1) Eddie Neal- Graham

2) Jesse Davis- Tazewell

3) H. T. Matthews- Graham

4) Mike Patton- Graham

I know Eddie Neal is at the just beyond the stated time frame, but he and Jesse Davis are the two best QB's I have ever seen in this district. Both were incredible in the clutch.

Stevie Dye threw for 1002 yards in the regular season in 1994. Against Lee High he was 20 for 40 with 384 yards passing and SIX touchdown passes. The reason he did not have more yards is because we did not need to throw the ball regularly. J. McCommons had about 1770 yards rushing in 12 games. Stevie ran the option like few before or after him. When the time came for Stevie to step up and perform, he always did.