for the poster "swd"

mhsalum

your quote...Yeah but most of those wins came when Martinsville was triple A and beating the AA scools...

i hate when people spew garbage solely for the purpose of smack talking about topics they know nothing about. martinsville only played aaa for 3-4 years in the early 70s. i'm not gonna get into a swd versus pd conversation b/c the piedmont only moved to region iv circa 1995 and i missed much of the mid to late 90s because i was off at college. although i do know that in the late 90s mhs had some very strong teams that made it to states before bowing out to salem, so i would assume they had some success against 'mountain teams' along the way..........anyhow, i think you're barking (pardon the pun) up the wrong tree by singling out the bulldogs. i've been trying to nail it down to the exact year, but mhs doesn't have a losing season in their record book since somewhere before 1980 (and before someone jumps on that stat, i'm aware of the 'asterisk' from a couple years back). coach edwards now has 193 victories in his 24th year at the helm, or basically an average of more than 8 wins a year! he has 10 district titles, 7 regional titles, 2 state runner-ups, along with one state title. as i always say, not too darn bad for a "basketball school". as far as this season goes, hopefully we've gotten past trying to run the spread offense and have gotten back to playing old-fashioned bulldog football. we seem to have rebounded from that awful showing against graham with a nice 27-7 win on the road against rustburg. our schedule still has a formidable gretna squad on it, along with two aaa teams (all 3 games on the road) as well as the piedmont slate so we've got a long ways to go. i think we'll be just fine and hopefully we'll be able to try and prove our mettle against another 'mountain team' once the playoffs get here.

Mhsalum you know that I would never mention the *(since we were the *). Mavahi has had great football for many a year,believe me I remember going to watch Taylor and Sonny Wade play at old Ben Ramsey field, thru Mahan,Varn ,Mason in the 70's,and on and on. The 'Dogs record speaks for itself and it is a mighty fine record at that!! On a side note, are ya'll going to get the monkey off your back and beat the Warriors at Dan Greene this year? Hope not, that's a record I'd like to see stand awhile!! LOL

after that showing against fleming, i would've said "no way!".....but then came the not so impressive turnover display against franklin county. it was so strange the first several years of mvhs's existence (my days in high school)...mavahi would win there and magna vista would win at dan greene. since then, mv hasn't only won on the road, but many of the games at home as well. i'm just hoping coach can get to 200 somehow this season since i think he's soon on his way to retirement....pretty lofty goal, but it sure would be nice. by the way....if this is whom i think it is....did ya see my chanticleers take down the number one ranked jmu??? i was there...one of the catches by the simpson kid from reidsville was the number one play on sportscenter's top 10 last nite.

Yes I did. My brother(a JMU Alum) has been given much grief about this. I believe the Dukes thought the game was over and forgot to play the last 6 minutes. A great win for an up and coming program. Get the recruits down, take them to the ocean,then to Broadway, then stop by for some "Crazy Horse" action(I know they are only 18,but we'll sneak them in the back door). Who wouldn't want to play for the Chants!!! By the way looks like Troy had a great recruiting year didn't he?? LOL! Halifax,Kingsport,TN...When is the big kid from Uganda suppose to get here?? LMAO

oh....speaking of that...the tallest and eldest of the kids that moved from halifax actually was too old, or had already graduated, or something was fishy with his transcripts, or something along those lines. dad told me the specifics, but i forget exactly. either way, he isn't eligible. just my opinion from what i saw of him at wm byrd, but i think he would've been a terror at defensive end. every bit of 6'5 225 and extremely quick feet for that size.......i don't think troy cares whether he comes from uganda or wherever else, but if he could find a 6'9-6'10, he would be extremely pleased... smile.gif

I know I am not on the money with most of my stats butr I just go by what I hear from other teams. Taylor Edward is one og the best coaches in the state and it is proven. I am just saying in the past 10 years they made it I think one time to the state playoffs. Tis does not mean that they havent had a winning record it just means they haven't beat the mountain teams alot.

In the last 10 years, Martinsville is 6-8 in the playoffs. In that time they've played teams from 4 districts. Their records against those districts are as follows:

Southwest (3-1)

1997 Defeated Grundy 19-14

1998 Defeated Richlands 42-14

1999 Defeated Carroll Co. 37-27

2003 Lost to Graham 10-49

Highlands (1-1)

1997 Lost to Lee 20-28 OT

2000 Defeated Marion 14-7

Piedmont (2-3)

1996 Lost to Magna Vista 0-22

1998 Defeated Patrick Co. 36-8

1999 Defeated Tunstall 21-14

2000 Lost to Magna Vista 0-12

2001 Lost to Magna Vista 11-14

Blue Ridge (0-3)

1995 Lost to Salem 0-31

1998 Lost to Salem 0-17

1999 Lost to Salem 0-31

So your argument is full of crap. Looks like they would be better off playing the "mountain teams". It would certainly be easier than playing either Salem or Magna Vista, who have three playoff wins each against the Bulldogs in the last 10 years.

[ QUOTE ]

Southwest (3-1)

1997 Defeated Grundy 19-14

1998 Defeated Richlands 42-14

1999 Defeated Carroll Co. 37-27

2003 Lost to Graham 10-49

[/ QUOTE ]

Looks like some teams just can't seem to get the job done... grin.gif

nice research there cougarfan....and the great thing to me about those stats is that even the most diehard bulldog fan would tell u that the 2003 squad that got hammered by graham at mitchell was the antithesis of a playoff caliber squad. they were within one point, a missed pat, of possibly starting the season 1-5! they finished the regular season at 6-4 and they really only made the playoffs because there was only 7 other teams at the time in their division in region iv.